Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

NY Times Article (12/14) - What delays some DVDs from being issued

Old 12-13-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought I'd point out some interesting tidbits from Sunday's NY Times article (12/14) Art and Leisure Section pages 43 and 44.

Many points may not be new to you but hopefully some may.

The article is basically examples of what can and does delay some film classics from being released.

Tidbits:

Gaslight, Goodbye Mr. Chips and Days and Wine of Roses will be released in January and February by Warner. (I knew about Gaslight but not about the other two being released so early in the 2004 schedule).

Warner is preparing Top Hat, Meet Me in St. Louis, and Death and Venice over the next two years. "and several newly restored Chaplin films."

The new Escape from New York SE was delayed over two years because the negative was missing. It was found in a "mismarked film can."

Because of so many corporate mergers, studios aren't always sure of what they own. And when they are sure, they may not have any idea where the film elements are.

La Dolce Vita is delayed by Koch-Lorber because Paramount sued them saying they own the rights. Paramount is doing readying their own release.

Harold Lloyd's silent films are not released because Lloyd's granddaughter will not sell or lease the rights.

The Blade Runner three disc special edition is not being released because Jerrry Perenchio has not given permission to release them. Perenchio got into the loop because the original Blade Runner went over budget causing ownership to change due to contract stipulations.

Nothing new per se but as to why more classic films have not made it to DVD per one executive "unless it is Casablanca or Citizen Kane, the studios will sell 100 times more copies of a bad action filmm made three years ago than they'll sell of a great film that they've dug out of the archive." (my note: Unfortunately, sad but probably true).

Duck Soup is coming from Universal. "we want to treat it specially." said an executive. (note: What special means to Universal is open to interpretation, including whether that executive will even be there in 2004).

The same newspaper section as an interesting article on the Mondo Cane boxset and some historical perspective on the films.
Old 12-13-03, 10:08 AM

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't heard the La Dolce Vita/Paramount news.
Old 12-13-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: NY Times Article (12/14) - What delays some DVDs from being issued

Originally posted by ctyankee
The new Escape from New York SE was delayed over two years because the negative was missing. It was found in a "mismarked film can."
The article doesn't distinguish between the new SE and the initial bare-bones DVD. In fact, since MGM released the first one, as well as the SE, the comment seems more appropriate for the first disc. Either way, the article doesn't specifically say which one it's talking about.

One thing that bothered me about the article was this comment:

"Warner was, at first, a slow adapter; its early DVDs were disappointing in quantity, visual quality and bonus features."

I don't see how anyone could argue the validity of that statement. While Warner has certainly been on a tear lately, it has always been a consistently good DVD company. If it weren't for Warner, we might not even have the format. Yes, some of its initial DVDs were bare-bones, full-screen titles, but it was producing special-edition DVDs before half the studios even adopted the format. Calling it a "slow adapter" is ludicrous.
Old 12-13-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

La Dolce Vita is delayed by Koch-Lorber because Paramount sued them saying they own the rights. Paramount is doing readying their own release.
No wonder. . .well, I guess that means it will be coming out next year.
Old 12-13-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Blade Runner three disc special edition is not being released because Jerrry Perenchio has not given permission to release them. Perenchio got into the loop because the original Blade Runner went over budget causing ownership to change due to contract stipulations.
Now we know who to blame for the delay on this one.
Old 12-13-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: NY Times Article (12/14) - What delays some DVDs from being issued

Originally posted by lisadoris
Now we know who to blame for the delay on this one.
Remember awhile back I mentioned taking up a collection to either pay somebody off or charter a bus and pay them a visit? We now have a name.
Old 12-13-03, 02:50 PM
MrN

Gaslight, Goodbye Mr. Chips and Days and Wine of Roses will be released in January and February by Warner.
That last one is logical, what with Blake Edwards getting his lifetime Oscar.

La Dolce Vita is delayed by Koch-Lorber because Paramount sued them saying they own the rights.
Hope they get it resolved soon.

Harold Lloyd's silent films are not released because Lloyd's granddaughter will not sell or lease the rights.
I'd heard earlier this year its because no one wants to meet her asking price. I guess she's happy with the money she gets every so often from TCM.
Old 12-13-03, 07:11 PM

I hope Paramount do bring out La Dolce Vita - there transfers are usually very good and there extras are getting better and better - Sunset Boulvard and OUATITW testement to that.
Old 12-13-03, 10:07 PM
Banned

It's true a movie classic won't sell as much as a recent summer teen movie on dvd.
I bet if DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR? was released on the same day as DUCK SOUP, DUCK SOUP would get spanked.
Old 12-13-03, 10:16 PM

Nothing new per se but as to why more classic films have not made it to DVD per one executive "unless it is Casablanca or Citizen Kane, the studios will sell 100 times more copies of a bad action filmm made three years ago than they'll sell of a great film that they've dug out of the archive."
I can't tell you how much this statement just irritates the hell out of me....

In all seriousness, I know that this is a business and they must turn profits to their shareholders but...

They have a responsibility to the art and history of filmmaking... period. The great classics that aren't out on DVD... The African Queen, Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, etc.., etc... (there are so many...) should be given at least SOME priority.

Argggggg !!!

End Rant...
Old 12-13-03, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by SilverScreen

They have a responsibility to the art and history of filmmaking... period. The great classics that aren't out on DVD... The African Queen, Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, etc.., etc... (there are so many...) should be given at least SOME priority.
Too true!!
Old 12-14-03, 04:51 AM

Its a terrible truth that these gawd awfull teen sex comedies sell more than Some like it Hot for example - people really need to aquire some taste.
Old 12-14-03, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the complete article

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/movies/14FRED.html
Old 12-14-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In time all of those classics will be released. There surely is a market for it.
Old 12-14-03, 09:31 AM
Cool New Member

Why is she being a bitch about it? What's the real story here?
Old 12-14-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez

I bet if DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR? was released on the same day as DUCK SOUP, DUCK SOUP would get spanked.
Sad but true. But luckily dvd releases don't get "rated" like theatrical releases on their initial revenue. Since shelve life can be years, classics will almost always sell steadily and fluff will be nothing more than a flash in the pan and sooner or later end up in the $5.88 bin at Walmart.
Old 12-14-03, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by garolo
Sad but true. But luckily dvd releases don't get "rated" like theatrical releases on their initial revenue. Since shelve life can be years, classics will almost always sell steadily and fluff will be nothing more than a flash in the pan and sooner or later end up in the $5.88 bin at Walmart.
Not to say being able to buy classics at $6 is a bad thing I hope. The good news is I suspect a studio is able to reap more on a classic in long term (24+ months) than on a Dude, Where's My Car.