DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Gone with the Wind SPECIAL EDITION? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/334328-gone-wind-special-edition.html)

Seeker 12-07-03 07:59 PM

Gone with the Wind SPECIAL EDITION?

I have almost every AFI top 100 movie. And I'll be getting Schindler's List on March 9th.

BUT, amazingly missing from my collection is Gone with the Wind - love the movie, but so much so, that I have NOT bought the current version, thinking that an SE MUST come out - containing the movie, the making of, etc. etc. etc.

But no. Still, the only version is the current "movie only" version.

Is there any news on something better, or should I finally capitulate and just get this one?

DVD Josh 12-07-03 09:00 PM

Well, there's a making of featurette out there (I believe only on VHS - Making of a Legend) that is pretty comprehensive. There really could be very few else. Actors / producers are dead. Perhaps a feature on how they cleaned up the print, history of the movie, history of Margaret Mitchell. Something on technicolor. Deleted scenes (including the rumored one where Ashley and Scarlet get together). I guess there could be, but honestly, I think we are stuck with the one they have.

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-07-03 09:07 PM

just git it! Da current dVd is OK and u can doubledip if u truly luv da film!

DVD Josh 12-07-03 09:09 PM

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
just git it! Da current dVd is OK and u can doubledip if u truly luv da film!
Stop acting like a total idiot in every thread you post in. If you are trying to be funny, you are failing miserably.

Seeker 12-07-03 09:13 PM

i'm just curious whether or not there MIGHT be an SE coming - seems like a movie of this caliber would get one.

DVD Josh 12-07-03 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Seeker
i'm just curious whether or not there MIGHT be an SE coming - seems like a movie of this caliber would get one.
The thing is Seek, there is already a pretty comprehensive making of (the aforementioned VHS). If you were to see it, you'd see that there's not much else to do with the movie. In fact, if there ever WERE a SE, I would put money on the special features simply being the VHS, remastered and broken up into sections. BTW - if you are a big fan of the movie, I highly suggest the Making of. It's 2+ hours and incredibly in depth.

Seeker 12-07-03 10:02 PM

yeh - i have the making of on vhs tape (taped off of tv)

i was sort of hoping to see the movie and that on dvd.

kevin75 12-07-03 10:04 PM

the documentary would be good to have on dvd, even if it wasn't on an SE disc. i remember seeing it in 1989 when TBS was showing the movie. i even recorded it and may still have it somewhere. it was really a good doc.

Drexl 12-07-03 10:20 PM

I would guess that even if there weren't any extras available other than the making-of, this would be a candidate for being cleaned up like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, et al.

celluloidwisdom 12-07-03 11:28 PM

The deluxe CE has nice physical extras -- a theatrical poster (27"x40" reproduction), lobby cards (8 original edition prints), a senitype image, etc.

Maybe go with that one...

DonnachaOne 12-07-03 11:46 PM

For those who said there's already a comprehensive documentary - there could still be an SE of GWTW, much like the Citizen Kane set, with the film on one disc and the doc on the other.

bjackson 12-07-03 11:46 PM

Warner Home Video in France just released a 2-disc collector's edition. I believe the bonus disc actually contains the "Making of a Legend" documentary, along with documentaries on Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...8.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Tarnower 12-08-03 06:25 AM

Do a "Search" in this forum. Seems I remember a recent thread addressing this same issue. And I also remember reading a chat transcript with Warners reps that there will be a "GWTW" Special Edition coming September 2004. That would be the 65th Anniversary of the picture. Personally, I'd wait to buy it till then.

EPKJ 12-08-03 09:37 AM

I heard the same about a SE in 2004. I am waiting for it.

bishop2knight 12-08-03 09:49 AM

I bought my SwtW DVD at Wal*Mart for a mere $9.44. For that, I'm willing to double dip if the SE proves worthy (if there ever is one).

Jason Bovberg 12-08-03 12:01 PM

Originally posted by James W. Powell
SwtW
I'm afraid to ask what's being done "with the Wind" in this acronym.

randyba 12-08-03 02:31 PM

I am waiting for GWTW and Ben Hur to be re-released as Warner 2 disc SE.

For those who have Ben Hur, is it a flipper?

bboisvert 12-08-03 02:59 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Well, there's a making of featurette out there (I believe only on VHS - Making of a Legend) that is pretty comprehensive.
On laserdisc too.

And, yes, it's VERY compreshensive. In fact, it has a running time longer than 2 hours.

I'm pretty surprised that this has not been paired with the film on DVD at some point. Warner has the rights to the documentary now too, right?

MisterHowie 12-08-03 04:43 PM

Originally posted by randyba
I am waiting for GWTW and Ben Hur to be re-released as Warner 2 disc SE.

For those who have Ben Hur, is it a flipper?

Unfortunately, yes. But it's a good disc otherwise.

cokeguy 12-08-03 07:53 PM

Originally posted by MisterHowie
Unfortunately, yes. But it's a good disc otherwise.
The film is over three and a half hours. I think that the fact that it is a flipper is acceptable. Plus, it has extras and a damn fine picture.

Dan

DVD Josh 12-08-03 07:58 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
On laserdisc too.

And, yes, it's VERY compreshensive. In fact, it has a running time longer than 2 hours.

Actually, it's 124 minutes (2 hours, like I said). Normally I wouldn't nitpick, but you did, so I just had to jump back in :)

BlackBeauty92 12-08-03 08:00 PM

yeah....

Ben-Hur 2-disc & Gone With The Wind 2-disc would be GREAT!

Cornelius1047 12-09-03 01:11 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Actually, it's 124 minutes (2 hours, like I said). Normally I wouldn't nitpick, but you did, so I just had to jump back in :)
124 minutes is 4 minutes longer than 2 hours. Normally I wouldn't nitpick, but bboisver is technically right. :p

K

talemyn 12-09-03 02:09 AM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
124 minutes is 4 minutes longer than 2 hours. Normally I wouldn't nitpick, but bboisver is technically right. :p

K

NITPICKING!!! SWEET!!!!!!! :D Let me play, too!

Let's see . . . well, credits take about four minutes, so, technically, the movie is probably right at 2 hours exactly.

(How was that? Did I do good?)

:D

randyba 12-09-03 01:03 PM

The film is over three and a half hours. I think that the fact that it is a flipper is acceptable. Plus, it has extras and a damn fine picture.
I don't mind the fact that it is not on one side, I would rather it be on two discs so i could change the disc with my remote rather than getting out of my recliner to flip the disc. Just lazy on my part.