Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What studio has been impressing you the most lately?

Old 12-16-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd have to say Palm Pictures for me--they've come out with a lot of GREAT releases that are completely out of left field. When it comes to cold purchases, Palm Pictures has replaced Criterion as my favorite--I used to just pick up a Criterion with no hesitation that it would be an interesting film, but Palm's DVDs seem to be sort of an edgier Criterion. 1 Giant Leap, the directors' series, Scratch... I simply haven't seen a sub-par disc from Palm. (I'll keep my fingers crossed that Cremaster 3 looks great next year).

What other studios (mainstream or not) have been doing a great job?
Old 12-16-03, 03:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

without a doubt...New Line..they never let down on thier releases..in 2nd comes Anchor Bay and in 3rd ,MGM
Old 12-16-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it cliche' to say Criterion? I love them for expanding my horizons and continually turning out AWESOME films with great quality.
Old 12-16-03, 03:55 PM

1. Criterion (stellar year of releases: Fassbinder, Bergman, Truffaut box sets; La Strada, Tokyo Story, Trouble in Paradise, Straw Dogs, by Brakhage, etc, etc.)
2. Warner Bros. (finally treating their unparalled cache of classic titles with brilliant DVD releases; Looney Tunes; Chaplin releases; OUATIA)
3. Buena Vista/Miramax/Disney/Pixar/Touchstone (Three Colors: Blue/White/Red, 25th Hour, Finding Nemo)
4. Fox (the Studio Classics line--especially the care they took with Sunrise; X2, Miller's Crossing, All That Jazz, etc.)

Columbia TriStar would be at the bottom of my list--overpriced barebones releases (Beautiful Thing, The Awful Truth, In a Lonely Place) and the criminal treatment they gave Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy (unrestored, barebones, AND overpriced).
Old 12-16-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What studio has been impressing you the most lately?

Originally posted by Eeyore
I'd have to say Palm Pictures for me--they've come out with a lot of GREAT releases that are completely out of left field.
Without regurgitating the usual suspects...Criterion,Blue Underground i'd have to agree with you....the quality of their Directors Label releases coupled with the excellent pricing not mentioning the impressive 'inserts' have me eagerly awaiting the next set of releases in the spring of 2004 (Fincher?..Romanek?) which as you also highlighted will see the hopeful release of the whole of The Cremaster Cycle.

On a similar note..i've recently picked up a few more releases from Ruscico and have to say that the treatment afforded to their releases of russian cinema can rival Criterion's own best efforts!
Old 12-16-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...definitely: Palm Pictures...

. . . . . .
Old 12-16-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pixar. 5 releases, 5 hits, and The Incredibles is looking like a 6th great release. No duds here.
Old 12-16-03, 04:40 PM

MGM
Old 12-16-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd have to agree with Palm Pictures. Didn't they also put out the Def Jux disc? That, Scratch, and the Director's Label series... pretty sweet for fans of good music.
Old 12-16-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been pretty impressed with Warner lately. Yeah, they still have some crappy releases, but with their 2 (or more, in the case of Looney Tunes) disk sets, they have some really excellent releases of catalog titles, with good restorations and interesting extras. There treatment of some movies has moved them from the maybe someday pile to must-haves.

Bottom of my list: Universal. They keep the must-have pile small, because they release movies I love and do such a crap job, I decide not to buy them.
Old 12-16-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am Gut's broken record.....Blue Underground.
Old 12-16-03, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I am Gut's broken record.....Blue Underground.
I second that
Old 12-16-03, 07:39 PM

In terms of Palm Pictures my understanding of Cremaster 3 is that is not the entire 182 minute complete cut but the last 30 minutes of the film. Someone correct me if I wrong about this but that is my understanding , rumour has it that the entire Cremaster series is on DVD but for a price of 1000 bucks.

Hey eeyore did you catch any of the series either at the AFI Silver Theatre or Visions.
Old 12-16-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Ginwen about Warner. I've really enjoyed the classic films with the newsreels, slected shorts and cartoon included. They make the whole thing feel like an event!
Old 12-17-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
Hey eeyore did you catch any of the series either at the AFI Silver Theatre or Visions.
Yeah, i saw all of them at the AFI silver (except 3, which i had seen at the Hirschorn a few months earlier). I don't head up to the Silver as often as I should--it seems like a great place.

I know the current DVD only has the end of Cremaster 3 ("the order") but I thought they were releasing the whole thing next spring. I hope it's not $1000!
Old 12-17-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
I know the current DVD only has the end of Cremaster 3 ("the order") but I thought they were releasing the whole thing next spring. I hope it's not $1000!
That was my understanding also.
I think the $1000 to which Giles is referring is i suspect a release via Matthew Barney himself, i guess in a similar way the Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi were first available before general sale.

It's a shame Palm Pictures can't have a website to match their fantastic DVD releases with how infrequently anything is ever updated.
Old 12-17-03, 03:14 PM
SeeNo Member

Fox (mainly for the studio classics and the Alien Quad)
Old 12-17-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox does excellent work with their movies and TV shows. Can't complain about that
Old 12-17-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Universal.
Old 12-17-03, 05:51 PM

The capture of Saddam. Oh wait, you said studio . . .

MISS PEACH
Old 12-17-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to go with WB.

I like the two-disc classics they been releasing.
Old 12-17-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOT Universal...theyre packaging of box sets and some movies is not very consumer friendly (example Scarface and the Hitchcock box sets).

I would have to say FOX after seeing the Alien Quadrilogy set...one of the greatest releases Ive ever seen (though I would have liked different packaging). They are very good with getting TV box sets out...most of their shows are already being released or in the process. I feel pretty comfortable in assuming that Arrested Development will be out by next September .
Old 12-18-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like the WB two disc set's and plan on getting all of them over time.

I also like FOX for the Alien set and the TV Box set King of the Hill and the Simpsons.