Community
Search

slightly dissapointing SCHINDLER'S LIST dvd news

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 08:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slightly dissapointing SCHINDLER'S LIST dvd news

The last remaining major Steven Spielberg film not yet released on DVD, Schindler's List will celebrate its tenth birthday in 2004, and buzz continues to rage on the Internet about a pending DVD release. Recent overseas adverts have indicated a release date in early March, but so far Universal Studios Home Video has remained mum on just what, if any, their plans are for the release.

But longtime Spielberg publicist Marvin Levy did have a few words to say about the rumors, confirming that those looking forward to an imminent DVD release in honor of the 10th anniversary of the Academy Award-winning masterpiece are "on the right track," although both Spielberg and the studio are "not yet certain about a specific date." And what of extras, including a long-rumored extended cut of the film with deleted material? Although a few of the director's earlier DVD releases have included deleted material, such as JAWS, or extended versions, including both 1941 and Close Encounters, "You know where Steven is on deleted scenes at this point," Levy elaborate, adding that Spielberg "does not what to get into [a situation of], 'I could have put this in and here's why.' Or, 'I love this scene but I had to cut it.' I wouldn't bet that, whenever Schindler's List comes, that you will likely see a deleted scene."

Also to be absent from the release will be any alternate audio tracks; many had hoped Spielberg that would change his no commentary policy for Schindler's List, given its highly personal subject matter. But the release wil instead feature another extended documentary, produced by longtime collaborator Laurent Bouzereau. "He gives so much when he does his interviews" that he feels commentaries are redundant, Levy explains, but not before offering one last ray of hope: "That is not to say he won't someday change his mind."
Old 12-17-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
To be disappointed, one would had to have been thinking the opposite was going to happen. I'm really not surprised.
Old 12-17-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no surprise here!
Old 12-17-03, 08:57 PM

No biggie. He's prolly a bore on commentaries anyways. He'll just babble.

"I would have liked to go back and replace the Jews with walkie talkies..."
Old 12-17-03, 09:12 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I would gladly welcome a barebones edition of this film if it would speed up the process. The extras are just that--extras. I want the movie.
Old 12-17-03, 09:28 PM

i'm disappointed because............oh the MOVIE is being release on DVD, and I am disappointed why?????
Old 12-17-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm disappointed that they would release a "10th Anniversary Edition" 11 years later.
Old 12-17-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Commercial for it's release in 1st quarter 2004 is on the new Seabiscuit DVD.
Old 12-17-03, 11:27 PM

Amen, Elise. When I first went big on buying DVDs -what, near 7 years ago, I was all hopped up and frothing over extras. All these years later, looking back at the seldom times I've viewed an "extra" more than once, that first time, I find myself annoyed that I have to upgrade to the new versions not because of new extra crap tacked on, but because the actual transfer is improved. F the extras, just give me the top-notch transfer out of the gate. damn it.
Old 12-18-03, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am just interested to find out how Universal will handle this particular release hoping they don't screw up like they did on ET and Back to the Future
Old 12-18-03, 02:06 AM
Banned

Doesn't anybody who really wants to see this movie already have one of the many versions that came out on laserdisc?
Old 12-18-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wm lopez
Doesn't anybody who really wants to see this movie already have one of the many versions that came out on laserdisc?
Of course not.

Believe it or not, not everyone owns a Laserdisc player.
Old 12-18-03, 03:00 AM
Suspended

I bought the "unofficial" release about a year ago. It's good enough for me.
Old 12-18-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
No surprise here either. Just give me a good video transfer, DD and DTS tracks then I'll be happy.
Old 12-18-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Not only am I not disappointed, I'm actually GLAD that there won't be added deleted scenes. I think the movie is perfect as is. I also wouldn't want a commentary track from Spielberg. He's opposed to doing 'em, so, if he did do one, it would probably be pretty crappy/boring.

IMHO, of course
Old 12-18-03, 08:02 AM

I am not disappointed. I would not mind the deleted scenes, as long as they were not edited back in to a special extended edition or something - well, actually I wouldn't care about that if the theatrical were available as well. I HATE (and I mean HATE!) it when only an "extended" or "director's" cut is available. I always always always want the theatrical version to at least be available. Thankfully, Spielberg did this with ET.

If Schindler's List comes out bare-bones and the movie just starts when you put the disc in and there aren't even menus, I would not care. Just give me the film.
Old 12-18-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm happy. Just give me a quality presentation. Spielberg's "extended documentaries" are (IMO) much more interesting than commentary tracks. And this is the type of film that deleted scenes would almost be insulting.
"This is where we were going to show the Nazis burning live Jews, but thought it slowed down the pacing of the story"
Old 12-18-03, 10:23 AM
Banned

I have no problem with him not doing commentaries...
Old 12-18-03, 02:44 PM
SeeNo Member

I'm not disappointed either. As long as theres DTS and a good transfer then I'll be happy.
Old 12-18-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
From the Digital Bits:

It's official folks! As we reported last week, Universal studios will release Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List on 3/9 (SRP $26.98). The single-disc set will be packaged in both Digipak and keep case packaging (the disc will be DVD-18 - dual sided, dual layered). Seperate anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions will be available, both with audio in English, French and Spanisg Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, as well as English DTS 5.1 audio (along with English captions and French and Spanish subtitles). To our knowledge, there will be no extras on this DVD. There will also be a gift set version available (SRP $79.98) that will include the anamorphic widescreen version of the DVD along with a coffee table book, the CD soundtrack, a senitype cell and a certificate of authenticity. Reportedly, this title is being co-marketed with the DVD release of the Steven Spielberg-produced TV miniseries Broken Silence, although we have no details yet on that. Here's a look at the cover art and the gift set.

Andrew
Old 12-18-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just glad to have the movie
Old 12-18-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm just a little surprised that there's no extras at all.

I'd also rather they drop the DTS and give us the film uninterrupted, instead of a flipper.
Old 12-18-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
No color, no sale! (just kidding!)
Old 12-18-03, 09:13 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
No color, no sale! (just kidding!)
Technically, there is color.
Old 12-19-03, 02:09 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought flipping of movies died a couple of years ago. If they have to do a flipper. I would prefer a 2 disk at the very least.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.