Which free WB Special Edition DVD should I get?

Old 12-16-03, 11:22 AM

Which free WB Special Edition DVD should I get? (I chose Citizen Kane!)

Hey all, I was doing a little shopping today and decided to pick up Boogie Nights and True Romance for my sister for the holidays. Anyways, I know about the Buy 2 Get 1 free promotion WB is running. I'm having a hard time deciding what movie to get, so I was looking for a little feedback from all of you.....

I already have (or don't want)....
Blade 2
Boogie Nights
Christmas Story
Magnolia
True Romance
Seven

The ones I'm considering are:

Amadeus (saw it once, thought it was pretty good)
Citizen Kane (never saw it, but I don't tend to like classics)
The Color Purple (never saw it)
JFK (never saw it, but always wanted to)
One Flew over the Cukoos Nest (same as JFK)

So, of the above 5, which do you think I should get (and why)? Once I'm convinced, I'll post what DVD I'm gonna select. Please post replies here.

-r

Last edited by jackepstein; 12-20-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-16-03, 11:30 AM
Banned

Amadeus has some new scenes which make it an even better film.
Old 12-16-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Casablanca! Ok, I see it isn't on your short list. I would personally get Citizen Kane but I'm an Orson Welles freak but it probably isn't your cup of tea. From the list you gave you can't go wrong with either Amadeus or One Flew over the Cukoos Nest. I'd say get One Flew...

-Steve
Old 12-16-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I vote for One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest. Citzen Kane is also an amazing film (obviously)
Old 12-16-03, 12:21 PM

Well, the three I'm doing are
CITIZEN KANE
THE CHRISTMAS STORY
THE COLOR PURPLE

I was going to urge you to get Citizen Kane if for no other reason than the Oscar-Nominated "Two-hour tornado of a documentary (Time magazine) . . ." included with the SE set but if you don't like classics (CK being the Mother of All Classics and in every FILM 101 class) you probably wouldn't be able to appreciate some of the finer nuances of the film (camera angles, lighting etc.). For me it wasn't just a mandatory purchase; it was the first DVD purchase I made.
Okay. Nuff said about The Great One heh heh.

If you like really gripping story-telling in which you will laugh as much as you will cry Spielberg's The Color Purple is just a fabulous piece of storytelling, and it's brilliant on film.

The other one I was looking at was the Clint Eastwood edgy Western Unforgiven which is Clint's best directorial effort imho. Peel it like an onion it's durable enough to survive multiple re-screenings, heartbreaking, and exquisitely cast.

MISS PEACH
Old 12-16-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
it was the first DVD purchase I made.
Me too.
Old 12-16-03, 12:25 PM

I would say go with Amadeus, it is a great film and that release is a good one.

As for seconds I would say JFK and then One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I would have recommended Citizen Kane (in second tied with JFK), but since you said you don't like classics then really what is the point.
Old 12-16-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Which free WB Special Edition DVD should I get?

Originally posted by jackepstein

The ones I'm considering are:

Amadeus (saw it once, thought it was pretty good)
Citizen Kane (never saw it, but I don't tend to like classics)
The Color Purple (never saw it)
JFK (never saw it, but always wanted to)
One Flew over the Cukoos Nest (same as JFK)

So, of the above 5, which do you think I should get (and why)? Once I'm convinced, I'll post what DVD I'm gonna select. Please post replies here.

-r
Even though you state that you don't like classics I would say consider Citizen Kane. Why? Well, it's a great story. It's a great technical film with innovative, unusual angles and shots. You get an informative commentary by Roger Ebert. You get a feature length documentary that delves into the war between Hearst and Welles. What's more you get trailers, story boards and, for those who can't sleep, you get a feature length commentary by Peter Bogdonovich.
Old 12-16-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amadeus or One Flew over the Cukoos Nest: either one would be an excellent choice.
Old 12-16-03, 01:02 PM

Citizen Kane

MISS PEACH
Sorry. Just couldn't resist.
Old 12-16-03, 01:13 PM
Banned

Citizen Kane
Old 12-16-03, 01:40 PM

CK
Old 12-16-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on what you already have and what you say about your tastes, I'd say you probably ought to rank them:

JFK
One Flew Over ...
Amadeus
Color Purple
Citizen Kane

Note that my own personal rankings would be different (I'd switch Kane and JFK, for one thing), but you seem to like modern movies with some zip to them, and I think JFK comes closest.
Old 12-16-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH

The other one I was looking at was the Clint Eastwood edgy Western Unforgiven which is Clint's best directorial effort imho. Peel it like an onion it's durable enough to survive multiple re-screenings, heartbreaking, and exquisitely cast.

