DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Coupling: Season 3???? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338887-coupling-season-3-a.html)

RevKarl 01-03-04 04:32 AM

Coupling: Season 3????

Now that the U.S. version of Coupling has been (mercifully) cancelled, has anyone heard of a release date in R1
for Coupling: The Complete Third Season?

fiver 01-03-04 08:56 AM

The previous two series have been released in October in R1 (a year apart from each other) so I'm assuming series 3 will be hitting R1 this coming October. I do wish these series would come at a faster rate. It's as frustrating as Red Dwarf only releasing two series every February when there are 8 series to release.

Michael

kevin75 01-03-04 09:42 AM

i can wait for S3 on dvd, i just want S4 to hurry up!!

Nierfacon 01-03-04 10:12 AM

Originally posted by fiver
The previous two series have been released in October in R1 (a year apart from each other) so I'm assuming series 3 will be hitting R1 this coming October.
:confused: Series 1 hit DVD in R1 on January 21, 2003. Series 2 was on October 28, 2003.

Heckuva way to spend my 100th post here! :p

RobCA 01-03-04 10:42 AM

I hope it's soon. And I know I'm in the minority, but I'd buy the U.S. version, if they included the six unaired episodes. It sucked in comparison to the British version, but on its own merits, I didn't think it was that bad. It seemed to be getting better, which is why I'm particularly interested in seeing the unaired eps.

Anyway, bring on season 3 of Coupling UK! :drool:

Rob

jayson1017 01-03-04 01:53 PM

I hope Singling comes out dvd also.

Matthew Chmiel 01-03-04 03:04 PM

If it follows a 10 month release schedule, we should see it August 2004. Hopefully it's quicker than that.

What I think would be cool is when Season 3 comes to DVD, Universal or Lions Gate (I know Lions Gate has a deal with NBC involving their television shows) releases a 2-disc set of all the US Coupling episodes. While nowhere near as good as the UK version, I still enjoyed it and would purchase it.

jough 01-03-04 05:08 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 4th series of Coupling.

And I'd probably pick up the bizarre American clone version too (I mean, to copy a show from dialogue, to sets, to SHOTS - just odd - it's like the Van Sant version of Psycho) just because that Rena Sofer is so dang hot.

MrN 01-04-04 11:14 AM

Originally posted by jough
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 4th series of Coupling.

Has this aired in England? And if so, when can we expect it on BBCA?

Patman 01-04-04 03:50 PM

I don't think Season 4 has aired yet, and also, Richard Coyle (Jeff) was reported not to be coming back to the show. :(

I've been watching Season 3 episodes on my local PBS station, and the show has lost none of its steam, it's damn funny stuff, and a little bit on the poignant side as well.

MisterHowie 01-04-04 06:17 PM

Richard Coyle is not coming back to the show??? That's awful - he's arguably the funniest character!

I hope these DVDs keep coming because 2 seasons is not much to hold me over.....

Pac-Rat 01-04-04 07:33 PM

Originally posted by MrN
Has this aired in England? And if so, when can we expect it on BBCA?
Filming begins in Feb (25?, I think). Since there's only 6 episodes, best guess is it will air in the US late summer/early Fall.

As far as Coyle goes- He didn't write the character, have imput/creative control, nor direct the show. Moffat can just as easily disperse his genius to the other characters.

jough 01-04-04 08:54 PM

As has been stated, the fourth season hasn't even been shot, yet alone aired on the BBC.

Hopefully there won't be too long a wait for Season 3 on DVD, but 2 just came out two months ago. So you could be waiting a bit.

Judremy 01-04-04 09:53 PM

Good news about season 3 for BBC America viewers:

Thu, Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:00 pm EST

The third season of the comedy where six sexy and sort-of-single friends navigate the minefield of love. Following an argument, Steve and Susan split up and make their separate ways to the Temple Of Woman. Ser. 3, Ep. 1

Here is the schedule from BBC America's website:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/P..._name=Coupling

EPKJ 01-05-04 02:07 AM

Richard Coyle is not returning. This was announced officially by Steven Moffat on the BBC America website in November. No reasons were given, however, it seems as if all efforts were made to keep him with the series. We will probably never hear of Mr. Coyle again.

mythmaker18 01-05-04 07:58 AM

Originally posted by jough
As has been stated, the fourth season hasn't even been shot, yet alone aired on the BBC.

Hopefully there won't be too long a wait for Season 3 on DVD, but 2 just came out two months ago. So you could be waiting a bit.

