DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Please rank the dvds I should see first.... (list included) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/337545-please-rank-dvds-i-should-see-first-list-included.html)

scroll2b 12-25-03 06:48 PM

Please rank the dvds I should see first.... (list included)

My wishlist of "must-see" films is growing faster than I can keep up with. I've heard about these dvds for quite a while, and I don't know what to see first. Can you guys and girls rank the films I should probably see first? Thanks everyone!!

Bonnie and Clyde
Concert for George
Days of Heaven
Deliverance
Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
Harold and Maude
Images
Maltese Falcon
Manhattan
MASH
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Point Blank
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
The Long Goodbye
Winged Migration

gutwrencher 12-25-03 06:52 PM

Maltese Falcon....it's my fav of the bunch by a long shot. that first then I'd go with MASH and Robin Hood. after that...yer on yer own.-wink-

smirnoffski 12-25-03 07:41 PM

Maltese Falcon
Robin Hood

D-Ball 12-25-03 07:46 PM

I'd watch in this order:

Bonnie and Clyde
Maltese Falcon
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Easy Rider
Deliverance
MASH

Point Blank with Lee Marvin isn't on dvd yet otherwise it would be high on the list.

Coral 12-25-03 07:54 PM

Got some great titles there... I find it hard to put in order of quality.

I suggest watching them in chronological order - oldest to the latest.

Scot1458 12-25-03 08:06 PM

use a lottery.

cfloyd3 12-25-03 08:10 PM

1. Easy Rider
2. The Maltese Falcon
3. Deliverance
4. The Adventures of Robin Hood
5. Bonnie and Clyde

homerun31 12-25-03 08:35 PM

No comparison! Watch the concert for george first, The best concert movie ever produced! I saw it in the theaters, baught it the day it came out and watched it dozens of times since. YOu MUST see it. Believe me (I only wish Dylan was there)

SilverScreen 12-25-03 08:41 PM

Maltese Falcon
Five Easy Pieces
Deliverance
Harold and Maude
Winged Migration

I would pick those 6 first in that order.

TomOpus 12-25-03 08:48 PM

I agree with homerun31. If you're a fan of George's music, or just like watching a great concert, Concert for George is a must-see. You'll be moved to tears.

I would also suggest Winged Migration. Visually beautiful and fun to watch.

Mountain Biker 12-25-03 09:31 PM

Deliverance
Bonnie and Clyde
Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
MASH
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

HistoryProf 12-25-03 10:08 PM

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

then decide on the rest.

obscurelabel 12-26-03 12:49 PM

Which movie titled "Point Blank" are you referring to? Since most of your titles are older, I would guess that you're referring to the John Boorman film starring Lee Marvin from 1967. I didn't know that this was on DVD (don't see one for R1 or R2), if it's out in any other region please let us (ok, me) know.

"The Long Goodbye" is quite good; if you're a fan of the Raymond Chandler book or RC in general it might take some getting used to, but this is kind of the point. I didn't care for it when I first saw it but it's now one of my favorites. Once you get around the somewhat jarring casting of Elliot Gould as Phillip Marlowe, the film is actually pretty faithful to the spirit of the book IMO
Spoiler:
(it does change the ending though)

mr_jbloggs 12-26-03 12:54 PM

Can I have another list to choose from. :) j/k

mrbisco 12-26-03 01:45 PM

Harold and Maude

towbinaj 12-26-03 01:48 PM

I watched Robin Hood last night and it was great. The extras are awesome and include a "Night at the movies" which simulates the movie experience of 1938 with a preview, a news reel, a short, and an animated short. Some of the other cool extras include 2 other WB animated shorts (Bugs and Daffy as Robin Hood), a look at other versions of Robin Hood, Commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer, and a bunch of documentaries. The film looks great and the story is good. This is definatly one to see.

thecrazydude 12-26-03 01:56 PM

MASH
Deliverance
Point Blank

Iron_Giant 12-26-03 02:08 PM

Not to be rude, but can't you make your own decisions.

That being said, I would watch Robin Hood.

Enjoy

The Nature Boy 12-27-03 03:48 AM

watch chrologically, it will help you understand somewhat how each film builds upon its predacescors.

But Concert For George is it's own island, and just a fun thing to watch, so watch that at your convience if and when you get bored of the older stuff(it's all quality, but sometimes you want a touch of modern).

Tscott 12-27-03 09:28 AM

Watch the worst movies first and end with the best. That way you'll always have a better movie you'll be looking forward to seeing.

scroll2b 12-27-03 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Not to be rude, but can't you make your own decisions.

That being said, I would watch Robin Hood.

Enjoy

Renting and borrowing from the library are too much of a hassle for me, so I usally buy. But lately I've been buying way too much, and I'm trying to cut back. Thought I'd get some suggestions, tough guy. Not to be rude. ;)

ckolchak 12-27-03 04:28 PM

scroll-
those are all good films, but some are very slow going- if you chose one thats inappropriate for your mood, you'll likely end up hating it.

Robin Hood is likely to be the most accsesible one on your list.
Days Of Heaven and McCabe & Mrs Miller are both great films, but very low key.
your going to have to meet them 1/2 way if you want any satisfaction.

MrN 12-27-03 07:57 PM

Re: Please rank the dvds I should see first.... (list included)

Sorry couldn't pick just one.

Top 5 in this order:

Days of Heaven
Maltese Falcon
The Long Goodbye
Manhattan
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
[/QUOTE]