Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

So I just bought this dvd cabinet

So I just bought this dvd cabinet

Old 12-11-03, 03:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, bunkaroo!

crow121, as long as you're happy with it, nothing else matters, does it? Still, I don't think I'll be getting that cabinet now. Major drag
Old 12-11-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I have mine stacked in three sets of two, though one could stack them in two sets of three, which look nice in the Can-Am photos but would require a ladder for people shorter than 6' to comfortably use the top drawer of each stack.

Combined storage potential of the six cabinets is 4860 CDs, or 2160 DVDs, or any combination thereof.

I checked out the cabinets you bought. That's a good deal. The dimensions are the same as the Can-am's so I'm surprised that the snappers don't fit though. So what'd you have to pay for shipping?
I paid $560 for 2, including shipping. Each cabinet ended up being around $180, and shipping was $200 total (and would have been ~$180 for just one, I think). Part of the extra expense was the distance involved -- Los Angeles to Northern Vermont. I got the "delivery to the curb" option, which was much cheaper than "inside delivery." Then I gave the delivery driver an extra $20 to help me bring them in. So, $580 total. It would have been ~$900 for two Can-Am cabinets.

Snappers fit, but made it very difficult to open the drawers. If snappers work perfectly for you, I wouldn't be surprised if your drawers were just slightly taller than mine. For me, it's no big deal, since I have far more CDs than DVDs.

From the box they shipped in, I noticed they're available here, but for $100 more (each) than I paid.

Of course, there's also a dutch auction for 10 of them for $270 each here. Given that the most they've sold for in the past 3 months is $220, I doubt they'll get any takers. Apparently, Vmark is still working on their ebay savvy, but I can vouch for the fact that they were very helpful over email -- answering all my questions, quick responses, very pleasant.
Old 12-11-03, 02:28 PM

I have one of these in black. At the time I had around 450 titles, but they definitely didn't all fit, like bunkaroo mentioned in his post. I think I might have 450 in there now, by eliminating extra space on the shelves that I had left for new titles purchased. In the end I pulled my animation and TV titles out and put them on one of the two racks I was trying to replace.

I have noticed that the hinges are really sagging. This is partially caused by some poor design, as the holes marked for the hinges were too low for the plunger or lock mechanisms to make contact with the top of the unit. I ended up making new holes a little above the originals to compensate and raise the doors up, which may have weakened the sides. I also eventually used a Dremel to sand off the finger ridge/grip off the plunger on one door so that it would stop digging into whatever title it came in contact with when the door closed.

As it is I am moving next month, so I may invest in another style of unit, especially if this ones does not make the trip. I only bought this style with the closing doors because my wife wanted to not see the DVDs. Since they didn't all fit I failed on that count anyway. Now she doesn't even want them in the room with the TV! As I am being forced to relocate a spare bedroom I can pretty much get whatever style unit I want.
Old 01-12-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by stevevt
I paid $560 for 2, including shipping. Each cabinet ended up being around $180, and shipping was $200 total (and would have been ~$180 for just one, I think). Part of the extra expense was the distance involved -- Los Angeles to Northern Vermont. I got the "delivery to the curb" option, which was much cheaper than "inside delivery." Then I gave the delivery driver an extra $20 to help me bring them in. So, $580 total. It would have been ~$900 for two Can-Am cabinets.

Snappers fit, but made it very difficult to open the drawers. If snappers work perfectly for you, I wouldn't be surprised if your drawers were just slightly taller than mine. For me, it's no big deal, since I have far more CDs than DVDs.

From the box they shipped in, I noticed they're available here, but for $100 more (each) than I paid.

Of course, there's also a dutch auction for 10 of them for $270 each here. Given that the most they've sold for in the past 3 months is $220, I doubt they'll get any takers. Apparently, Vmark is still working on their ebay savvy, but I can vouch for the fact that they were very helpful over email -- answering all my questions, quick responses, very pleasant.
Has anyone else on the forum purchased a Vmark cabinet? I was pretty much set on picking up a can-am unit, but now I'm considering going with the Vmark due to the price difference.
Old 01-13-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Obey The D
Has anyone else on the forum purchased a Vmark cabinet? I was pretty much set on picking up a can-am unit, but now I'm considering going with the Vmark due to the price difference.
Those look similar to the cabinets that I use (from wherehouse music)... more like them than the CanAms .. at least in lock position... but mine do not have the aforementioned problem with fitting snappers... Works great, as a matter of fact, for about 95% of the collection.. really only the oversized boxes don't fit.
Old 01-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been thinking about which one of these I need to get for my living room (I have several racks that hold about 150 DVD's each and it is no longer feasible to keep adding this kind of rack due to space).

I have made the decision to build my own cabinet. I'm going to make it approximately 5' wide & 6 ' high with 7 shelves 9 inches apart (just big enough for a dvd and a finger to pull it out). I have the specific measurements drafted out but can't remember them currently. The way I figured it, it should hold 700-750 DVD's (depending on box set sizes) which gives me room to grow a little.

I'll be buying about $50 worth of wood and materials and I'll knock it out in a weekend.
Old 01-13-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have one of the CanAm cabinets also. I am very satisfied with it. I think it has a very classy look, takes up little space, and the ability to lock the cabinet is a great advantage over open shelving, imo. I've never had a problem with any DVD boxes not fitting. The drawers open and close smoothly. The drawers sit on very heavy duty metal sliders. There are no worries of weight of the contents every being a problem. To answer a previous question, there is almost ZERO wasted space. I would recommend you purchase a set of their drawer dividers. Keeps everything in straight, neat rows and keeps all the boxes upright, even if you don't have enough to fill an entire row. My only complaint is the cost. It was around $500 for me including the 3-drawer cabinet, dividers, and shipping ($100).
Old 01-13-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would really like to buy some of those Can-Am cabinets for my nearly 700 dvds. I just can't justify the cost being that I'm relatively poor and I could use that money to buy more dvds
Old 01-13-04, 10:26 AM
Banned

For now, I keep all ~275 dvds in boxes. I too don't like the Blockbuster look (thats only for books) so I'm still shopping for alternatives...
Old 02-05-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone looking into Can-Am's may want to consider the Vmark Inc. cabinets that stevevt mentioned. I went ahead and ordered two cabinets (2 drawer and 3 drawer) off of ebay from them. They have two styles of cabinets: a cd/vhs/dvd cabinet and a vhs/dvd cabinet. I went with the cd/vhs/dvd cabinet and have no problems with snappers fitting in them. Total including shipping for both w/ drawer dividers was around $600 (about $250 less than the can-ams). Overall, I'm very happy with them.