DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Once Upon a Time in Italy: Spaghetti Western Coll (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338221-once-upon-time-italy-spaghetti-western-coll.html)

BuddhaWake 12-30-03 09:57 AM

Once Upon a Time in Italy: Spaghetti Western Coll

sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I was just looking through the release list and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this set or the movies within it. here is a link from amazon:

Once Upon a Time in Italy
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

is listed as coming out Feb, 10th.
Thanks for the help.

Angel

marty888 12-30-03 10:39 AM

Synopsis: Once Upon A Time In Italy, a generation of visionary filmmakers hijacked the genre of the American Western. Suddenly, standard stories of cowboys and Indians became a hyper-stylized opera of immoral heroes, ruthless action and extreme violence. These startling new films became known as Spaghetti Westerns, and movies have never looked or sounded the same since!
A Bullet For The General - At the height of the Mexican Revolution, a mysterious young American joins a gang of marauders led by El Chucho on a series of savage raids to steal guns for a powerful rebel general. But when the Gringo brings his own cold-blooded ideals to the bandits, El Chucho discovers that the real weapons of war belong to no army. In a land ravaged by poverty and violence, can true freedom be bought with a single bullet?

Companeros - Yodlof Petersen (Franco Nero) is a suave Swedish arms dealer with a love for fast money. Bosco (Tomas Milian of "Traffic") is a trigger-happy Mexican bandit with a hate for suave Swedish arms dealers. But when the two team up to kidnap a professor who holds the key to a fortune in gold, they find themselves hunted by the American army, stalked by a marijuana-crazed sadist (Academy Award winner Jack Palance) and trapped in the middle of a revolution about to explode. Can these two enemies blast their way across Mexico together without killing each other first?

Four Of the Apocalypse - Having survived a vigilante slaughter, four hard-luck strangers - gambler Stubby Preston, a pregnant prostitute, the town drunk and a madman who sees dead people - escape into the lawless frontier. But when they meet a sadistic bandit named Chaco the four are plunged into a nightmare of torture, brutality and beyond. In a land that screams with the pain of the damned, can four lost souls find redemption and revenge?

Keoma - His name is "Keoma," a half-breed gunfighter weary of killing as a way of life. But when he returns to his troubled childhood home, Keoma is caught in a savage battle between innocent settlers, sadistic bandits and his vengeful half-brothers. In a wasteland gone mad with rage and pain, can one man massacre his way to redemption? "Keoma" is an extraordinary combination of potent symbolism, powerful performances and relentless violence; a one-of-a-kind classic that fans and critics consider to be one of the greatest Spaghetti Westerns of all time.

Texas Adios - Franco Nero stars as Burt Sullivan, a tough Texas sheriff who heads deep into Mexico with his younger brother to arrest the man who murdered their father years earlier. But when they uncover a shocking family secret, the brothers find themselves trapped in a lawless land where violence is a pastime, vengeance is a birthright and sudden death is a way of life.

Laser Movies 12-30-03 10:59 AM

The cheapest price I've found so far for this set is $54 at DDD.

sicklerice 12-30-03 11:04 AM

I have all those movies. Looks like a nice box. Well worth it if you enjoy the genre.

One thing though, in Texas Adios, it's better to watch it in Italian as Franco Nero's voiceover is done by someone with a garbage voice.

It's beautiful in Italian though.... Also that film is the most American of the lot.

Moefuscious 12-30-03 11:27 AM

Sweet looking set!!! :up:

Geist 12-30-03 11:46 AM

Does anyone know if this is a collection of the currently available versions of these films, possibly with different cover art, or if they are new editions?

Considering I just ordered most of them individually during the DDD sale, I would return them for this set if they are better editions than the bare-bones ones that started arriving in the mailbox last week.

I'm still waiting for them to announce the new version of "The Rules of Attraction" any minute now because I finally broke down and picked that up... ;)

Geofferson 12-30-03 12:26 PM

That is a pretty slick box set!

DealMan 12-30-03 12:30 PM

A Bullet For The General• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailers

Compañeros• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailer
• Talent Bios
• Interviews with Stars Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, and Music Composer Ennio Morricone.
• Optional English Subtitles
• Languages: English; Italian

Four Of The Apocalypse• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailer
• Talent Bios
• Fulci Of The Apocalypse -- an all-new 17 minute featurette

Keoma• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailer
• Talent Bios
• Interview with Star Franco Nero.
• Audio Commentary with Director Enzo G. Castellari and Journalist Waylon Wahl.

Texas, Adios• Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Theatrical Trailer
• Franco Nero Bio.
• Optional English Subtitles
• Interview with Star Franco Nero.

jayson1017 12-30-03 02:43 PM

When was this movie originally released?

