RotK release date?

Old 12-24-03, 01:35 PM

RotK release date?

According to The One Ring.net , it looks like we MIGHT be getting this release a mere three months after the theatrical release in late March.
A few Ringers have written in to let us know that the RotK theatrical dvd will be out in the end of March. I'm assuming that if the dvd will be out, then the video tape will be too. Reports have ranged from 3/24 - 3/29. Thanks to HB & everyone else who wrote in!
There is also a link with a release date. It is strange that this release would be a Monday.
Old 12-24-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is bunk. I suppose this comes from the same sources who claimed The Matrix Revolutions would be out by Christmas.

The film will still be playing theatrically in March and will be doing quite good business considering how long it has been out. New Line has kept the last two in theaters until spring and even summer.

I am consistently amazed at what people will believe when it comes to entertainment-related news. Wishful thinking is really something to see.
Old 12-24-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also find it highly unlikely that New Line well released it that early since it still ranking in some big money in theater nationwide. They proberly hoping that it well break the Titanic record which I think is not going to happen but who know. My guess that it well be released somewhere in the early summer '04.
Old 12-24-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

actually 3 months sounds right on, stuidos realize that real money is not in theaters but in dvd's the typical turn around is usualy 3 months from the release date, granted there are some exceptions but usualy 3 months is right one
Old 12-24-03, 04:42 PM

FWIW, I've heard late May for the theatrical release, and late August for the Extended Edition.
Old 12-24-03, 05:13 PM

That's crazy talk.

The Oscars are in March--> the Oscars generate free buzz--> LotRs will receive free Oscar buzz--> people will go see it again because of the free Oscar buzz--> New Line will re-expand it to more screens and rake in the cash.

Then around May the buzz will end because the summer movies will start to trickel out and by July or Aug the Standard DVD will be out because New Line has made all the money they can in the theaters.

Then next Nov or Dec the EE will be out along with a box set of all three films (don't worry though it'll be the same EE discs you already bought so you'll only be missing out on the cardboard box~which hopefully New Line will let you mail away for like Universal did with Jurassic Park 3.)

But getting back to March-- notachance!
Old 12-24-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Oscars are in February this year.
Old 12-24-03, 06:24 PM

they might be hoping to win "best picture" at the oscars in february (which i think is likely), and then release it on dvd the next month with to capitalize on all the buzz... makes perfect sense to me.

i am guessing that the EE won't be released until november though. they have quite a bit of work to do on that, and they probably want it to come out around christmas.
Old 12-25-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If this movie comes out on DVD within 3 months... I'll give you a dollar.