DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Ebert Commentaries? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/334036-ebert-commentaries.html)

theprophe 12-06-03 12:55 AM

Ebert Commentaries?

Hi, now that i live in a former east bloc country, everytime i return to Canada for a vacation I buy dvds's so when i go back to the czech republic i have some good stuff to watch. What im looking for is Ebert Commentaries, since i really respect what he has to say, is there a list anywhere showing which dvd's he's commented on?

Quake1028 12-06-03 12:57 AM

Citizen Kane
Dark City

These are the only ones I know of.

Al Padrino 12-06-03 12:59 AM

He has one on Casablanca SE if I'm not mistaken.

D-Ball 12-06-03 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Al Padrino
He has one on Casablanca SE if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, he does give a commentary on that dvd. These three are the only ones I know of.

theprophe 12-06-03 01:05 AM

i thought he did more, oh well, at least it will be easy on the pocketbook, and i can save for next time :) thanks

The Nature Boy 12-06-03 02:19 AM

Originally posted by theprophe
i thought he did more, oh well, at least it will be easy on the pocketbook, and i can save for next time :) thanks
I have a purely unsubstantiated hunch he did more in the Laserdisc days that didn't make the studio releases. I'd also suspect he'll be large and in charge on the "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" release.

couch21 12-06-03 03:16 AM

I own the Casablanca SE DVD and can confirm the Ebert commentary is extremely entertaining and insightful. Note, however, that it's not really technical as much as it is background stories about the production, actors and studio conflicts. A film student would probably be disappointed but the commentary is impressive because Ebert is a wonderful speaker who picks the right topics to discuss without sounding dry or overwhelming.

If you are looking for a more in-depth, frame-by-frame commentary by Ebert then Citizen Kane SE will do. Unfortunately, he doesn't have many other discs that bear his commentary tracks, so you have slim pickings (which might be a good thing).

FilmFanSea 12-06-03 04:44 AM

Ebert Commentaries on current DVDs (as stated above):

Casablanca SE (Curtiz/Warner)
Citizen Kane SE (Welles/Warner)
Dark City (Proyas/New Line Platinum)

Forthcoming:

Floating Weeds (Ozu/Criterion)--rumored to be coming in March

I also would be surprised if he didn't record one for the eventual DVD release of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Criterion??)

MaudlinHarold 12-06-03 09:12 AM

He also does a video introduction on Decalogue

Josh Z 12-06-03 01:06 PM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I have a purely unsubstantiated hunch he did more in the Laserdisc days that didn't make the studio releases.
Nope, the first commentary Ebert ever recorded was for the Dark City DVD (which does also appear on the DTS laserdisc, but not the Dolby Digital laserdisc).

Flave 12-06-03 06:33 PM

BTW, as an aside and FWIW, I think Ebert's commentary on Dark City is probably the best I have ever heard. Very informative and entertaining along with a good delivery -- what more can you say about a commentary?

Also happens to be one of my favourite movies.

metaridley 12-06-03 06:41 PM

I have yet to hear my Ebert "Dark City" commentary. But I'd like to get around to it eventually!

MurraySiskind 12-06-03 09:13 PM

Just wanted to agree that the Dark City commentary is wonderful. Its insightful, educational and entertaining.

johnglad 12-06-03 11:39 PM

Looks like I have a real reason to re-visit Dark City. Haven't seen it in years, but have always had the dvd. I love re-visiting movies with the commentary on. Great fun.
The new Alien and Aliens (Alien Quadrilogy versions) commentaries are awesome.

scroll2b 12-07-03 01:16 AM

Great to hear about the Aliens commentary being so good! James Cameron rules!!!!