Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Chance of Price Reduction on X Files Season Sets???

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance of a price reduction on the X File Season Sets????
Old 12-08-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I imagine that most season sets will see a decrease 2-3 years from now as their popularity wanes (i.e., those who want them have already bought them). I'd be surprised to see it drop below $60 though. Your best bet is eBay, most copies are just watched once and you can save big. I saw a TNG 1-7 set go for $300 which is crazy cheap.
Old 12-08-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
After season 9 comes out they will be offering some kind of discount I read. Like $20 off 2 seasons, $60 off 4. Something to that effect. And after looking on half.com at earlier seasons, I wish I had waited for some of mine. I am currently working through 6, I bought 7 when it came out, and I decided to wait on 8 until it is on half for around $50. So my vote is...check out half.com.
Old 12-08-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got tired of paying so much so I just bought S7 for $47.00 on Amazon (discs and packaging are very nice). I'm waiting for a similarly priced S8 on Amazon or Half.
Old 12-08-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There never seems to be any shortage of the sets 1-7 used for $50-$60 at the brick and mortar stores I frequent. Then you can check the condition before you buy. No shortage of used DVD stores in SF.
Old 12-08-03, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by kunert
There never seems to be any shortage of the sets 1-7 used for $50-$60 at the brick and mortar stores I frequent. Then you can check the condition before you buy. No shortage of used DVD stores in SF.
Which brick and mortar stores do you frequent? I have seasons 1-4 and I just got really tired of paying $100 for these sets. I think the quality of te seasons drop significantly after season 5....I can't justify paying that amount.

I'll have to check Amazon like the rest of you, even though I usually don't purchase used DVDs.
Old 12-08-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped buying after Season 3. They come out too fast to watch right away and are too expensive to keep picking up. I'll probably pick up the rest when a good deal comes up.
Old 12-08-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kunert
We don't all live in SF. If someone has a rating of 4.9 on Amazon with a fairly large number of ratings, I trust the description. That's never failed me.
Old 12-08-03, 06:14 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Becareful with the ones on half.com some of them are bootlegs.
Old 12-08-03, 06:38 PM
Banned

I've got all 8...and their just fantastic...cant wait to see all 9 sitting together...
Old 12-08-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by duz
Becareful with the ones on half.com some of them are bootlegs.
Before buying Season 7 from a seller on Amazon I emailed and asked if it was the standard R1 and not one of the Asian ones floating around. He said it was the real deal, I immediately bought it and it was kosher.
Old 12-08-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Don't know about a price reduction.

I believe that the high prices of the X-Files sets -- as opposed to other Fox TV products like Buffy and 24 -- are due to royalty agreements between the cast (and possibly Chris Carter) and Fox. As you may recall, there were some public contract disputes between David Duchovney and Fox over syndication and royalties. (In effect, Fox sold first syndication rights to its own FX cable network at a reduced rate.)

If this is the case, I wouldn't expect the prices to drop any time soon as long as there are fixed costs they have to cover.
Old 12-08-03, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Don't know about a price reduction.

I believe that the high prices of the X-Files sets -- as opposed to other Fox TV products like Buffy and 24 -- are due to royalty agreements between the cast (and possibly Chris Carter) and Fox. As you may recall, there were some public contract disputes between David Duchovney and Fox over syndication and royalties. (In effect, Fox sold first syndication rights to its own FX cable network at a reduced rate.)

If this is the case, I wouldn't expect the prices to drop any time soon as long as there are fixed costs they have to cover.
I think you're probably right, there has to be a reason for these ridiculous prices....I would even accept $60-$70 dollars for these sets, but $119?!?! I don't think so.

I have all the current Buffy seasons and will buy the 5th tomorrow, it'll be less than half the price of the X-Files seasons. I want season five of the X-Files, it's one of my favorites....but I don't know about 6-9.
Old 12-08-03, 07:33 PM

I've seen some good deals on half.com for the older seasons. That would be the way to go if you need to catch up on the seasons. I've bought mine the day they came out so far so it feels good to just need one more season.

doc
Old 12-09-03, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped buying these after season 5.

