Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I thought Jackson said no more DVD releases? (LOTR related)

Community
Search

I thought Jackson said no more DVD releases? (LOTR related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, Jackson is far from showing hes money hungry. Im sure if he did want the DVDs rereleased, he would REALLY make it worthwhile for the fans.

BTW. Apparently Jackson, McKellen, and New Line are all on board for the Hobbit, but the estate is hesitent on selling the rights.
Old 12-08-03, 01:26 AM
Banned

I only want the Return Of The King Extended Edition. I have no interest in any other releases.
Old 12-08-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
Let's wait and see what happens before replacing the "s" in "Jackson" with a "$."
Yeah, I say we go with a provisional "Ja˘kson" until we learn otherwise.
Old 12-08-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's NO WAY Jackson or NewLine would dare pull a "Buy the whole new boxset or never get ROTK:EE! Do you know how many fans would bail on this kind of money grubbing affair? I am a big fan of the LOTR's trilogy but if they did pulled something like that I would blow Jackson & Newline off forever!

I think Jackson is VERY much a fan himself and that would be what most prevents any type of take it or leave it proposition!
Old 12-08-03, 04:17 AM
Banned

Unfortunately, most people would buy it. Fans are fanatical.
Old 12-08-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Neitzl
I'm not really too bothered about this. I'd buy anything that deals with LOTR, so I guess I'm a fanboy of these movies. What I would like is if all three are presented as one long film. No opening credits for parts II and III, no titles saying FOTR, TTT, or ROTK. I dunno, I'll buy a new gift set.
That is an interesting idea... Would the SAG or MPAA have issues with no closing credits?
Old 12-08-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm only buying LOTR - ROTK:EE and that's it. I feel well supplied with good a/v quality and extras. There's no need to purchase anything else for me.
Old 12-08-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that it has been mentioned a number of times before that there is a planned boxed set release that is nothing more than the 3 EE's in a box. Additionally, I've heard at least once (can't remember if it was a rumor or an actual quote), that the box, by itself (i.e., without any DVD's) will be made available for those who have purchased the the DVD's as they have come out.

I think that deserves a removal of the $ . . .
Old 12-08-03, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would the SAG or MPAA have issues with no closing credits?
I like the idea too. WRT credit just run them all at the end.
Old 12-08-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
I think that it has been mentioned a number of times before that there is a planned boxed set release that is nothing more than the 3 EE's in a box. Additionally, I've heard at least once (can't remember if it was a rumor or an actual quote), that the box, by itself (i.e., without any DVD's) will be made available for those who have purchased the the DVD's as they have come out.

I think that deserves a removal of the $ . . .

Hoping that my exsisting DVDs survived the fire, I'll drop some extra bones just for a box to put them all in.
Old 12-08-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To all those wishing for one long film:

Count the DVDs required for this, boys. About 5 for the EE, right? What's the difference between popping in the next film DVD or the next disc of "one" film?
Old 12-08-03, 10:07 AM

I might be stepping in over my head here as I am not a rabid LOTR fan like most here, but I distinctly remember when the original plans for the DVD releases were announced they said that each title would get the barebones release, the EE release, and then once all the films and DVDs were released, Jackson would issue an edition of all of the films seamlessly edited into one long film. I don't think it would be much different from watching the three EE editions back to back except that there wouldn't be opening and closing credits to interrupt the flow and maybe the "previously on LOTR" parts would be trimmed from the beginnings of the films.

I wish I could find a source for that info, but it was a couple of years ago.
Old 12-08-03, 10:10 AM

Count the DVDs required for this, boys. About 5 for the EE, right? What's the difference between popping in the next film DVD or the next disc of "one" film?
Continuity aka no breaks for credits/opening titles. Something that was mentioned (although I don't think seriously) in the PJ commetary on TT was also a cut of the film in chronological order. So instead of opening TT w/ the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog it would come closer to when it happened in FotR. Similarly the flashback sequences w/ Aragorn in TT would be put back into FotR before the fellowship left Rivendale. That would probably be something I'd be willing to shell out the money for.
Old 12-08-03, 11:47 AM

"when the original plans for the DVD releases were announced they said that each title would get the barebones release, the EE release, and then once all the films and DVDs were released, Jackson would issue an edition of all of the films seamlessly edited into one long film"

yeah, this is discussed again in the TTT commentary. i have a feeling PJ will basically have rule of the roost after ROTK releases, and this may actually happen. it sounds like he'd shuffle scenes around, and maybe even film more material to "round out" the behemoth.

any way you cut it, PJ isn't trying to screw fans over. think about how amazing the trilogy has turned out to be. i'm not a huge LOTR fan in general, but i can appreciate the way the crew created a superior series of films, and then went on to create the best DVDs yet released. whatever he does with the trilogy in the future will likely be another revelation.
Old 12-08-03, 12:48 PM
dhm

I really done think this is going to be much more than we are getting now.

Only think I could think of is a Huge Trilogy Gift set with all figurines that would include both EE cuts and theatrical.
Old 12-08-03, 12:48 PM
Banned

I would most certainly buy a boxset of the films in chronological order with no credits until the very end of ROTK...
Old 12-08-03, 12:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by nemein
Continuity aka no breaks for credits/opening titles. Something that was mentioned (although I don't think seriously) in the PJ commetary on TT was also a cut of the film in chronological order. So instead of opening TT w/ the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog it would come closer to when it happened in FotR. Similarly the flashback sequences w/ Aragorn in TT would be put back into FotR before the fellowship left Rivendale. That would probably be something I'd be willing to shell out the money for.
I'd like to see a cut that's more true to the book, not only in terms of not having the Rivendell flashbacks, but also just not having the cross-cutting between what's going on with Frodo and what's going on with everyone else. That would be pretty fascinating I think, to see it all unfold in the same manner that it did in the book.
Old 12-08-03, 01:02 PM
Banned

like i have said anyone would be foolish not to triple dip on these classic films. At least he is releasing them unlike Lucas and his Star Guerras!
Old 12-08-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
like i have said anyone would be foolish not to triple dip on these classic films. At least he is releasing them unlike Lucas and his Star Guerras!
Wow . . . it took all the way 'til page 2 before we got a slam on Lucas' DVD releasing strategies . . . that may be a record . . .

Honestly, though . . . would a single, huge, multi-disc, LOTR movie be worthwhile? It's really not very practical . . .
Old 12-08-03, 02:15 PM

It's really not very practical . . .
the concept of practical doesn't apply to fan[atic]s Considering PJ is probably one of the biggest he may do it just for the hell of it.
Old 12-08-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll buy it!
Old 12-08-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its official. From now on Peter Jackson's name will require the '$' instead of the 's'.

Jack$on
Old 12-08-03, 04:15 PM

I say squeeze all 3 movies onto one DVD18 and remove the ability to search by time/chapter/FF/RR!
Old 12-08-03, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

I would like to see the DVD release were the entire jouney happens in real time.
Old 12-08-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This could be interesting. I can't see them besting the EEs in terms of extras and according to their philosophy for the current LOTR DVDs, there shouldn't be any overlapping material.

So does this mean they'll be filming extra bits and scenes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.