DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   The Ring (Three DVD set): Yes, another "what is this" post! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338831-ring-three-dvd-set-yes-another-what-post.html)

Brent L 01-02-04 08:52 PM

The Ring (Three DVD set): Yes, another "what is this" post!

What is this?

I've never seen any of these DVDs in these cases, etc... Is this something special, bootlegs, or what?

Skorp 01-02-04 09:18 PM

Looks like bootlegs, using graphics modified from the Tartan UK releases (which are PAL).

You can see the legit releases here.

Brent L 01-02-04 09:33 PM

Are you totally sure about that? I'm just looking for confirmation.

fnordboy 01-02-04 09:48 PM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Are you totally sure about that? I'm just looking for confirmation.
They are the Tartan cover graphics and say they are Region 1. The Tartan releases are Region 2.

There are no Region 1 releases of the Ring 2 or 0 movies. They are boots.

Edit: Even if these are in some way legit and are Tartans'. The Tartan releases are PAL not NTSC.

caiman 01-02-04 09:49 PM

If nothing else, the fact that they're Region 1 should be a dead giveaway that they're boots.

EDIT: Beaten like an unwanted foster child.

Brent L 01-02-04 10:02 PM

Ok, thanks a lot.

I can't believe this guy has 100% feedback though. Could it be he just doesn't know that they are boots, or is it just other people just don't know/care?

caiman 01-02-04 10:04 PM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Ok, thanks a lot.

I can't believe this guy has 100% feedback though. Could it be he just doesn't know that they are boots, or is it just other people just don't know/care?

I would guess that the person who buys this knows full well it's a bootleg. But then I often underestimate the idiocy of most Ebay users, so who knows.

Brent L 01-02-04 10:06 PM

Thanks a lot, it's appriciated.

jayson1017 01-02-04 11:28 PM

Definitely bootlegs...

movieking 01-03-04 07:35 AM

A few years ago before The Ring was released in the US, I tried to get the Japanese trilogy on ebay. I purchased what I later found out to be a bootleg version of it, since there was no Region 1 released at the time (I didn't know that at the time). Anyway, to make a long story short, I never even received it (do these bootleggers have no respect?). As it turned out, those versions had bad video and subtitle troubles, so beware.

DealMan 01-03-04 10:02 AM

A friend of mine bought this exact set from a sci-fi convention about 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't seen the Dreamworks Ringu release to compare, but the quality of these DVDs leaves a little something to be desired. Still, if it wasn't for these discs I would've never seen Ring 0 or Ring 2 (Actually, I wish I hand't wached either one!)

Brent L 01-03-04 11:05 AM

Thanks for the additional info!

gutwrencher 01-03-04 02:17 PM

awful picture, shitty audio and disgusting sub-titles...sometimes you cant read 1 word. the only boots in my collection, which I've now given away.

Supermallet 01-03-04 04:48 PM

I have to mention, Tartan has made at least one region 0 NTSC release, and that is for Battle Royale. I bought it in a respectable store that does not stock bootlegs, bought straight from Tartan, so I know it's real. So it is possible that Tartan is starting to make NTSC releases of its catalogue. However, these do not look like that. First of all, the Battle Royale disc says "NTSC VERSION" in big letters at the top. Secondly, it is region 0, these say region 1. I agree that these are bootlegs, but just wanted to mention that at least on one occasion, Tartan has made a region 0 NTSC film.

jough 01-03-04 05:45 PM

Sometimes, of course, the bootlegs are done very well.

I'm just saying.

NaturalMystic79 01-03-04 11:08 PM

OMG! In his user profile (the seller), he has exactly 666 positives! Now that is freaky!

Peep 01-03-04 11:33 PM

Well, the very reputable on-line store cd-wow was selling the following product for a while but no longer is: The Ring Cycle (Special 3 Disc Set) - DVD Region Free Price: A$63.95. My guess is just that it was a limited edition packaging of the 3 HK releases.

The Australian site FamilyBoxOffice.com still is selling a region-4 "Ring Cycle" which also contains all 4 movies. It is still on sale at http://www.familyboxoffice.com.au/movie.asp?ID=9864

So, although I'm not recommending buying from this person, I wouldn't be so quick to label this package a bootleg as it definately exists.

Skorp 01-04-04 11:05 AM

Except the seller is claiming that these are "Original Tartan Releases" and are Region 1. As has been pointed out above, Tartan is a UK company and their DVDs of The Ring movies have been PAL Region 0.

Peep 01-04-04 02:21 PM

Oops, sorry.