Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Joel Silver Re: Matrix Box Set & New Transfer of The Matrix

Old 12-19-03, 06:34 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not sure if this has been posted. It may in fact be old news but it was new to me.

In an interview in the December issue of DVD Etc. magazine, Joel Silver has confirmed that there will be a box set of all 3 films (surprise, surprise...)

..."There will be a box set of all three Matrix films."

..."When we put out the box set box set or whatever we do , we really want to be sure they (the fans) get something great."

In regards to the rerelease of the 1st film on dvd:

..."We are planning to do staggering things with it in the future."

... and that they would "kind of like to do another transfer of the 1st matrix".

There was no mention of when the box set will be available and no details on the special features or if Animatrix will be part of the box set.

Last edited by dgc; 12-19-03 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm such a dvd whore, both release of Matrix, LOTR, etc... Keep them coming...
Old 12-19-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this just confirms for me that i will wait to pick up revolutions and reloaded until the boxset comes out. thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-19-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure we'll get the boxset sometime late next year or sometime early-to-mid 2005. According to the interview, it looks like not much is prepared yet for it. I'm sure once the Brothers are done working on the online game based on the trilogy, they'll head over to work on the boxset.

It won't be a great trilogy boxset unless we get:
- The Matrix with an improved widescreen transfer.
- The Matrix Revisited.
- The Matrix Reloaded with more detailed extras.
- The Matrix Revolutions with more detailed extras (I'm sure it'll be like the Reloaded two-disc set), so I'm just saying that in advance.
- The Animatrix.

If done right, we could get a nice 6 - 8 disc boxset.
Old 12-19-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 12-19-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm sure we'll get the boxset sometime late next year or sometime early-to-mid 2005. According to the interview, it looks like not much is prepared yet for it. I'm sure once the Brothers are done working on the online game based on the trilogy, they'll head over to work on the boxset.

- The Matrix Revisited.
- The Matrix Revolutions with more detailed extras (I'm sure it'll be like the Reloaded two-disc set), so I'm just saying that in advance.
- The Animatrix.

COULD is the key word here, theres a good chance the could screw this up too....
Old 12-20-03, 12:27 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this thread applies in here very well. We are all sucker of all time...
Old 12-20-03, 01:20 AM

Re: Joel Silver Re: Matrix Box Set & New Transfer of The Matrix

Originally posted by dgc

..."When we put out the box set box set or whatever we do , we really want to be sure they (the fans) get something great."

so we will be getting the first movie then.
Old 12-20-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so we will be getting the first movie then.
Hahaha, you're so funny! I'm sorry, but The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions are two of the best films of the year. Watching them just once don't do the films justice. Just like the first film, you have to watch it more than once to take everything in. I saw both films four times each in theater (twice in 35mm and twice in IMAX).

COULD is the key word here, theres a good chance the could screw this up too....
True. But with the exception of the extras, The Matrix Reloaded was a very fine disc in terms of audio and video. Same applies to the first one IMO, even if the video can use an upgrade now.

I don't care about DTS all that much, all I want is a great sounding Dolby Digital 5.1 track along with a fantastic anamorphic widescreen transfer. Extras don't matter to much to me, I just want the films to look and sound excellent.
Old 12-20-03, 02:11 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
- The Matrix Revisited.
- The Animatrix.

If true, the Matrix Boxset will totally and utterly bruise the damn Alien Quadrilogy's corn hole. Go Matrix!!!
Old 12-20-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just want a new transfer of the first film. If I am forced to buy Reloaded and Revolutions to get it, I will pass. The current transfer is still pretty good even for today's standards - though a better one is possible.
Old 12-20-03, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by DavidH
I just want a new transfer of the first film. If I am forced to buy Reloaded and Revolutions to get it, I will pass. The current transfer is still pretty good even for today's standards - though a better one is possible.
I agree. I find it funny that he says "When we do a boxset, we want to make sure the fans get something great." I guess that cancels out the second two movies. And, yes, Matthew, I did see both multiple times, hoping I would like them more. No such luck. And seeing it in IMAX only made it easier to spot when they were using doubles.

The phrase "kind of want to do a new transfer" makes the only reason I'd get another Matrix DVD sound iffy.
Old 12-20-03, 05:32 PM

I'm guessing that the box set will probably include Revisited, but very probably will not include The Animatrix. Anyway, I'm getting the first version of Revolutions that comes out and then I'll skip the box set / 2nd DVD release of them all and then get the 1st HD-DVD box set of them all.
Old 12-21-03, 01:23 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One sure way to get us suckers of the year to rebuy the boxset is to put DTS on all of them

Since it's from WB, I don't think so.
Old 12-21-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
.... I did see both multiple times, hoping I would like them more. No such luck.

Same here... I wanted SO BAD to really enjoy them more with repeated viewings, but I just found myself hitting the restroom and looking at my watch way more than I normally do.

Maybe by the time the "Ultimate Boxset" comes out, a year or so will have passed, and I'll pop one of the sequels in and watch it, while drinking, with absolutely no expectations at all.

Worked for Joe Dirt.
Old 12-22-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've definitely been waiting for this to see the daylight. Whatever others may express about the films, this is IMO a must-own trilogy and I can't wait for it to come out!
Old 12-22-03, 06:36 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

these 2 movies r so so only. but will get it for the effects though.
Old 12-22-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm game for a box set even though i own the first two and animatrix already.
Old 12-22-03, 02:24 PM

count me in as one of those who will wait for The Matrix to be re-released and that's it. There's no way I'm paying for the crap that was Reloaded and Revolutions. Now if they decide to re-make those films...I might be interested.
Old 12-22-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pdutta2000
count me in as one of those who will wait for The Matrix to be re-released and that's it. There's no way I'm paying for the crap that was Reloaded and Revolutions. Now if they decide to re-make those films...I might be interested.
I'll rebuy The Matrix.. Reloaded and Revolution do not exsist to me.
Old 12-22-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll purchase Revolutions when it comes out, and then I'll also purchase the boxed set when that comes out too. I think we all knew a while ago that there would be an eventual boxed set of all 3 films, so this doesn't surprise me. I will just sell my individual titles when the boxed set comes out.