Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

New Kieslowski's coming soon (Question about Kino)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend showed me a catalogue he just got from Kino Video which says they're putting out a bunch of Kieslowski's older films and the extended versions of "A Short Film about Killing" and "A Short Film about Love" from "Decalogue".

I wish I could remember the other titles. I know that they're all discussed in Annette Insdorf's book about Kieslowski and I can guarantee that "The Double Life of Veronique" isn't on the list. Looking at www.allmovie.com, I know that "Blind Chance" and "Camera Buff", are among the releases).

I have two basic questions for anyone who's read this far:

1) Are the extended "Decalogue" films worth the purchase?

2) I've never bought anything from Kino and I'm wondering if anyone has any observations? The discs are 29.99, but on sale through January 5 or so for 24.99. You get free shipping with a purchase over 50 (which sucks when your order'll come out to 49.98!).
Old 12-22-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry that I can only asnswer Question #2:

Kino is a truly class outfit to deal with. Great service and really super fast shipping (I always tried to get to the $50 plateau and the stuff was there in a day or two).

To get to the $50 plateau, I searched around and found stuff that I was aware of and had not seen in B & M stores around me.

You could call them and you might find that their customer service might give you free shipping because of Christmas. The three times I've had to call them they were extremely pleasant, nice and courteous.

When I'm working again, I'll be back to their site.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-03, 07:00 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Answering the questions...

1) Yes, they are, especially if you like the Decalogue segments they correspond with.

2) Kino is an unstable company. I can recommend to you several high quality DVDs from the company, but I can also tell you a few to stay away from (Man With A Movie Camera, for example). I'd wait to see if these discs have specs...knowing Kino, if the film has special features of any sort, it means they aren't slouching on the release. But msot of these fine discs are of films from the 20s and early 30s. I have no experience with their releases of newer films. No doubt that they will look vastly superior to the Decalogue chapters on the Facets DVDs, though.
Old 12-22-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: New Kieslowski's coming soon (Question about Kino)

Originally posted by MaudlinHarold
and I can guarantee that "The Double Life of Veronique" isn't on the list.
.....The double life of Veronique is a MiramAxe property......sadly
Old 03-10-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pro-basoonist, why is miramaxe not releasing the film? If they did, would it be censored/cut in any way?
Old 03-10-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
I thought for sure we'd be seeing "The Double Life of Veronique" after the release of the 3 Colors Trilogy last year. This is one of my top 5 requested films. It's ridiculous this film isn't out yet.

Interestingly, the film was released on VHS by Paramount.
I doubt it would be cut. I don't see what content would be objectionable enough for them to censor.
Old 03-10-04, 11:48 PM

AFAIK, Miramax owns the rights to The Double Life of Veronique, although it's curious that Paramount released the VHS ...
Old 03-10-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: New Kieslowski's coming soon (Question about Kino)

Originally posted by MaudlinHarold
1) Are the extended "Decalogue" films worth the purchase?
Absolutely. Actually, I plan to acquire only A Short Film About Killing; it is superior to the expurgated version. I thought A.S.F.A.L. was the weakest Decalogue segment.
Old 03-11-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by theneobez
pro-basoonist, why is miramaxe not releasing the film? If they did, would it be censored/cut in any way?

well, one of the reasons is that they consider it a low-profile foreign title (don't ask me why...esp, when you have a director as renowned as Kieslowski and...the wonderful soundtrack by Zbigniew Preisner....boggles the mind). Two years ago I actually wrote a letter to their marketing department...so they were waiting to see what the interest will be in the Colours Trilogy....well, now I am waiting to see what other lie they have to tell.

I dont even bother with MiramAxe anymore...their "European department" is as bad as it gets. I cant possibly comprehend why they would censor this film but....no one is asking me so....

With this said I have seen on 2 French forums people mentioning a R2 release later this Fall. Needless to say even if it does not have English subs I will be getting it. I can not wait for a few snobs to decide what is worth watching and what is not.....

Hope this rant helped a bit,

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-11-04 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-11-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by philo
I thought for sure we'd be seeing "The Double Life of Veronique" after the release of the 3 Colors Trilogy last year. This is one of my top 5 requested films.
Mine too...
Old 03-11-04, 04:40 AM

Thanks Norm.

I've now received two Kino catalogs featuring these films and they *still* aren't available. A bit frustrating.

Like you, I thought that Short Story about Love was a bit weak, but I thought it was sweet nonetheless. Killing also wasn't exactly a favorite, but it is probably the episode that felt like it needed expansion the most (its pace felt jerky at times and seemed a bit 'ham fisted'). I was glad to find out there's an extended version. In fact, about three months ago the AFI theater in Maryland (across the street from my job) was showing the complete Decalogue, two episodes per $9 ticket. I couldn't afford it, but was tempted to try Love & Killing's double bill to see if they were the longer versions, but turns out they were the short ones. The money's been saved towards these releases.
Old 03-11-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I'm finally going to buy Three Colors Trilogy this month, I watched Blue about 6 months ago and I loved it, so I'm looking forward to this set. The Double Life of Veronique looks very interesting though, if R2 releases are coming this fall I'd be hopeful that it'd get a R1 release.
Old 03-11-04, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Be careful about Kino, though - some of their transfers are PAL reconversions and have that weird PAL speedup ghosting problem that makes the entire presentation look like it was shot on a cheap camcorder.