DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   DDD says Once Upon a Time in America Discontinued? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/334510-ddd-says-once-upon-time-america-discontinued.html)

ericc22 12-08-03 03:38 PM

DDD says Once Upon a Time in America Discontinued?

Greetings,

As part of their 20% sale, I ordered Once Upon a Time in America. It was cancelled on my order and when I called, DDD told me that it was discontinued. You can no longer order it from their site. Anyone else have this problem, or know anything about this? I have heard nothing about this DVD going OOP and it remains available. Warner still lists it on their site.

I've also searched DVDtalk forums and found nothing on this title.

Did DDD make a mistake? Or do they have early news?

All info is most appreciated!

Eric

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-08-03 03:42 PM

They said the same thing about Kino's Blue Angel. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I could be wrong, but I believe it's just that they aren't prepared to honor the discounted price on a few items.

marty888 12-08-03 03:50 PM

It's still showing as "backordered" on my otherwise-shipped order from last Tuesday - but doing a search on the site by title, director, etc. gets 0 results!

Curiouser and curiouser....

FilmFanSea 12-08-03 04:03 PM

I'm not sure what's going on here:

http://www.kazart.com/mec/queryDVDList2?id=27209

Warner Store

It seems to be unavailable in most places, and it's already going for $45 and up on Amazon Marketplace (with most of the sellers calling it a "rare, OOP edition." I have seen no discussion anywhere about this going OOP. It does appear that the UPC was changed from

085392002627 (released: 6/10/03)

to

085393190927 (released: 9/17/03)

Not sure if this represents different packaging or a change in contents of the set (regardless, neither seems to be available).

Very curious indeed.

sicklerice 12-08-03 04:12 PM

Dirt cheap on ebay still.

Not rare yet. Given the film, many will unload it after one viewing.

I love it, but many will not want to watch it twice.

JoeyOhhhh 12-08-03 05:22 PM

My store hasn't received any in a couple months, so it could be possible, but very unlikely.

Probably just on back order.

gutwrencher 12-08-03 05:35 PM

THIS says it's gone oop. they might be dropping the "Special Edition" and re-releasing it already.

DonnachaOne 12-08-03 05:46 PM

Intriguing!

Maybe they're coming out with a version that has an intermission on disc one

;)

FilmFanSea 12-08-03 08:26 PM

Mystery Solved.

This set is being re-released tomorrow with a different UPC, as part of a new WB promotion. Apparently the contents and layout of the set will be unchanged. The set with the old UPC has been discontinued (which is probably why DDD cancelled the order).

Brian

SilverScreen 12-08-03 09:00 PM

FYI....

I tried ordering "Pitch Black (unrated)" in my 20% off DDD order and I got the same "discontinued" message...

This may have to do with a re-release they are planning in conjunction with the new movie coming out this year, but I was wondering as well...

GatorDeb 12-08-03 09:18 PM

Beatles Anthology is discontinued also according to DDDVD.

d2cheer 12-09-03 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
They said the same thing about Kino's Blue Angel. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I could be wrong, but I believe it's just that they aren't prepared to honor the discounted price on a few items.
Way off base on them not wanting to honor the price, all you have to do is call them and the will straighten things out. If it is not in then the coupon would not have worked on that part of the order. Clearly stated on the quidelines for using the coupon.

axistolife 12-09-03 09:18 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me, i emailed them yesterday and no response yet, so ill see where it goes. But the coupon did say it was good for preorders, so there shouldnt be a problem.

Geofferson 12-09-03 10:03 AM

Glad to hear it's just a UPC change as I still have yet to pick this one up.

GatorDeb 12-09-03 10:28 AM

Originally posted by axistolife
I had the exact same thing happen to me, i emailed them yesterday and no response yet, so ill see where it goes. But the coupon did say it was good for preorders, so there shouldnt be a problem.
Actually the coupon said it was NOT good for preorders :)