DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Back to the Future Box Set---How to tell if its the fixed set>? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/337511-back-future-box-set-how-tell-if-its-fixed-set.html)

Michael Sheridan 12-25-03 12:18 PM

Back to the Future Box Set---How to tell if its the fixed set>?

Hey all---I received the Back to the Future box set for Christmas....how can i tell from the outside whether or not the set i got is the "fixed" set, that fixed the widescreen problem? I dont want to open it to find out, if ill have to exchange it somewhere. Thanks all....Merry Christmas!

ViewAskewbian 12-25-03 03:40 PM

Well, step one might be "Do a search".

Mr. Salty 12-25-03 03:55 PM

There's a V2 next to the UPC code or somewhere else on the back (if you do a search there is a lengthy thread around here that details exactly where). No one has found one in stores yet, so you'll probably have to send the discs to Universal for replacement.

DVD Josh 12-25-03 04:44 PM

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
Well, step one might be "Do a search".
I wholeheartedly agree!

acostigan 12-25-03 05:04 PM

Mr. Salty is correct; no reported sightings in U.S. retail stores. You'll be looking for a "v2" next to the UPC, or a green sticker on the box that indicates it is "remastered".

-AC

Michael Sheridan 12-25-03 07:07 PM

Man, I hate people---thanks for the help, Mr salty.

Thanks for all the help, guys....every time i put in "back to the future" in the search box, i get a ton of unrelated posts.....

Muzzler 12-25-03 07:18 PM

Hey Michael The search function on this thing brings up many useless posts, by the time people type use the search thing they could just give the answer. But anyways on the discs I had replaced on the disc itself on part 2 or 3 at least on the very bottom it reads "All Rights Reserved V2"

Oops I just read your post again about not wanting to open it yeah its soposed to be down by the sound info box thing. Just look for a V2 somewhere on the box.

Michael Sheridan 12-25-03 07:26 PM

Thanks so much Muzzler.....i appreciate the help.
Youre right....it would be just as easy to type the answer than some typical answer....

Drexl 12-25-03 09:42 PM

Isn't it ironic how Universal will sometimes change its covers (like with The Deer Hunter and The Frighteners) to something completely different when it isn't needed, but when they make a mistake and put out a corrected version, they make it difficult to tell whether it's the right one or not (Jurassic Park DTS, BTTF)?

Randall_Lind 12-28-03 09:12 AM

How would you tell from an online store? I buy 90-95% of all my DVD's online.

Snowmaker 01-21-04 01:01 PM

Are there still no corrected ones on the shelves? My brother just got the set for his birthday and wants to know what to look for before he opens it.

bboisvert 01-21-04 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Randall_Lind
How would you tell from an online store? I buy 90-95% of all my DVD's online.
You can't.

And, again, I've yet to hear of a single confirmed case of anyone finding a 'corrected' edition in stores (either B&M or online). Universal apparently pressed a TON of these. More than 12 months later, and stores still haven't received any corrected stock.

DVD Josh 01-21-04 01:36 PM

I got my corrected copies 17 days after mailing it in. I can practically guarantee that you will get your corrected copies through the exchange offer than you will find one in stores.

vivarey 01-21-04 01:39 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
I got my corrected copies 17 days after mailing it in. I can practically guarantee that you will get your corrected copies through the exchange offer than you will find one in stores.
Yeah- just do the exchange. It's quite painless.

Snowmaker 01-21-04 02:05 PM

Can someone repost the phone # to contact, please?

mr_jbloggs 01-21-04 02:44 PM

here you go

Snowmaker 01-21-04 05:13 PM

Originally posted by mr_jbloggs
here you go
Thanks!

Josh H 01-21-04 05:16 PM

Originally posted by vivarey
Yeah- just do the exchange. It's quite painless.
I'm not willing to go through the hassle because they f'ed it up int he first place and are being half assed (IMO) about fixing the problem.

I won't buy it until I can find it on a store shelf. I check every couple months or so as I'm not dying to own these anyway.

Gatsby 01-21-04 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm not willing to go through the hassle because they f'ed it up int he first place and are being half assed (IMO) about fixing the problem.

I won't buy it until I can find it on a store shelf. I check every couple months or so as I'm not dying to own these anyway.

I'm in this boat as well...I'll buy it when the corrected box set is in the store.

GuruAskew 01-21-04 05:42 PM

I've had a perfectly fine copy of "Back to the Future" for over a year and the corrected sequel discs for over six months. The "hassle" was better than waiting. Here we are, 13 months after the initial release of the discs and the corrected sets still aren't available in retail stores. That's a hassle as far as I'm concerned. To anyone waiting for the corrected sets: IF YOU BUY THE DEFECTIVE SET NOW, YOU WILL HAVE THE CORRECTED DISCS WITHIN THREE WEEKS, TOPS.

vivarey 01-21-04 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It's really not a hassle. You call the 1-800 number, they send you the mailer, you plop in the discs. A few weeks later the corrected ones arrive in the mail. IMO, less work than checking and re-checking for the new versions in stores.

JoeyOhhhh 01-21-04 06:28 PM

I'm starting to think that Universal is never going to send out corrected versions to stores

Fok 01-21-04 06:33 PM

If you know anyone in Canada, they sell the corrected ones in the stores, it has a green sticker on the front saying "remastered". On disks there is also v2 label printed so you'll know for sure.

vivarey 01-21-04 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Fok
If you know anyone in Canada, they sell the corrected ones in the stores, it has a green sticker on the front saying "remastered". On disks there is also v2 label printed so you'll know for sure.
Maybe Canadian online retailers have them, then? I doubt these will show up on US retail shelves until v1 stock is depleted. They could still have thousands sitting in warehouses. Not to mention, the rush on this release is over.

Mr. Cinema 01-21-04 10:02 PM

damn you Universal! Why can't they just ask all the retailers to ship back their stock of the bad copies? They have room to destroy them all.