When these sets first started coming out, there was very little TV on DVD. The $150 seemed reasonable compared with the laserdiscs of old.

However, a few years down the road, TV on DVD is much more popular, resulting in lower cost sets. However, Fox still is trying to get $150 for these sets, while Buffy offers similar content for only $60!

I will not buy any more until Fox decides to price these more competitively. That won't be until all the sets are out for a while, I'm sure.
Old 12-09-03, 08:49 AM

Season 9 isn't even out yet. Once its been out for a while I wouldn't be surprised if they reduce the MSRP on 1-9 all at the same time. In fact, they'll probably wait till 4-6 weeks before Christmas or so and have ads in best buy, circuit city, etc showing the new prices on all 9 seasons.
Old 12-09-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib
We don't all live in SF.
I don't either. The original poster, whom I was addressing appears to.
If someone has a rating of 4.9 on Amazon with a fairly large number of ratings, I trust the description.
Agreed. I have no problem with that. But I'm not being facetious when I claim to see the sets regularly for $50-60 in nearly every smaller used music store in my neighborhood, i.e. Dimple, the Beat. They probably don't show up so often for those who live in areas where large chains like Wherehouse are the only source for used DVDs. YMMV. Peace.

Last edited by kunert; 12-09-03 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gatsby
I think you're probably right, there has to be a reason for these ridiculous prices....I would even accept $60-$70 dollars for these sets, but $119?!?! I don't think so.

I have all the current Buffy seasons and will buy the 5th tomorrow, it'll be less than half the price of the X-Files seasons. I want season five of the X-Files, it's one of my favorites....but I don't know about 6-9.
That's probably true. I really fell sorry for you X-Files and Star Trek :TNG & Deep Space 9 fans-that's crazy on how expensive they are. I like those series but not enough to buy;I'm a Buffy/Angel fan, so $35-$45 ain't bad at all. I guess we're spoiled with those prices, I was pissed I had to pay $50 for alias S1 for a Christmas gift.
Old 12-09-03, 06:15 PM
Banned

Feel not sorry for my...I consider $100-$120 for 22-24 episodes of a truly great show with deleted scenes, commentaries, featurettes, etc. to be worth it!
Old 12-09-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering what we paid for each episode when they released the VHS sets, the prices for these are not that bad at all. And each X Files VHS set were only a handful of episodes on three tapes, not any where near full seasons.
Old 12-10-03, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Feel not sorry for my...I consider $100-$120 for 22-24 episodes of a truly great show with deleted scenes, commentaries, featurettes, etc. to be worth it!
Exactly. About $20 for a 2 hour movie plus extras compared with $100-120 for about 20 hours of material plus extras. You do the math, it is a good way to spend the entertainment dollar.

It just happens that Buffy/Alias/etc. are better ways to spend the entertainment dollar.
Old 12-12-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amen QuiGonJish!

X-Files and Star Trek are well worth their price tags! I couldn't wait to dump $2500 on them! They are all so pretty, so shiny on the shelves...

They are... Precious.
Old 12-12-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by Gatsby
I think the quality of te seasons drop significantly after season 5....
Well that is where the quality soars on DVD... Anamorphic Widescreen. Absolutely beautiful. Season 5 was good, as well as 90% of season 6. Still working my way through that one.

Watched one where a giant dirt monster was killing people in a neighborhood because their houses weren't immaculate. ?!? How that ep. ever got out of the 'idea' phase I don't even know.
Old 12-12-03, 06:37 PM

X Files fans with multi region options available to them might be interested to note that they're offloading them in region 4 for about US$50. Eg.

http://www.atlanticdvd.com.au/index_...d=4749~content

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/product...0&AffID=600010

Postage costs will hurt though.
Old 12-12-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you wait a little while after the sets come out, you can get them pretty reasonably priced at places like ebay and half.com. I currently have 1-7, real not Asian bootlegs, and didn't pay over $40.00 for any of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.