Geist 12-30-03 03:13 PM

Looks to be the same disks currently available. Thanks Dealman!

ernestrp 12-30-03 04:27 PM

I saw this listed about a month ago and was real excited until I found out I already had every title in the set.

gutwrencher 12-30-03 05:19 PM

like others here...too bad I have every one of them. it is a sweet looking set, though. maybe would make a nice gift for someone I know who is just getting into the genre. I would have included the classic, The Great Silence...and left out the Fulci.

sicklerice 12-30-03 05:22 PM

All this talk of Spaghettis has me wanting to bust out OUATITW for tonight! Or maybe COMPANEROS!!

VAMOS E MATAR!! COMPANEROS!!!

sicklerice 12-30-03 05:33 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
like others here...too bad I have every one of them. it is a sweet looking set, though. maybe would make a nice gift for someone I know who is just getting into the genre. I would have included the classic, The Great Silence...and left out the Fulci.
AB doesn't have IL GRANDE SILENZIO......Fantoma does.

FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE is a fascinating film (to me) but it isn't a fun romp like many other Spaghettis.

I for one would prefer IL MERCENARIO rather than SILENCE. I like Corbucci alot, but I feel that his NERO trilogy is much better than SILENCE.

gutwrencher 12-30-03 05:44 PM

Originally posted by sicklerice
AB doesn't have IL GRANDE SILENZIO......Fantoma does.

sorry...didnt even think about it being just an AB set. too bad. I just mentioned TGS because it's a personal fav. "if it was my box"...kinda thing. best and fav does not always go hand in hand...at least with me.

Rat Faced Killa 12-30-03 06:47 PM

Originally posted by sicklerice

I for one would prefer IL MERCENARIO rather than SILENCE.

I'd like to have that too. and the ones by Sergio Sollima, The Big Gundown and Face To Face

gutwrencher 12-30-03 07:49 PM

while ordering the new 2-disc(limited to 3,000) Dragon edition of Argento's Tenebre...I ordered a few sketti westerns. The Bounty Killer(se), I'll Sell My Skin Dearly and Vengeance Trail. have you guys ever seen Bounty Killer? I'm doin' a blind buy on that one. just trying to build up the selection within my library.

I've decided to get at least 1 box set(topic of thread) for a friend. I might even try to turn another person on to it....so thanks for the heads-up on this. you've made a few people happy and they dont even know it yet!:D

apl 12-30-03 10:36 PM

Would you recommend this set over the Blue Underground one for a newbie to SW? I'm a horror guy so the Fulci makes this one appealing...however I'm a bit nervous when it comes to the whole Anchor Bay rerelease thing. Thanks in advance.

markdclark43016 01-02-04 02:57 PM

>>Would you recommend this set over the Blue Underground one for a newbie to SW?<<

Yes. This is, overall, a much better set of movies than the BU box. Some of the stuff in the BU box is interesting and DJANGO is a classic of sorts. But COMPANEROS, KEOMA and A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL are pretty close to as good as it gets in spaghetti Western land, other than the Leone masterpieces. Unfortunately for you, the Fulci film is easily the weakest of the lot.

gutwrencher 01-02-04 05:54 PM

...and on the other side of the coin...I thought that the edition of Django and the film itself was worth the price of the box. but thats just me...I've been a Django fan since I was a wee lad. the BU collection is something to add after you've collected some of the other essential titles. you will need Django at some point. it's too much of a classic to go unviewed by a euro-western fan.

BuddhaWake 01-02-04 06:19 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm thinking of picking this up, I read the post that's around regarding spaghetti westerns and the great silence threat. Would you guys recomend the Spaghetti western collection or this one? I definately want to check out Django, is the one available in the SWC the same that is available with the 2 django movies? I'm pretty new to the whole spaghetti western thing so any help is recomended, also taking into consideration a tight budget.

apl 01-02-04 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies...Gutwrencher, judging by your signature line I think we have pretty similar tastes so I figure I'll pick up Blue Undergrounds set now and if Django turns me into a SW freak then I'll grab the other when it comes out! Thanks agian.

gutwrencher 01-02-04 06:52 PM

Originally posted by BuddhaWake
I definately want to check out Django, is the one available in the SWC the same that is available with the 2 django movies?
the edition in the collection is far superior. it's re-mastered from the original camera negative and for the first time...the original audio track with Franco Nero's OWN voice. outstanding.

apl...yer welcome. hope you enjoy the collection...I think you will. there's a ton of sketti flicks out there....many have yet to be released. I've got a pretty good start on the genre in my library....and I'm excited about all the ones I dont have! I just recently had the pleasure of buying/watching Day Of Anger with Lee Van Cleef. good stuff, Maynard!!

Zwerchfell 02-19-04 01:38 PM

How is the video transfer? Did anybody check out the set yet?

Moefuscious 02-19-04 01:54 PM

Anyone know anything about the Django 2 Disc LE that's coming out on 4-27? DVD Empire has it listed for $13.97 from BU.

I wonder what else is included in this that wasn't on the BU Spaghetti Western set?.........hmmmmmmmmmm.