Entertainment Weekly Top 10 DVDS of 2003

Old 12-20-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Entertainment Weekly Top 10 DVDS of 2003

So I get home yesterday after picking up a used copy of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and find my EW in the mail. I turn to the DVD section first as is my wont and find that this set is their #1 DVD release of the year!
#2.Adventures of Antoine Doinel
#3.Adventures of Indiana Jones
#4.Lord of the Rings Two Towers Extended Edition
#5.Kieslowski's 3 Colors
#6.The Singing Detective(BBC)
#7.West Side Story special edition
#8.Warner Legends Collection
#9.20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
#10.Alien Quadrilogy.
(I think I would have put the Fassbinder set in there somewhere)

Hey,I've got 'em all! How about you guys?

(Also liked that one of their top movies of the year was The Man Without a Past, one of my favorites,too, and out on DVD now)
Old 12-20-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only click with about half of that list.
Old 12-20-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alien Quadrilogy #10? Hmm, maybe they got their list order in reverse.
Old 12-20-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, I dont think the Indy Trilogy should be above the Alien Quad. Based on film popularity, yes. But based solely on DVD content and quality, the Alien Quad beats it if not all of them on this list. There's no other box set that even comes close to the amount of extras this one has. IMO.
Old 12-20-03, 09:03 AM

I have about 1/2 of them and most of them I agree w/. I'm surprised to see 20k Leagues on the list, and I knew Kieslowski's 3 colors had a avid fan base but I didn't think it would be popular enough to make a top 10 list. Have to say I haven't even heard of #2 though.
Old 12-20-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have any of those.

Rob
Old 12-20-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's interesting is that Quadrilogy also made the Worst list also.... "...isn't $100 a lot when half of your "quadrilogy" is ballast?"

The other "Worst"

2. TV on DVD

3. "The Scheme"

4. "Dirty Dancing Ultimate Edition"

5. "Grease 2"
Old 12-20-03, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by nemein
Have to say I haven't even heard of #2 though.
Adventures Of Antoine Doinel is a Criterion collection of Francois Truffaut's saga about Antoine Doinel. Box set includes The 400 Blows, Antoine And Collette, Stolen Kisses, Bed And Board and Love On The Run. You should really check it out.
Old 12-20-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad you brought that up, Tom.

It's hard for me to take any list seriously that has "TV on DVD" on the worst list. Personally, I'd say it's one of the best things about DVD in '03, and hopefully, '04.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 12-20-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-20-03, 09:35 AM

I have to say I agree w/ RobCA on the TV on DVD thing... one of the items on my top-10 for the year would be Stargate SG-1 season 4. Fun show and a great boxset w/ a commentary for every eps. Getting back to the original list I have to say I'm surprised the Kurosawa box set didn't make, although since it was a limited edition from Amazon that might have something to do w/ it, but still one of the better sets of the year.
Old 12-20-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hoping the Black Hawk Down, 3 disc set would've made the list. That is easily one of the best releases ever. Oh well.
Old 12-20-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Entertainment Weekly Top 10 DVDS of 2003

Originally posted by bdots48
#2.Adventures of Antoine Doinel
#5.Kieslowski's 3 Colors
It's great to see these 2 sets in there.

Criterion has done a lovely job on the Truffaut set.

The Three Colours Trilogy is a wonderful set, and Miramax should be commended for their transfer and the very informative extras (no fluff). This is one of th prides of my DVD collection.
Old 12-20-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe the over-rated LOTR made number 4.

The media has been very desirous that a New Zealand Director do well. There is a little hope invested in Jackson and he got a lot of credit for the performance of these films that he didnít deserve. The special effects carried this series. (kidding)

I do agree with the Looney Tunes being #1. Excellent DVD.
Old 12-20-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem with all of the "top 10 lists" is that they don't define anything. What does "Top 10" really mean? Best extras? Best transfer? Best movie? Best movie and best transfer? Best movie and best extras? etc. etc. etc. Nothing is really defined.

