Panic Room 3-disc SE: March '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YAY
Old 01-03-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know we live in the Age of Revisionism, but nothing will change the fact that Fincher directed the film and kept his name on it, regardless of how many problems he had in making it or how unhappy he is with the final work.
Fincher NEVER wants to return to anything relating back to Alien 3. It was his first mainstream film project and he knew that if he went against the studio in any of their wishes, he would be screwed and would never be allowed to work in Hollywood ever again. Same if he took his name off, he probably wouldn't have went on and directed Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, and Panic Room. He let the studio have their way with his film and he never looked back. FOX did pay him back by letting him do Fight Club through.

If you had an awful experience, would you want to return to that? If Fincher was punshing the fans, he would've told the producers to not let them re-create the cut that he originally wanted or not to have any of the special features feature him. If Fincher doesn't want anything to do with Alien 3, that's fine in my book. While I would've liked to have a more detailed look into what went wrong, I'm not going to bitch out Fincher for it.
Old 01-03-04, 04:06 PM

I'm not "bitching" Fincher out about anything. Relax.

Again, I just said it's a shame. And I say that because I love his work and I think his DVD commentaries are generally excellent. I can think of no film of his I'd rather have heard commentary for than Alien 3 which, despite its serious flaws, is in my opinion, a superior film to Panic Room and a far more important behind-the-scenes story that needs to be told from the director's point-of-view.

An aside: Strange that Fincher seems to be fairly jovial with everyone in the Quadrilogy photos of Alien 3's premiere. I wonder how much he would have hated the film if it was actually a well-received hit with critics and fans alike.

I'm looking forward to the Panic Room SE mostly to see more of Fincher's process, and not because it's a film that warrants such lavish treatment which, frankly, I don't think it does. No matter. I'm sure it will deliver the goods and then some.
Old 01-03-04, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Profbobo, it would be cool if that were the final cover. I think the Word mis-spelling squigglies in the text are funny.

I've been waiting for this one for awhile. I had heard about the eventual SE back when the first disc was released. I was going to wait to watch the film on this upcoming DVD but I caved and watched in on pay cable. The Pan and Scan was horrible but the film was pretty good. Not as good as The Game so I'll second the call for a super-duper The Game SE (that's a Universal title, though, so a 3-disc set is unlikely).

I'm glad CTS is willing to put together two discs of extras. Good on them, and they'll be getting my money for it.
Old 01-04-04, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by Count de Monet

Fincher could have used an Alien 3 commentary to set the record straight and get a lot off his chest, since he obviously still has strong feelings about the experience.
Considering the face-saving last-minute deletions of nearly all the explicitly anti-Fox material, I'm sure anything revealing from Fincher would have been left on the cutting room floor, which he very likely realized would happen when he was first approached about the AQ project.
Old 01-04-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Strange that Fincher seems to be fairly jovial with everyone in the Quadrilogy photos of Alien 3's premiere.
I'm pretty sure he has no problems with the cast (the cast seemed to realize the hell Fox was putting him through).

I'm sure anything revealing from Fincher would have been left on the cutting room floor, which he very likely realized would happen when he was first approached about the AQ project.
That or Fincher really doesn't want to say anything to upset the studio executives at Fox. He might need work one day.
Old 01-04-04, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by jough
Profbobo, it would be cool if that were the final cover. I think the Word mis-spelling squigglies in the text are funny.

I've been waiting for this one for awhile. I had heard about the eventual SE back when the first disc was released. I was going to wait to watch the film on this upcoming DVD but I caved and watched in on pay cable. The Pan and Scan was horrible but the film was pretty good. Not as good as The Game so I'll second the call for a super-duper The Game SE (that's a Universal title, though, so a 3-disc set is unlikely).

I'm glad CTS is willing to put together two discs of extras. Good on them, and they'll be getting my money for it.
I noticed those too :P I actually saw that picture before this thread, and that's what got me excited about the whole thing. Just thought I'd share
Old 01-09-04, 12:23 AM

I loved Panic Room, and would love to listen to a cast commentary. I am also a big fan of extras. But I'll tell you guys this (and am surprised no one has brought up this comparison yet). I havent gotten through half of the extras on the extended editions of the first 2 LOTR. I have a hard time not feeling like Im wasting up to an extra 10-15 bucks off the cost of a regular DVD (about 15 bucks the week it comes out at Wally World) on 2 discs of extras.
My question would be how long time wise are we talking these extras being? 2 hours? 3? 4? Y cant all the making of's be compressed together onto one extra disc, saving the consumer a few bucks. I realize compression is quality, but these are making of docs, not the movie itself.
One guess here is that the Superbit is the tranfer of the movie they are including. Can any1 confirm or deny this? Im just brainstorming and may be way off base here.
Old 01-09-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked Panic Room alot, and bought the first release. I don't know if I want to double dip on this one though. I'll probably just wait for a few reviews to see how the audio/video and extras are.
Old 01-09-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

glad i held off on this but now, i just don't remember if i liked it that much!!!

nonetheless, good news for those who've been patiently waiting.
Old 01-09-04, 11:34 AM

It wasn't as good as some of Fincher's other films. But man, I do love me a Fincher movie and SE.
Old 01-09-04, 02:55 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This SE will not have DTS, will it?
Old 01-09-04, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eau
This SE will not have DTS, will it?
Probably not. But who knows? We don't have any serious specs yet.

One would think that this new version couldn't be better than a Superbit version but that has yet to be seen. It's possible that a remaster or re-encode of the original may. But again, if there are going to be multiple audio tracks on this, we'll have to see. It could be great. Look at Se7en.
Old 01-09-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dts for the first release kicked ass! Shook the house!
Old 01-09-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got blasted for saying this on another well known DVD forum, but I do not think the Superbit version of Panic Room is anything special, VIDEO-WISE. In fact, for a new movie it's disappointing. It certainly isn't a bad transfer, but for a new movie - and a Superbit - it should have looked better. There is definitely some inherent video noise in the picture that shouldn't be there. It will be interesting to see if they correct it on this version.
Old 01-09-04, 10:55 PM

Considering its a dark film, it could have been cleaned up ALOT more. Just check out the horror movie "Below"...its a dark film but the transfer is unreal.
Old 01-10-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[TC removed] ....nevermind. Just hated the movie, and extras won't make it better for me. Carry on.....

That's pretty much the definition of a threadcrap. The next time you want to post about a topic just to say that nothing about the topic interests you, just don't post. - Static

Last edited by drmoze; 01-13-04 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 10:07 AM
Banned

Selling the Superbit today...
Old 01-11-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Didn't notice anyone else say anything, but DVD producer David Prior chimed in at the HTF about this. Said it was originally going to be a 4 (four!) disc set.

I have yet to see this flick, but the SE DVD is looking to be the DVD to own.
Old 01-11-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
This may be a TC, but *one* disc was too many for this movie! I'll pass, thank you, and save my $$$ for movies I actually want to watch more than once instead of drooling over piles of.... extras.
So you aren't a fan of extras or this movie?

If you didn't like the movie but still had something to add to this thread the maybe your post wouldn't seem so wasted to me.
Old 01-11-04, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Seriously, people, you DO NOT have to post to EVERY thread. If you don't like a film you can feel free to skip those threads.

No one will ban you from the club for not posting about how you thought a movie was a waste of your time, especially when you interrupt the conversations of those who enjoyed the film.
Old 01-11-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that really the cover art?
Old 01-11-04, 02:02 PM
Suspended

RyoHazuki:

No.