DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Must Have DVD's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/336498-must-have-dvds.html)

kdipirro 12-18-03 02:47 PM

Must Have DVD's

I have just hit the 250 DVD count... With the holidays coming im looking to new movies I may have overlooked. So I am looking for peoples DVDs that need to be a "Must Have" for your home DVD library.

Thanks

MEJHarrison 12-18-03 04:06 PM

I'd say search for other "must have" type threads. They're posted over and over. Also look for "if you could only take 1 DVD from a burning building" (Just say that one further down today) or "If you could only take [some limited number] DVDs to a desert island" or any other variation of the age old question.

You might also try clicking on the links that lots of users have in their signatures leading you to their personal collections. For example, you can find mine here: My Collection. Feel free to browse, but I find everyone has different tastes, so what's "must have" for me may very well not be "must have" for you.

You might also try posting your question in a single place. I noticed you posted this in at least two seperate places.

Hope that was helpful. Since you failed to give any indication of what you like, I can't really be more helpful. If all else fails, ask yourself what you might enjoy watching and just buy that.

PixyJunket 12-18-03 04:10 PM

Good Burger.

DodgingCars 12-18-03 04:24 PM

My must-haves:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (EE)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (EE)
Amadeus - Director's Cut
The Emperor's New Groove (The Ultimate Groove)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Princess Bride
Braveheart
Glory
Good Will Hunting (Collector's Series)
The Goonies
Monsters, Inc. (2-DVD Set)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (2-Disc Special Ed)
My Cousin Vinny
Ocean's Eleven
October Sky
Toy Story/Toy Story 2 (2-Disc DVD Set)
The Young Ones - Every Stoopid Episode
Almost Famous
Apollo 13
Beautiful Girls
Bend It Like Beckham
The Big Lebowski
The Bourne Identity
Dark City
Dazed and Confused
Die Hard
Donnie Brasco
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial The 20th Anniversary
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
Finding Nemo
Gladiator (2-Disc Set)
Go
Ice Age
The Iron Giant
The Italian Job
Jurassic Park
Malcolm in the Middle - The Complete First Season
The Matrix
Pump Up the Volume
The Right Stuff
Road to Perdition
Saturday Night Live 4-Pack
Saving Private Ryan
Simpsons
Stand by Me
Swingers
Tommy Boy
Wallace & Gromit
What About Bob?
Better Off Dead
Cheers - The Complete First Season
Fawlty Towers - The Complete Set
The Looney Tunes Golden Collection
Pirates of the Caribbean
Beverly Hills Cop
A Christmas Story
The Adventures of Indiana Jones

HistoryProf 12-18-03 04:27 PM

I must have dvds of movies I like. I'm not sure why anyone else must have them based on that.....

DodgingCars 12-18-03 04:36 PM

Originally posted by brizz
I must have dvds of movies I like. I'm not sure why anyone else must have them based on that.....
That's how I feel. That's why my collection doesn't mirror many of those "essential" lists you see on different sites (including this one). But I figured I'd share my list.. if the guy happens to have similar tastes as me, he might see something he forgot about.

celluloidwisdom 12-18-03 04:55 PM

kdipirro --

If you post a link to your collection, we can see what you have and so perhaps make suggestions.

illennium 12-18-03 07:46 PM

There's no such thing as a must-have DVD.

Adrenaline 12-18-03 08:26 PM

Your collection should be made up of movies you enjoy not what other people think. My collection wouldn't be very big if I limited my collection to IMDB ratings of over 8.

PapaWheelie 12-18-03 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Adrenaline
Your collection should be made up of movies you enjoy not what other people think. My collection wouldn't be very big if I limited my collection to IMDB ratings of over 8.
Excellent point. Go with what you like... make it a personal "must have". No one knows what they're talking about. Well, on that note you should have Family Guy Volumes 1 and 2 and It's A Wonderful Life (what with the holidays and all).

