DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   No More Unskippable Previews on Universal Movies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/337190-no-more-unskippable-previews-universal-movies.html)

Judge Dredd 12-22-03 11:53 PM

No More Unskippable Previews on Universal Movies

I just rented American Wedding & Tremors 4 from my job and now instead of those stupid previews that appear that you can't skip through a thing comes up and says

"Previews, You May Fast Forward to Menu"

or somthing to that extent, just thought I'd let you guys know, it's great!

TheKing 12-23-03 12:04 AM

Can you skip them, or do you have to use fast forward?

There is a difference, and if you can just fast forward, then the only thing they changed was putting that little blurb on the screen.

You've always been able to FF through them, but you cannot skip them.

games03 12-23-03 12:31 AM

Wow. I don't think I own _any_ DVD that has a preview on it. What a great indicator of a bad movie! They have to use the banked audience to further exploit the gullibility of the audience. Sad, sad, sad.

Mr. Salty 12-23-03 03:03 AM

Nope, they're still forced. The only difference is now they tell you about them.

dcprules 12-23-03 03:39 AM

I noticed this on the Seabiscuit DVD as there was a preview for Schindler's List before the main menu with that logo as well. They really should have had it said Preview though considering there was only one on Seabiscuit, and it was only thirty seconds. Did not bother me one bit.

Robert George 12-23-03 09:49 AM

There is a work-around. When the red "WARNING" screen comes up at the very beginning, press the stop button twice, then press play.

Alan Smithee 12-23-03 04:31 PM

Another workaround is to cut the disc into a weapon and slash some throats with it.

edytwinky 12-23-03 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
Another workaround is to cut the disc into a weapon and slash some throats with it.
I tried it but was later told that's illegal.

jasonbird 12-23-03 05:27 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
:lol:

I picked up Seabiscuit as a blind buy the other day, then when
I realized it was Universal (with the forced previews and all) I
took it back and got my money back. I'll just rent it and be done
with it.

Let me know when you decide to pull your heads out, Universal.

Jason

Mr. Salty 12-23-03 09:30 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
It depends on what region you're in.

theneobez 12-23-03 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
LOL

D-Ball 12-24-03 01:09 AM

I still don't see what the big deal is with previews. I press the fast forward button, and it takes a few seconds to get through them. I have a bigger problem with the forced FBI/copyright notices that don't allow anyway to skip through. As long as there is some way to bypass them, I'm happy.