Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Warner to Buy MGM Rumors: Bad news for old library titles on DVD?

Old 12-23-03, 01:32 PM

There have been rumors on newswires that Warner might merge with MGM, basically taking on their 4,000 title film library. How will this effect MGM's vast production? I hope this does not mean goodbye to the Midnite Movies, World Films, Soul Cinema and other dvd lines that we so treasure.
Old 12-23-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warner's divesting itself of its music division, so I guess they want to concentrate more on motion pictures. They already hold the world's most substansive film library, so this would only serve to enhance it further. They have already released some MGM films on DVD, as part of a reciprocal arrangement they have together. This allowed Warner to put out DVD's for some of the MGM Kubrick films like The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a few others. MGM, in turn, released a few Warner titles like Never Say Never Again. I don't know what this will mean, specifically, for future DVD releases, but Warner has been one of the best studios for DVD releases, so it seems promising (just imagine if it was Universal instead...). More than likely, it would mean 2-disc special editions for some of the better MGM titles, so that would be a major plus. And for fans of the classics, Warner is a godsend, being perhaps the only major studio that puts as much care into their classics releases as they do the latest entries at the MTV Movie Awards. The only thing that worries me is the spector of even more snappers in my collection.

Last edited by joliom; 12-23-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-23-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd miss the Midnite Movies series, but I definitely wouldn't miss MGM's increasing trend toward fullscreen for their catalog titles. I don't mind snappers, fortunately.

Rob
Old 12-23-03, 02:25 PM

The worst thing would be to lose the Midnite Movies, and as much as you praise Warner, I could never see them releasing titles like TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, RETURN OF COUNT YORGA, PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, BLOOD AND LACE..... etc.
Old 12-23-03, 03:52 PM
Banned by request

Considering that MGM is as much of a brand name as anything, I'm willing to bet Warner will allow their DVD production department (which, of all of MGM's holdings, were one of the few things showing some kind of profit) to do what they've been doing for Midnight Movies and Soul Cinema and Avant-Garde Cinema, etc. with a few changes:

1. Snappers. We knew this one.
2. Higher prices. I remember reading an article a while back about how MGM was trying to promote people to buy their DVDs instead of renting, and one way to do it was lower the price. Forget stuff like the UHF SE at $10. The prices will go up.
3. That's...about it, as far as I can see.

The special editions should remain the same, and, in fact, we may see more special editions for older films (something MGM wasn't always the best at).
Old 12-23-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
...2. Higher prices. I remember reading an article a while back about how MGM was trying to promote people to buy their DVDs instead of renting, and one way to do it was lower the price. Forget stuff like the UHF SE at $10. The prices will go up...
That's the one thing I'd be worried about. I don't think Warner Bros. puts out many new-release DVDs at $14.95 msrp.
Old 12-23-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This allowed Warner to put out DVD's for some of the MGM Kubrick films like The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a few others. MGM, in turn, released a few Warner titles like Never Say Never Again.
The Shining has always been a Warner Bros. movie.

Actually, prices should stay low.... they make most of their catalog 1-disc titles $14.99.
Old 12-23-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the bright side, maybe Warner will do a better job on foreign titles than MGM has.

Way too many poorly handled foreign titles released by MGM in the past, and (if the specs are correct) the upcoming Cyrano de Bergerac looks to be non-anamorphic.
Old 12-23-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd block this just to save keep-cases.
Old 12-28-03, 05:18 PM
Banned

This could be good and bad news...

Good news: no more crappy MGM cover art.

Bad news: we might get more snapper cases (courtesy of Warners)
Old 12-28-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Warner will keep MGM separate just like New Line. New Line started using Keepcases so they may let MGM do it as well.
Old 12-28-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I think Warner will keep MGM separate just like New Line. New Line started using Keepcases so they may let MGM do it as well.
I agree. This is exactly how it would work. MGM would continue releasing movies in the same way they always have.