And how do you compare a box set of movies to just one movie (like extended Two Towers vs. Alien Quad.)? These Top 10 lists are meaningless.
Old 12-20-03, 10:47 AM

I enjoyed the "Top 100 DVDs You Must Own" issue they did a few years ago. I don't really take lists like these seriously because of all of the politics invoved. I'm sure there's plenty of "if you bump our DVD up we can give you Brad Pitt for your cover...if you're not interested Us Magazine is."
Old 12-20-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got all except

#6.The Singing Detective(BBC)
#7.West Side Story special edition
#8.Warner Legends Collection
#9.20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Old 12-20-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavidH
The problem with all of the "top 10 lists" is that they don't define anything. What does "Top 10" really mean? Best extras? Best transfer? Best movie? Best movie and best transfer? Best movie and best extras? etc. etc. etc. Nothing is really defined.

And how do you compare a box set of movies to just one movie (like extended Two Towers vs. Alien Quad.)? These Top 10 lists are meaningless.
An excellent point. Though they're both bare bones, my two best purchases this last year are probably Nobody's Fool and Miller's Crossing.
Old 12-20-03, 01:13 PM

TV-DVD is probably actually going to eclipse normal DVDs eventually...how can they say its the worst? Think about it, next year we will have Schindler's List and probably Star Wars. We already got all the other BIG releases on DVD...Soon studios won't be able to dip from the well and pull a guaranteed instant hit DVD out whenever it wants. They will have to actually start making LOTS of good movies each year (not likely, by last few years) to keep these kind of sales records up. Sure, Pixar can put out a mega-hit every year, but what about the other guys?

But series like Kids in the Hall and Seinfeld will just be getting started. KitH was probably 5 years, Seinfeld will take 7 or 8 boxsets to complete. Big sellers like Futurama, King of the Hill, The Simpsons (which is good for a big hit every year until the HD-DVD thing catches on), Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm ,Six Feet Under, ER, and Friends will continue to go strong. Cool niche titles like MST3K, Mr. Show, Upright Citizen's Brigade, and Invader Zim round things off nicely. Finally, there is a very good chance Everybody Loves Raymond will come out next year, which would probably sell almost as well as Seinfeld...

It will be interesting to see these editors take their harsh words back if and when all of this happens; of course that assumes these hacks will still be employed...
Old 12-20-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love TV on DVD. I'll agree that it's the worst thing that's happened to me with regards to my bank account and shelf space, but I love collecting my favorite shows(and discovering new ones) in season-long box sets.
Old 12-20-03, 01:49 PM

I'm surprised GIGLI and FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY didn't make the Top Ten. The transfer on GIGLI is stunning, one of the best of year. I guess it just didn't have enough extras to warrant inclusion. FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY was fun and well worth the $20. I'm also surprised the SCARFACE gift set didn't make it.
Old 12-20-03, 05:03 PM

NO X2, BLACK HAWK DOWN OR FINDING NEMO. THEY SHOULD CHECKOUT MORE DVDS.
Old 12-20-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
I have about 1/2 of them and most of them I agree w/. I'm surprised to see 20k Leagues on the list, and I knew Kieslowski's 3 colors had a avid fan base but I didn't think it would be popular enough to make a top 10 list. Have to say I haven't even heard of #2 though.
I don't think the list is based on popularity or sales is it? Isn't this list the top 10 best releases? If so, then three colors should be there for sure.
Old 12-20-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK SE NUFF SAID!!
Old 12-20-03, 08:18 PM

Here's mine:
1. Alien Quadrilogy
2. TTT:EE
3. Black hawk down 3 disc
4. X2
5. Pirates of the Caribbean
6. Finding Nemo
7. T3
8. Indiana Jones(just based on anticipation factor)
9. Scarface(same reason)
I can't really think of anymore right now warrenting inclusion

Last edited by tvpuff; 12-20-03 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 09:01 PM
Banned

Hey!!
Didn't last year here in Dvdtalk keep a poll every month on the best dvd of the month?
And then we were able to truly find out what the best dvd of the year was.
What happened to that?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.