DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Star Trek Voyager RIP OFF! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/338101-star-trek-voyager-rip-off.html)

THX7966 12-29-03 05:04 PM

Star Trek Voyager RIP OFF!

Can anyone explain why season one of Voyager is priced the same as all the previous Star Trek sets, even though it only has 16 episodes?

Bronkster 12-29-03 05:26 PM

Because Paramount is greedy?

Bcolon 12-29-03 05:46 PM

That is really weak. Fox did the same thing with the later seasons of the X-Files when they started producing 20 episode seasons.

Mr. Blythe do you care to give us a rationale?

madcougar 12-29-03 05:48 PM

Because fans of the show will pony up and pay anything Paramount wants?

FuzzyBallz 12-29-03 05:53 PM

'Cause there are always suckas out there who will still pay for the set even if the studios double the price. Didn't you read the DVDs are like drugs and alcohol thread? I'd say the addiction is worse than the latter two.

RobCA 12-29-03 05:57 PM

Same reason HBO is charging the same for 8 episodes of Sex and the City as they did for 18...

Greed. :down:

Rob

Adrenaline 12-29-03 06:07 PM

Just like Fox did with Futurama Season 1, it only had 13 episodes and cost as much as Season which had 17.

RobCA 12-29-03 06:11 PM

Actually, the SRP for Futurama: Season 1 was $10 less than Season 2.

Rob

Brak55 12-29-03 06:42 PM

Same as the short season of The X-Files (5?) which was only 18 or 20 episodes because of the movie.

I think the worst one, though is the new Sex and the City.

Adrenaline 12-29-03 08:09 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
Actually, the SRP for Futurama: Season 1 was $10 less than Season 2.

Rob

At Best Buy recently I saw they had both for $35

EPKJ 12-29-03 11:17 PM

Because it doesn't matter since few people are going to buy it. Those few who actually liked Voyager deserve to be taken to the cleaners.

madcougar 12-30-03 12:06 AM

Originally posted by RobCA
Same reason HBO is charging the same for 8 episodes of Sex and the City as they did for 18...

Greed. :down:

Rob

See I don't see it as greed. It's all about what the market will bear. There is a die hard group of folks out there who will pay whatever to have these sets. Why not make as much money as possible off of them? It's unlikely that a casual fan of the Star Trek franchise is going to plunk down ANY money for Voyager. So it seems wise to fleece the die hard fan for as much money as possible. It's the American way my friend.

EPKJ 12-30-03 12:21 AM

Yes, you are correct, madcougar. This is how the free market works. I will be buying Sex And The City Season Five regardless of price, so, the studio must know what they are doing. On the other hand, I never bought The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One because it was priced too high to entice me to purchase it. Capitalism works well.

MrN 12-30-03 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Adrenaline
At Best Buy recently I saw they had both for $35

Be that as it may, the MSRP for season 1 is $10 less than season 2. And, seasons 2 & 3 are priced the same, even though season 3 has more episodes.

Joseph B 12-30-03 08:00 AM

It does seem ludicrous to me that the street price for Voyager Season One (and subsequent seasons) will apparently be around $90-$110; and that even that price will generally only be available for the first week of distribution.

There is no question but that Voyager has far fewer dedicated fans than the TOS, TNG, or DS9 series. Some of the fans of the latter might be more willing to purchase Voyager if the asking (street) price for the seasons were about $25 less. Otherwise, probably only the most dedicated, fanatical, fans of this series will be purchasing these boxes. That could result in a "lose-lose" situation for both Paramount and the casual Star Trek fans of this series.

But I suppose Paramount has already researched all of this ...

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-30-03 08:10 AM

Re: Star Trek Voyager RIP OFF!

Originally posted by THX7966
Can anyone explain why season one of Voyager is priced the same as all the previous Star Trek sets, even though it only has 16 episodes?
Consistency in pricing is the most likely rationale. With a consistent pricing structure the buyer can reasonably estimate when considering whether to buy season 1 what it will cost to acquire the entire series run.

Kerborus 12-30-03 03:30 PM

I'll argue to my dying breath that previous release of ST and XF are worth their money, but Voyager is stretching a bit. Even though I want them, I will be checking my local buy back stores for this series...

DrOBoogie1 12-30-03 06:04 PM

I got my Deep Space Nine season 7 DVD in early December. When the CE of Star Trek VI comes out in January, my Star Trek DVD collection will be complete.

Look, TNG season 2 and DS9 season 1 were both shorter than a typical season by about 4 episodes, and they had the same price as the other season. But that meant 6 discs instead of 7. Voyager season 1 is shorter by *10* episodes, so charging the same price is a stretch.

And that's not even judging Voyager on the merits, of which I am afraid it has little.

tdoane78 12-30-03 06:44 PM

I have all the ST:TNG and DS9 boxsets. However, I can't contemplate paying roughly $100 bucks a set for the later seasons let alone a season shortchanged by 10 episodes. Something in the 60 - 75 range might push me to the edge.

-Tim