DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   chasing amy non criterion? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338275-chasing-amy-non-criterion.html)

Couch Potato 12-30-03 02:36 PM

chasing amy non criterion?

My friend told me that there was only one version of Chasing Amy which was the criterion version. I seem to recall there was a regular version. Anybody know about this?

jayson1017 12-30-03 02:37 PM

Nope, only one version. And that was Criterion.

teddydogg 12-30-03 02:38 PM

I have never seen another version. I don't see why anyone would want any other version than the Criterion since they seem to do a very good job and it is probably the cheapest (cost-wise) Criterion out there. Just my 2 cents.

Hendrik 12-30-03 02:42 PM

...actually, there is/was another version: in Australia (R4/PAL), BUT...

. . . :o . . .

djtoell 12-31-03 02:29 AM

I believe there was a Divx release.

DJ

Drexl 12-31-03 04:01 AM

Maybe you thought the Criterion was a "regular" version because it's cheap for some reason.

Jackskeleton 12-31-03 06:06 AM

Yeah, Chasing amy can be found at just about 10 bucks if you like in the right places or wait for the right deals. it's dirt cheap considering it's a CC..

Tha Freak 12-31-03 08:17 AM

but is the film worth it?

or just considering it's a "Criterion" makes you buy it??

BigDave 12-31-03 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Tha Freak
but is the film worth it?

or just considering it's a "Criterion" makes you buy it??

It's a great film. Well worth even the original $20+ price.

Mickey 12-31-03 08:45 AM

Originally Mirimax was putting out a disc and at the last second it was pulled (discs were made and packaged) and supposidly destroyed. I heard rumors that a few copies leaked out. Maybe this is what you are thinking about?

Michael Corvin 12-31-03 10:04 AM

Originally posted by djtoell
I believe there was a Divx release.

DJ

lol. he said Divx.

Mok 12-31-03 10:18 AM

I don't know I think they really need to redo Chasing Amy. I have the Criterion and I think the picture looks grainy especially on my big screen. I also heard there were some scenes miss framed. Maybe that is why it is so cheap.

msbailey 12-31-03 10:56 AM

It looks grainy because it was shot on 16mm film, not 35mm. As for the alleged misframing... well, can't help you there.

milo bloom 12-31-03 12:38 PM

There is a slight misframing during the bus/train station scene (been a while), where if you look really hard, you'll see the top and bottoms trimmed slightly. Honestly though, I never noticed until somebody pointed it out to me.

And the grain is there to stay, it's the way it was shot.

PixyJunket 12-31-03 01:03 PM

The misframe was shown that way in the theaters as well.. confirmed last year as I got to see a special screening of Chasing Amy at a local cinema and I made sure to check for it.

DealMan 12-31-03 03:11 PM

Yeah, this film was made for less than $280,000 so I don't think it was meant to look real polished.

The DVD is a straight port from the laserdisc and originally retailed for $39.99, but then had a generous price drop and can now be had for cheap.

Jackskeleton 12-31-03 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
lol. he said Divx.

well, there is a couple of Xvid versions floating around..... ;)

bunkie42 01-02-04 12:58 AM

the criterion of chasing amy is a steal if u ask me
no need for another

DonnachaOne 01-02-04 01:20 AM

Originally posted by DealMan
DVD is a straight port from the laserdisc and originally retailed for $39.99, but then had a generous price drop and can now be had for cheap.
Sure about that? Same source, yes, and the extras are simply ported over, but the DVD transfer is anamorphic. I doubt Criterion simply unconverted.

djtoell 01-02-04 02:36 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Sure about that? Same source, yes, and the extras are simply ported over, but the DVD transfer is anamorphic. I doubt Criterion simply unconverted.
Not only didn't Criterion "unconvert" the old transfer, they didn't even do the transfer themselves at all. Disney did the new anamorphic transfer in-house and supplied it to Criterion. Criterion made sure to point this out when the framing error was found. This appears to be somewhat normal activity for the Disney-Criterion relationship (which is why we got a non-anamorphic transfer for Armageddon - Disney's choice).

DJ

jough 01-03-04 05:22 PM

Yes, the film was shot in 16mm and transfered by the House that Walt Built, so Criterion isn't to "blame" for the transfer, which really isn't that bad, anyway.

And it's the only version available in the U.S. And it's a really fine disc, with decent extras, including a GREAT and funny commentary track.