ace in the hole, any chance for dvd?

Old 12-08-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ace in the hole, any chance for dvd?

this Billy Wilder movie was the inspiration for the simpsons epsiode where bart got stuck in the well. I haven't seen it yet, and was wondering if its a possiblilty for it to come out on dvd (or if its on vhs even) any time soon.
Old 12-08-03, 01:00 PM
Banned

my sources tell me there is a 78.3% chance of a DvD release in the next 9 months!
Old 12-08-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep an eye out for its alternate title "The Big Carnival". I'm not a huge fan of Billy Wilder, but this is one hell of a movie. There's not much else out there that can trump its cynicism.
Old 12-08-03, 01:51 PM

Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival/The Human Interest Story (1951) was made for Paramount, which also controls the DVD rights. A flop at the time of its release, it has since become a cult classic. I would say there's quite a bit of interest in this title (judged by the number of times it gets mentioned in online forums).

Thread at HTF

This article (from the 7/1/03 Seattle Times) says that a DVD release is "under consideration," but that's the only solid news I've heard about a potential release.

I would suggest writing Paramount & expressing interest:

Paramount Home Video
5555 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90038-3197
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.paramount.com/

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 12-08-03 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great film that has never seen the light of day on any home video medium. Paramount would be very wise in releasing this on DVD.
Old 12-08-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

does this movie get played sometimes on tcm or amc to become a cult classic, or do some retro theaters play it, for it to become a cult classic.
Old 12-08-03, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
does this movie get played sometimes on tcm or amc to become a cult classic, or do some retro theaters play it, for it to become a cult classic.
Its had a good 50 years to garner a reputation here and abroad so it became a cult classic the same way Harold and Maude or The Haunting have. Sure AMC (when they were cool) and TCM have helped sustain, but Ace in the Hole has a reputation created through years of screenings and goodwill.
Old 12-09-03, 07:38 PM

I would buy this one the day it came out. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Old 12-09-03, 08:50 PM

Agreed. An awesome flick. One of my favorite Kirk Douglas performances. Just amazing. I'd love to have a DVD of this. The movie is more relevant than ever.

I remember first seeing it on TNT (under the title Ace in The Hole) in the early 90s, a few years before Turner Classic Movies became the focus of old movies and TNT became a wrestling/sports/Clint Eastwood channel.
Old 12-10-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie really, really needs to be on DVD. I'd buy it in a second. I'd buy copies for all my friends. What more do you want from me, Hollywood? Release this already!
Old 12-10-03, 02:52 PM

Too bad Paramount owns it. That means it'll be $40 and not have any special features, maybe a menu if you're lucky.
Old 12-10-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by HKFlix
Too bad Paramount owns it. That means it'll be $40 and not have any special features, maybe a menu if you're lucky.
Not to go too much OT, but didn't Paramount's job on OUATITW get very good responses? Perhaps this could signal the beginning of better things to come? I don't know the entire story of Paramount's history with DVD releases, but forum posters have been very negative, so I'll conclude it isn't good. A disc I am looking at buying, Seconds, is from Paramount and it seems to have generally favorable reviews (content as well as presentation).

I have also read on another forum that Paramount is serious about doing a proper job for an upcoming release of "The President's Analyst", trying to secure all the music rights and restoring missing footage. Their efforts will be judged when and if this is actually released of course, but maybe they are starting to do a better job???
Old 03-08-04, 11:24 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I take it there's been no update on this? I just watched a grainy video copy of it that someone had taped off AMC and loved it. I tried e-mailing Paramount, but that address bounced and the website no longer gives one out.

I'd buy this in a second.
Old 03-09-04, 05:16 AM

I first heard about this movie ten years ago. I've waited ten years, but I'd rather not wait another! Here's hoping.
Old 03-09-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another for this gem.

(And another reason why I don't mind people snickering when I say I still use my VCR - I have my commercial-free video taped from cable)
Old 03-09-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

L.A. Showing

For anyone in L.A., i saw that American Cinematheque is running "Ace in the Hole" on Friday March 26 at 7:30pm as part of their Not On Video film festival. Also, they will be playing a Howard Hawks double feature of "The Crowd Roars" and "Tiger Shark" on the same day at 9:30, Tyrone Power in "Nightmare Alley" on Saturday March 27th at 5pm, Otto Preminger's "Bunny Lake is Missing" and Cassavettes "Too Late Blues" as a double feature at 7:30, and 2 Anthony Perkins/Tuesday Weld movies, "Play It As It Lays" and "Pretty Poison" on Sunday March 28th. Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 03-10-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Between Ace in the Hole, Spirit of St Louis, and the desperately needed re-release of Double Indemnity, there's still a few Billy Wilder releases to do.

I'd love to see some of the German stuff he wrote.