Dammit 12-18-03 09:56 PM

Shakes the Clown

FuzzyBallz 12-18-03 10:21 PM

The Red Light District stuff are pretty good. Private Gold's too expensive.

Tscott 12-19-03 04:27 AM

Passion of Joan of Arc
Best of Insomniac with Dave Attell Vol 2
Adventures in Babysitting
Bride of Frankenstein
Secretary
Roman Holiday
Color of Night
Citizen Ruth
Fawlty Towers
Dick
Gunsmith Cats
The Pit and the Pendulum
They Might Be Giants: Direct From Brooklyn

QuiGonJosh 12-19-03 04:40 AM

just buy my collection

TheKing 12-19-03 05:01 AM

It's Pat: The Movie

RichDB10 12-19-03 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Adrenaline
Absolutely....it's a matter of personal preferance much in the same way i wouldn't try and tell you what CD's you 'must have'.
I also think that my collection would be non existent if i limited my choices to the IMDB rating scale.

steebo777 12-19-03 07:28 AM

Must have without a doubt:

The Big Lebowski

...'nuff said

kdipirro 12-19-03 08:18 AM

I guess my focus for this thread was for other peoples opinions as to what is a must have for them. Im not looking for specific reccomendations but what each person considers as a "Must Have"

tacomantt 12-19-03 08:26 AM

Is this the thread where everyone lists their favorite DVD? ;)

MEJHarrison 12-19-03 11:36 AM

Originally posted by kdipirro
I guess my focus for this thread was for other peoples opinions as to what is a must have for them. Im not looking for specific reccomendations but what each person considers as a "Must Have"
If you'll look at my collection (posted in the second reply up above), you'll see most of my "must have" movies. If it's not on my list, it's either not a "must have" or it's a "must have more money and/or time". And just to complicate matters, some of the "must have" movies on my list are my wife's "must haves", or one of my two children's "must haves". I used to collect "don't really want" movies just to be different, but that got a little old eventually.

For this time of year, my biggest "must have" is It's a Wonderful Life.

Tscott 12-19-03 01:11 PM

Originally posted by kdipirro
What I was going for in my short list, listed above, was that the main thing that makes something a "must have" in my collection is simply the fact that I like the title no matter what it is.

My short list was not all inclusive, but picked to be diverse enough that it implied that clearly not everyone would consider every title on it a "must have" like I do. Hence, the inclusion of Roman Holiday next to Color of Night, or the inclusion of the dark abortion comedy, Citizen Ruth, or a video collection of TMBG, etc.

In short, it's all about whether you like the title or not. It's as simple (and as complicated) as that...

evenswr 12-19-03 03:25 PM

You must have this.

Iron_Giant 12-19-03 03:26 PM

No special order.

Casablanca: Two-Disc Special
The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete Collection
Toy Story / Toy Story 2
The Sound of Music: Five Star Collection
Singing in the Rain (Two-Disc Special Edition)

Fiddler on the Roof: Special Edition
Lord of the Rings FotR, TT and RotK EE
The Matrix
Walt Disney Treasures (Mikey, Goofy, Silly...and watch them, do not just have them to sell later)

Saving Private Ryan: Special Limited
Black Hawk Down DTS
The Mask of Zorro: Superbit Deluxe DTS

West Side Story: Special Edition
Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 (Next Year)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Collection
The Looney Tunes Golden Collection

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
White Christmas: Special Edition
It's a Wonderful Life

I find the list to cover most of my "Must have" DVDs: Classics, Demo, SF, Musicals, Adventure, Cartoon, Kids, Holidays, Drama, Family, War...

Calistoga 12-19-03 04:26 PM

Must haves IMO:

Alien Quadrilogy
Bruce Almighty
X-Men & X-2
Lord of the Rings-Fellowship & Two Towers
Soprano Seasons 1-4
Signs
Sixth Sense
Zoolander
As Good As It Gets
Godfather Collection