DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   When you get banged up DVDs purchased through the Internet what do you do? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/336525-when-you-get-banged-up-dvds-purchased-through-internet-what-do-you-do.html)

GatorDeb 12-18-03 05:44 PM

When you get banged up DVDs purchased through the Internet what do you do?

I got some purchases from DDD and some boxsets are banged up to various degrees. For examples the corner of one boxset is smashed up (Blackhawk Down SE 3-disc).

Do you exchange for 1 banged up corner even if the rest (and of course the discs) are perfect? 2 corners? What is the line that has to be crossed for you to return it?

2 items have scratches so those are going back. But I don't know about banged up boxes.

RichDB10 12-18-03 05:52 PM

Well you'd be quite in your rights to return the item to be exchanged but then again you run the risk of the whole situation occuring again.
Personally speaking it's just one of those annoying things i deal with when it comes to packaging...if the discs themselves are scratch free and play perfectly then that is all that really matters to me.

retihsuhnt 12-18-03 05:58 PM

One of my friends really busts my chops for this, but if any corner is bent, dinged, or smooshed Im not going to buy it. Same goes for through mail-order, thats why I choose to buy "box sets" through B/Ms.

Take for example to DDD sale recently I spent what amounted to $0.03 more on three (3) seperate keepcases of Fawlty Towers rather than risking a damaged boxset.

I am really anal-retenetive about my stuff (not just DVDs), so if one corner is lessened in any way, it goes back.

gutwrencher 12-18-03 06:03 PM

depends on the damage done. I've been lucky so far.

Kermit! 12-18-03 07:15 PM

As long as the discs are fine I could care less about the packaging.

My Godfather box set has a dented corner and the side opposite the logo is all tore up because some glue holding the piece of paper on wouldn't come off. Come to think of it, I think all my boxes have fuzzy and bent corners on them.

ArchibaldTuttle 12-19-03 12:08 AM

only happened to me once, the disc was loose and sliding around in the case, but some how managed not to get scratched, I just replaced the case

D-Ball 12-19-03 01:32 AM

If the box looks like it has been bouncing around in the trunk of my car for a few months, then I would definitely send it back. But if the damage is minor, I would probably just ignore it.

Roy28 12-19-03 01:37 AM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
One of my friends really busts my chops for this, but if any corner is bent, dinged, or smooshed Im not going to buy it. Same goes for through mail-order, thats why I choose to buy "box sets" through B/Ms.

Take for example to DDD sale recently I spent what amounted to $0.03 more on three (3) seperate keepcases of Fawlty Towers rather than risking a damaged boxset.

I am really anal-retenetive about my stuff (not just DVDs), so if one corner is lessened in any way, it goes back.

I'm the exact same way - any flaw and it goes back. When I buy something in a b&m store I go over every copy with a fine-tooth comb until I find the "perfect" one.

victant 12-19-03 03:23 AM

The only horrible shipment of DVD's I received extremely banged up were from amazon. The keep case was shattered and the disc snapped in half!! Needless to say, I called up amazon's (IMHO, btw) excellent CSR and the replacement arrived within 2 days of placing the call.

However, whenever I get slightly crushed shipments from other e-tailers, which inevitably damage the case or create scratches on the disc itself, I usually just shrug my shoulders and write it off to the consequences of free shipping. If it's not amazon, it's just not worth it.

EPKJ 12-19-03 03:40 AM

If the box is damaged, I return the item. I don't pay for damaged merchandise.

ckolchak 12-19-03 06:24 AM

I got some purchases from DDD and some boxsets are banged up to various degrees. For examples the corner of one boxset is smashed up (Blackhawk Down SE 3-disc).
honestly, i've been expecting more threads like this after the big sale.
i've had terrible experience with DDD in the past when it comes to large box sets.
to keep the cost of shipping and packing down the use the barest of packing materials.
i've had $100+ box sets just thrown in a large box with one wad of paper that arrived completely ruined from being banged around with no support.
i was lucky on one of the sales orders so far- both the alien quad set and the Alias set came in excellant condition- but i've got more sets on the way and would be surprised if my luck holds out.

2 yrs ago, i called them up and arranged for them to send pre-paid package labels so i could return the damamged sets (still unopened) and they could ship out new ones- better packed this time.

you can get satisfaction from DDD, but it takes paitience and perserverence.

i ebay a lot of what i buy after i watch it (more convienent than renting tho a little more expensive).
for that reason, anything i get that is even slightly banged up is something that i can't expect to get full value of on resale.
or shipping banged up merch, will only create bad will from my buyers.

its in my interest to get the best condition merch i can for what i am paying.

matome 12-19-03 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Kermit!
As long as the discs are fine I could care less about the packaging.

Exactly.

shumway 12-19-03 08:42 AM

Ages ago, I ordered Batman: Mask of the Phantasm from Bigstar or Reel, don't recall which, and, it arrived loose and scratched, but only on the full screen side. As this played fine on Widescreen and the spindle itself was not broken, I didn't return it. I could care that the full screen side was scratched as I would NEVER watch it.

Tarantino 12-19-03 10:01 AM

Hey, I'm in this game for the movies, not the packaging. As long as my disc is fine, I'm fine.

JimRochester 12-19-03 10:19 AM

The packaging can reduce resale or trade value, unless you think you'll never get rid of these, or don't care about it, keep it. But if it bothers you enough to start a thread, I'd replace them.

Easy 12-19-03 10:40 AM

I usually don't bother unless the disks themselves are damaged. It would have to have a chunk torn or broken off for me to bother. Unfortunately, I had two sets with floaters and damaged disks. They were well packed but the worst was Angel 2....and the Buffy Angel sets are notorious for floaters/damage no matter where purchased. Bottom line, returns are a PITA but I don't really blame ddd.

Spiky 12-19-03 02:28 PM

I've had only one and I didn't replace it. If it was bad enough I'd replace it, or if it was a movie I especially wanted to be perfect. Perhaps the LOTR EEs.

My kids damage more than shipping ever would, so it's easy to look the other way most of the time. Anybody seen the box to my Toy Story DVD??

QuikSilver 12-19-03 05:07 PM

I purchased LOTR: TTT EE from DDD and when I opened the set, the first disc has a scratch mark. I played the disc and it works perfectly fine. I'm pissed that the disc is scratched but I don't want to hastle with taking it back and possibly paying for shipping.