MISS PEACH
I'll second Unforgiven. It is one of my favorite films and has great replay value.
Old 12-16-03, 01:50 PM
SeeNo Member

Citizen Kane According to the AFI (American Film Institute) its the greatest american movie of all time.
Old 12-16-03, 01:56 PM
Banned

"Citizen Kane According to the AFI (American Film Institute) its the greatest american movie of all time."

Yes, but they are wrong. Casablanca is actually the greatest American film of all time. It dwarfs Citizen Kane in every category, especially entertainment value. But, I still think his best bet is the new Amadeus with added scenes. The film is now much better.
Old 12-16-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
"Citizen Kane According to the AFI (American Film Institute) its the greatest american movie of all time."

Yes, but they are wrong. Casablanca is actually the greatest American film of all time. It dwarfs Citizen Kane in every category, especially entertainment value.
That's a big negative. But that's why we all have opinions... Personally, I consider Casablanca to be one of the most overrated films of all time. But, to each their own!

On the other hand... Kane should be mandatory viewing for anyone with an interest in film... And it is one of the 10 greatest films ever made. It's influence is equal to it's reputation and it is film school 101 in a box.

But, since you don't "like classics" Amadeus, JFK and OFOTCN are all highly recommended... As is Unforgiven... As is Singin' In The Rain and a personal favorite of mine... Dr. Zhivago.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 12-16-03 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While all of the ones that you listed are great (Citizen Kane and One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest, in particular are true classics), I think that Amadeus is the way to go. It is an amazing release and has the most "replay-ability" of the ones that you listed.

P.S. - I really didn't like Unforgiven, so I can't agree with our comrades on that one . . .
Old 12-16-03, 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback... Keep em coming.

Based on everyone's recommendation, I'm really leaning towards Citizen Kane (and when I speak of "classics", I speak mostly of movies that have garnered an insurmountable of critical acclaim that may leave viewers let down).

I'll ultimately go with a movie I have never seen before, so that leaves these three in the running:

JFK
Citizen Kane
One Flew Over...

Now, is Citizen Kane that good? I know of the story as it has been a staple of pop culture since its inception. I like only a few of Oliver Stone's movies, as I feel most of his work is shock for the sake of shock (NBK was the only film that worked with his style). As for One Flew Over, I know almost nothing about it except that it may fit my tastes the best (I love great writing).

I welcome all feedback! In fact, once I get the DVD set (8 to 10 weeks), I'll write my thoughts about it in this thread...
-r
Old 12-16-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aww, you weeded out my choice: Amadeus.

Well, I still think you should get that one--it's the one I watch the most out of all those.

Of the ones you have left, I guess I like Cuckoo's Nest best. It's hard for me to objectively judge Citizen Kane, since there's so much hype about it, but I was a bit disappointed in it when I saw it the first time (earlier this year).

Last edited by Ginwen; 12-16-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 08:53 PM

Cuckoo

Most of the titles are great. I however, recommend:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Here you get the always fantastic Nicholson and the equally fantastic and steely-eyed Louise Fletcher as nurse Ratched.

Let's not forget Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd at their emotionally disturbed best! Plus you'll catch plenty of character actors you've come to recognize over the years.

To top it off, you get a moving, heartfelt story. How can you go wrong??

You won't regret owning this movie.

Damn! Talking about it makes me wanna run and watch it again!!
Old 12-16-03, 09:16 PM

Citizen 'Mondo' Kane
Old 12-16-03, 09:47 PM

One Flew over the Cukoos Nest
Old 12-17-03, 10:38 AM

Citizen Humongous Towering Gigantic Immortal Deific Kane

MISS PEACH
Old 12-17-03, 10:45 AM

Citizen Kane, Cukoo's Nest or JFK

In that order...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.