Community
Search

Comments on blind buys on these TV DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Comments on blind buys on these TV DVDs

Costco is having a crazy sale on Fox TV DVDs, and I'm thinking of picking up some shows I've never seen an episode of.

Angel

I'm a big Buffy fan, but always thought Angel was a brooding lamea$$. I liked Spike so much better (at least he had the guts to tell Buff she was killing him). I also dig Joss Whedon (but just want to be friends first).

I'm into Alias and the action / spy genre as a whole.

I'd appreciate any additional comments or questions on these. I may just end up buying the first season of each (although I don't know if passing up this deal is too smart, even if I end up selling the unopened second seasons on eBay I'd still make a profit).
Old 12-23-03, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never really got into Buffy or Angel so no comment on that.

Each season of 24 has enjoyable the first time around (the second was better than the first IMHO... the jury is still out on the third) but for me I'm not sure how much I'd get out of a second viewing so I skipped both of them on DVD. (aka I'd rent/borrow it first)
Old 12-23-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the "problem" with renting them is that Costco has them for $25. Considering that renting them at BB would be around $22 with tax, I figure at least I recoup my coin on eBay (unlike BB).
Old 12-23-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only got into Buffy when it came out on DVD. Of course I was immediately hooked. Eventually I broke down and picked up Angel s1 and s2. I find it to be decent. It is not as good as Buffy is in anyway, but I like some of the characters on the show. Angel has always gotten on my nerves as a character, he is a big pain in the ass. I am a completist so I will continue buying Angel, but I do go through those sets a lot slower than I do Buffy if that means anything.

At that price I say pick them up.

With 24, I absolutely loved the 1st season. I have yet to buy my own copy of s2 though. I ended up getting so drawn into s1 that I marathoned most of it, I think I finished the whole set in 2 or 3 days. Some people have told me that s2 is even better than the first.
Old 12-23-03, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are only $25 bucks then go for it (unless you subscribe to netflix)... at that price I may have to swing by there myself and see what they have available. I just found a $25 GC for Costco the other day I had forgotten about
Old 12-23-03, 11:14 AM

Well season 2,3,and 4 are universally siad to be better than there Buffy counterparts. I say this owning Buffy 1-5 and Angel 1 and 2.

What about Dark Angel is that worth picking up?
Old 12-23-03, 11:25 AM

Pick up both series. Angel starts out slowly, but Season 2 was almost as great as its counterpart, Buffy Season 5(the mediocre final 3 episodes can't hold a candle to Buffy's finale). Seasons 3 and 4 are easily better than the last 2 years of Buffy.

As for 24, it's one of the most addictive shows ever. No, there's not much repeat value, but at 25 bucks per set and the terrific supplements on the 2nd season, it's a worthwhile investment(you could always sell the sets for a profit when you're through with them).
Old 12-23-03, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by ugabuga
I have Season 1 of Dark Angel and I enjoy it. It is not as good as Buffy, but IMO it is about equal with Angel in enjoyment. I have heard S2 is kinda crappy though, I plan on picking it up after Xmas.

How long is this sale going on at Costco? I will pick up S2 there if I can get a chance to get over there.
Old 12-23-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sale is through tommorrow (Christmas Eve)
Old 12-23-03, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Sale is through tommorrow (Christmas Eve)
Thanks.

Guess I know where I am going tonight lol.
Old 12-23-03, 01:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by ugabuga
Season 1 was good but I quit watching about 6 episodes into season 2. It was that bad.

I'm not a big fan of the first 2 seasons of Angel, but it really picks up in the 3rd season.
Old 12-23-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a faithful Buffy watcher who also didn't care for the Angel character all that much. When he got his spin-off, I didn't watch it.

Curiousity did get the better of me this summer, and I picked up the Angel, Season 1 set. Personally, I really like it. I've started watching the show's current season on the television and am enjoying that, as well. And now I'm kind of regretting not having watched the show originally.

I'd definitely pick it up for $25. As a matter of fact, I did pay more than that, and I was in essentially the same boat vis-a-vis my views on Buffy and the Angel character.
Old 12-23-03, 08:39 PM

I thought the thread title was"Comments on blind guys" when I entered this thread.
Old 12-23-03, 10:19 PM

Dont' do 24. No desire. Too much damned hype about that one, I got sick of the promos during the baseball playoffs.

As far as Angel, S1 was spotty. Some great episodes, some not so great ones. There was really no season arc in S1, and it's very episodic in nature. Mostly standalone episodes with a little bit of character development.

S2, however, blew me away. Except for the four-part finale, which I thought was rather silly, season 2 is easily as good as any Buffy season. I'm so looking forward to S3 and S4 as I've heard that they're even better.
Old 12-24-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Scorpio
I thought the thread title was"Comments on blind guys" when I entered this thread.
No, that would be fine too. Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder?
Old 12-24-03, 09:42 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Think of 24 as an hourlong serial. Each cliffhanger stretches credibility but leaves you wanting to know how the character gets out of the jam. It's worth some repeat viewing but the plot holes (We're talking Swiss cheese here...) will definitely become more obvious.

Dark Angel started off terrifically until the network put down its heavy hand. James Cameron really did a cop out on the end, which spoiled the whole thing for me.
Old 12-24-03, 11:25 AM

I really liked Buffy. It has good writing, good dialog, and good characterizations.
Angel had a so-so first season (most shows do), a good second season, and then it all started going downhill in the 3rd season and never recovered. Both the Angel and Cordelia characters were crapped on imo. The rest of the supporting cast has never been interesting at all and got lamer each season. The only exception being Lorne. He rocks.
Old 12-24-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah.. if you can get 24 for $25 ... then by all means DO IT! Great show... not a Buffy or Angel fan so no comments on either of those.
Old 12-24-03, 02:13 PM

A DVD I reccomend that is not out yet is Roswell - Season 1. Its comes out Feb 17th and I recmmend to anyone who likes Dawsons Creek,X-Files and Buffy because the show is pretty much a mixture of all three of those shows. I love the special effects for the show.... epecially season 2