DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Ransom & Splash SE Details (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338527-ransom-splash-se-details.html)

RobCA 12-31-03 05:59 PM

Ransom & Splash SE Details

From DVDAnswers:

Touchstone Home Entertainment have kindly sent over details on a special edition release of Ransom which stars Mel Gibson. This Ron Howard film will be available to own from the 23 March next year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.99. I'm afraid that full disc specs and artwork have yet to be released, although we can tell you that the film will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include a feature length audio commentary with director Ron Howard, four deleted scenes, a behind the scenes featurette with cast and crew interviews, and a 'Between Takes' feature which goes behind the scenes with cast and crew between takes. We'll bring you further details with the artwork as soon as it becomes available.
Also from DVDAnswers:

Touchstone have also sent over details on a 20th Anniversary release of Ron Howard's Splash which stars Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah. This romantic comedy will also be available to own from the 23rd March and should set you back around $29.99. The film will receive a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include an audio commentary with director Ron Howard and writers Brian Grazer, Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel. Accompanying this will be an introduction to the commentary. Other features will include Tom Hanks' and Daryl Hannah's original audition tapes along with introductions by Ron Howard and a Making A Splash behind the scenes featurette. We'll bring you the artwork as soon as it becomes available to us. Stay tuned.

Rogue588 12-31-03 06:50 PM

re: Splash SE on DVD:

:hump: :banana: :hump:

Doughboy 12-31-03 07:30 PM

Nice. I'd thought about picking up the current Ransom DVD, but the non-anamorphic transfer and lack of extras held me back. Well, that and I've got the director's cut on LD. Speaking of which, I'm guessing those deleted scenes will be the same as the ones reinserted into the laserdisc cut.

Artman 12-31-03 07:55 PM

Cool - i was about to cave in and get the current Ransom DVD. Were those deleted scenes any good? Are we misssing out by not getting the DC on DVD?

Cornelius1047 12-31-03 08:33 PM

:up: for Ransom: SE! Love this flick and have always wanted a SE of it on DVD. This is one of the only movies that chokes me up and it's not even sad in the way most, um, *tearjerkers* are. Maybe it's just scary, but I think Mel's performance in a lot of this is top notch.

K

Rizor 12-31-03 08:34 PM

Wasn't there a report over a year ago that Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah were doing a commentary for Splash? What happened to that?

Here's a link to the report:
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/362/362694p1.html

d2cheer 12-31-03 08:35 PM

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/220501 as far as Ransom goes it is probably the same as this one( I own it) which is pretty good. The deleted scenes really don't add much though...

meritocracy 12-31-03 09:45 PM

I've no interest in the Ransom disk, but great news on the Splash SE. I'm also curious about the Hanks and Hannah commentary as I also recall reading about this.

Doughboy 12-31-03 11:04 PM

Were those deleted scenes any good? Are we misssing out by not getting the DC on DVD?
They're decent, but the movie's long enough already without them. From what I recall, it's mostly scenes with Gibson and Russo talking about their son. Fleshes out the characters, but does nothing to advance the plot.

I had no idea there was already an SE release overseas. I'm not a big fan of PAL speedup though, so I'll just wait for the Region 1 DVD.

basaro 01-01-04 12:09 AM

cool, that's good news. I would get both of them.

now, when the hell is cocoon coming?

DGibFen 01-01-04 12:46 AM

I thought a Laserdisc of Ransom had a "director's cut"?

If so, are the four deleted scenes part of that?

movielib 01-01-04 12:50 AM

The LD director's cut has 18 extra minutes over the theatrical cut. Since I saw them many years apart I can't really say what was added. What I know is that my impression of the movie in the theater was that it was fairly choppy and seemed to lack more than a few decent transitions. When I saw the LD cut I felt like it flowed much better and it seemed "right." It seemed to me a much better film.

digitalfreaknyc 01-01-04 01:36 AM

Ugh....well this is great news that it's finally being released here in the US. I got the Korean SE so that it wouldn't have the PAL speed up but it's not anamorphic. But, I'm not sure about getting rid of that one. It has a DTS track...so do i keep it for the dts but leave it non-anamorphic or trade up to the anamorphic without the DTS. *sigh*

In any case, for those wondering, the 4 deleted scenes are different than what was in the laserdisc. It's too late to pull out my Korean disc but they DO NOT total the 18 minutes on the laser so you'll have to hold on to it.