Or, if you have a multi-region player as I do, you could buy the R2 release now. I just couldn't wait 'til the autumn for an R1 release.

As for series 4, Jeff will be relplaced by comic book store owner Oliver, to be played by Richard Mylan.

Also, considering series 3 is just getting ready to have its first run on BBC-A, I wouldn't expect the American channel to get series 4 anytime this year. I'm sure the R2 DVD will be out way before that.

mythmaker18 01-05-04 08:03 AM

Originally posted by EPKJ
No reasons were given, however, it seems as if all efforts were made to keep him with the series. We will probably never hear of Mr. Coyle again.
It's possible that Coyle was afraid of being typecast as Jeff.

As for not hearing from him again, since series 3 of Coupling, he has starred in his own series, called Strange, and will be appearing in an historical mini-series called Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.

Although sad news for Coupling, leaving is probably a wise career move for Coyle.

prayformojo 01-05-04 08:18 AM

Series Three has already been run multiple times on BBC-A, so hopefully we are closer to a DVD release than previously thought.

RobCA 01-05-04 09:09 AM

Yup, my partner and I watched Series 3 on BBCAmerica months ago, and loved it. It never ceases to amaze me how brilliantly written it is. Can't wait for the DVD!

Rob

jough 01-05-04 12:58 PM

I'm in the television ghetto of having to watch the new shows on the local PBS station, which gets the shows only after they've run a few times on BBC-A.

So they're just starting now.

But I'm perfectly willing to wait for the joy of owning them on DVD.

Agrajag 01-08-04 05:14 AM

Sorry but Coupling without Jeff is like Seinfeld without Kramer or George. It just isn't the same show. The biggest laughs come from Jeff. I don't care who created him. Cheers wasn't as funny when Diane left and she wasn't the creator or writer either so that theory isn't valid. Moffat was also heavily involved in the VERY failed (though I liked it more than most) US version so he's not infalible.

I was looking very forward to Season 4 but without Jeff it'll be like looking forward to a cake without icing.

RobCA 01-08-04 09:01 AM

Personally, I couldn't stand Kramer or George, which is probably why I never liked Seinfeld as much as everyone else seems to. And as much as I like Shelley Long and Diane, I thought the show was just as good after she left, sometimes even better, due to the quality of the other cast members, and the superb writing.

Coupling has those things going for it too, in my opinion, so I'm hoping it'll be more like Cheers after Diane, and less like Are You Being Served after Mr. Lucas. ;)

Rob

mythmaker18 01-08-04 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Agrajag
Sorry but Coupling without Jeff is like Seinfeld without Kramer or George. It just isn't the same show. The biggest laughs come from Jeff. I don't care who created him. Cheers wasn't as funny when Diane left and she wasn't the creator or writer either so that theory isn't valid.
Hardly fair to pass judgement before the episodes have even been filmed (let alone watched by you).

Moffat was also heavily involved in the VERY failed (though I liked it more than most) US version so he's not infalible.
Not quite true. He was heavily involved in the original pilot but he and producer/wife Sue Vertue were barred from the set of the second pilot and were told, quite firmly, to take a creative "back seat." The show was, basically, taken out of Moffat's hands before it even got to air and turned over to Phoef Sutton.

Read what happened, in Moffat's own words here:
Zap2it article
for the complete story.

I was looking very forward to Season 4 but without Jeff it'll be like looking forward to a cake without icing.
As I said before, watch it first. You might be pleasantly surprised. Some shows have done quite well coping with cast changes. Perhaps Coupling will be one of those successes.

Red Dog 01-08-04 09:14 AM

Cheers wasn't as funny when Diane left and she wasn't the creator or writer either so that theory isn't valid.

I think you'll find many who will disagree with you, including myself. I liked Cheers so much more with Rebecca.

rfduncan 01-08-04 09:46 AM

Moffat was also heavily involved in the VERY failed (though I liked it more than most) US version so he's not infalible.
I would say that the improper casting of Jeff was the central failing point of the American version actually. If you look at the 1st season, Jeff is basically the center of the group. He's the connection Susan, Sally and Patrick and Steve and Jane. While the other actors were passable, Christopher Moynihan was easily the WORST at line delivery of the American cast... he replaced Breckin Meyer.

I'd only purchase the American version if it included the ORIGINAL casting with Melissa George (Susan), Emily Rutherford (Sally) and Meyer as Jeff. THAT I'd pay money to see!