DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Would you be intested in a service that organizes DVD features into categories? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/337954-would-you-intested-service-organizes-dvd-features-into-categories.html)

smirnoffski 12-29-03 12:01 AM

Would you be intested in a service that organizes DVD features into categories?

Advantageous if one has a large collection of DVDs and wants to view a certain type extra. This is an organized way of keeping on top of things.

->Commentaries
->Animated Shorts
->Short Films
->DVD exclusive Features
->DVD non-exclusive Features
->DVD exclusive Featurettes
->DVD non-exclusive featurettes
->Multi-Angle Features
->Audio-Only Features
->Photo Galleries
->Music Videos
->Trailers

etc.

For example:

COMMENTARIES
DVD|SPEAKER(S)|DISC #

JFK - Director's Cut|Oliver Stone|#1
Die Another Day|Lee Tamahori; Michael G. Wilson|#1
Die Another Day|Pierce Brosnan; Rosamund Pike|#1

ANIMATED SHORTS
SHORT|DVD|DISC#|DURATION|VIDEO|AUDIO|YEAR|RELEASED|YEAR DVD RELEASED

Toot Whistle Plunk and Bloom|Fantasia 2000|1|10:17|2.35:1|2.0 DD Mono|1953|2000

And similarly done for the other categories...

I am in the process of organizing my DVDs in such a way, but it is rather time-consuming. I just want to know if you folks would be interested in such a databasing system.

Thank you.

victant 12-29-03 12:12 AM

This wouldn't be as essential as DVD Profiler, but I would definitely be interested in this alternative way of categorizing features! :up:
<small>are you offering?</small>

Copenhagen 12-29-03 12:14 AM

It look impressive but not something I'd be interested in.

smirnoffski 12-29-03 12:20 AM

I might consider undertaking such an endeavor if the demand is there and if I find a way of easily accessing all the features of every DVD. Then it would be possible to organize them into a similar system as DVD Profiler/DVD Aficionado.
As the owned titles are entered, the extras then automatically separate into their respective categories as described above.

I currently am organizing my collection as a spreadsheet on Excel.

D-Ball 12-29-03 01:27 AM

It would probably be more work than it's worth. It would be hard to categorize the extras on all dvds since studios aren't consistent in labeling the extras. It's easy for extras like commentaries, trailers, etc. but studios include a lot of extras that might be hard to classify.

Blade 12-29-03 01:45 AM

Well, I think that would be a great idea.

I own over 700 titles already and a quick way to see what titles have commentaries would be particularly useful to me as I like to listen to them, but rarely have the time right after I finish watching the feature, and then can't remember, off hand, which titles do and don't have them.

Don't some sites already keep this type of info though? I think www.dvdreview.com has something like this called Film Vault. It wasn't very comprehensive though.

I also agree with D-Ball in that it would probably be pretty hard to do.

GatorDeb 12-29-03 10:33 AM

I'd use it if it were free :)

Groucho 12-29-03 10:36 AM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I'd use it if it were free :)
That's what I was going to say.

Of course, that's how I feel about just about anything.

PalmerJoss 12-29-03 12:12 PM

It seems nice, but I don't want to have to catalogue all of my titles with yet another database. It's just too much work now.

littlefuzzy 12-29-03 01:41 PM

It would be much easier if you could convince on of the current DB people to add this as a feature, they already have quite a bit of the information entered.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of work for something that wouldn't get much use. If someone was watching a DVD, they would watch the extras then, instead of saying "Hmm, what do I want to watch tonight? How about deleted scenes from random movies. Let's see what discs have deleted scenes on them."

GMLSKIS 12-29-03 09:49 PM

Could care less to have them listed other than by titles alphabetcally.

smirnoffski 12-30-03 12:58 AM

Anyway, it seems like a lot of work for something that wouldn't get much use. If someone was watching a DVD, they would watch the extras then, instead of saying "Hmm, what do I want to watch tonight? How about deleted scenes from random movies. Let's see what discs have deleted scenes on them."
The intention for such a system is not necessarily to scope out deleted scenes.

Many DVDs have quality features that can stand on their own regardless of the feature film. An example being the Black Hawk Down DE where the third disc has History Channel and PBS documentaries about the Mogadishu incident. I can see many people scoping through such a list to view such features.

It would be great to have a list with the many classic animated shorts spread throughout many different DVDs. It is possible that someone may be only in the mood for a classic animated short instead of the feature it accompanies.

El-Kabong 12-30-03 03:25 AM

Re: Would you be intested in a service that organizes DVD features into categories?

So, what - it's like a maid service where you have someone come over once a week to sort and organize my DVD collection? That's crazy talk!

marty888 12-30-03 06:36 AM

Too much effort for too little return - and not in keeping with Rule #1 - <i>Spend more time <b>watching</b> my DVDs than I do <b>organizing</b> them.</i> -wink-

jayson1017 01-02-04 05:28 PM

I agree with marty888.

by the way, marty888: when are you going to change your signature? don't you think the novelty has worn off? (please, no offense intended).

RobCA 01-02-04 05:36 PM

I might use it if it were free, but it's not really something I need.

by the way, jayson1017: when are you going to stop threadcrapping? (in other threads) don't you think the novelty has worn off? (please, no offense intended)

;) Rob