And btw...i said it before with the Panic Room SE and I'll say it again...March is looking like it's going to kill my wallet...

Shagrath 01-01-04 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Rizor
Wasn't there a report over a year ago that Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah were doing a commentary for Splash? What happened to that?

Here's a link to the report:
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/362/362694p1.html

I have the R2 Splash SE, and I'm pretty sure it has the Tom Hanks/Darryl Hannah commentary, as well as the audition tapes. Not entirely sure, since it's not in front of me, but I'm pretty damn sure this looks like just a rehash of the R2.

digitalfreaknyc 01-01-04 10:56 AM

Wonder if this means that the long fabled Crimson Tide SE can't be far behind.

Again...wonder if they'll have the DTS track from R3 on it. It's got some serious rumble behind it.

bboisvert 01-01-04 02:00 PM

I really hope the upcoming DVD of Ransom is the extended LD release. Yes, it is longer. And, yes, it doesn't do much to advance the 'plot'. But it does definitely give more character moments and I think it improves the overall weight of the story. We'll see... but in the meantime, I'm hanging onto my LD.

By the way, any word if the Ransom commentary is the same that was released in Region 4?

digitalfreaknyc 01-01-04 02:27 PM

This new version is NOT going to be the extended version.

It WILL be the same commentary as in R2-4.

JimRochester 01-01-04 03:25 PM

Remember seeing Splash way beck when I was dating my wife. The scene with John Candy smoking while playing raquetball is a classic. I'll be picking that one up.

jayson1017 01-02-04 05:22 PM

<s>eewww.. Splash and Ransom? Watch High and Low (Kurosawa) instead of Ransom.</s>

<i>No threadcrapping</i>

Tarantino 01-02-04 05:57 PM

Originally posted by jayson1017
eewww.. Splash and Ransom? Watch High and Low (Kurosawa) instead of Ransom.
Was that necessary? Do you have anything good to say in any of your posts? :crap:

I for one, am looking forward to the Ransom disc, although I've never seen Splash.

jayson1017 01-03-04 02:21 PM

I regret that you feel this way about my informative though opinionated postings on dvdtalk.

I also regret that you find nothing in my informative though opinionated postings to be very much good.

I will retract my informative though opinionated postings regard Splash and Ransom. Those dvds are tolerated by people. Therefore, they should be tolerated.

On the side, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were movies that I liked.

RobCA 01-03-04 02:32 PM

Personally, I haven't found your postings to be very informative, but I've certainly found them to be opinionated. ;) You might want to check out this thread. :)

Rob

badger1997 01-03-04 09:49 PM

I regret that you feel this way about my informative though opinionated postings on dvdtalk.

I also regret that you find nothing in my informative though opinionated postings to be very much good.

I will retract my informative though opinionated postings regard Splash and Ransom. Those dvds are tolerated by people. Therefore, they should be tolerated.

On the side, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were movies that I liked.

WTF? Remind me to run all my future DVD purchases through you first to make sure they meet your standards and aren't merely movies that the great unwashed masses happen to "tolerate." :rolleyes:

Tarantino 01-03-04 09:54 PM

eewww.. Splash and Ransom? Watch High and Low (Kurosawa) instead of Ransom.
And come on now...informative? This post only informs me that you're...nah, I won't go there.

digitalfreaknyc 01-03-04 10:54 PM

ok...can we get back to bashing Touchtone for NOT including DTS tracks and waiting so long to get these discs out here in the states??? :)