Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ever buy a DVD cuz u feel you should like it cuz u "have such good taste" in films?

Ever buy a DVD cuz u feel you should like it cuz u "have such good taste" in films?

Old 12-05-03, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Yancy
You people are all insane. I buy plenty of movies that I haven't seen - PLENTY - but always because they have a certain reputation. And I, for one, have yet to come upon a movie with a great reputation that I haven't at least found interesting and worthwhile. For someone to be bored by "Casablanca" or "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"... I just can't imagine.

But man, I LOVE movies. And I LOVE the feeling of buying a "blind buy" and then watching it months later... and loving it! IT's like seeing a movie in the theater and being blown away... But you already own it!

Yes, I'm a sick man, but I don't own "Shawshank Redeption," and I never will... Or "Top Gun"...
I love movies too. And I can imagine how good it feels to buy a movie you haven't seen, watch it, and then enjoy it. However, you're just lucky, my friend. Eventually, sometime, someday, your good luck with blind buys will run out.

And just because I like spending my money on things I enjoy as opposed to gambling it away on something I might regret having in my collection, that doesn't make me or anybody else insane.
Old 12-05-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does renting count? cause im renting gigli even though it is probably really bad.
Old 12-05-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I'm a sick man, but I don't own "Shawshank Redeption," and I never will... Or "Top Gun"...
                                            /|\
You misspelled "because" ____ |
Old 12-05-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never bought, and I will never buy, something I expect to dislike simply for it's prestige. On the other hand, I do catch myself sometimes thinking about balancing my purchases so that for every Blown Away and Wide Sargasso Sea I get, I try to pick up something like Z or For All Mankind.

All of that stuff interests me, for various reasons, and I intend to get it all at some time in the future, but some of it looks better on a list than others, and that factors in, at least to a certain degree.
Old 12-05-03, 11:37 PM

I only have done this with a couple. First was Chasing Amy. Most people rave about Kevin Smith (he may be a great director as I haven't had the chance to check out his other films.) I thorougly disliked this movie. I still have it but wouldn't mind unloading it. The other was (let me put on my Asbestos suit) was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC. While it may be an excellent DVD I really didn't care for the movie. Could simply be the fact that drug culture doesn't interest me. Only thing I liked about the movie was Johnny Dep and Del Toro. They did an excellent job but the story was just not there for me.

Edit-----------

Did not buy Chasing Amy thinking I'd dislike it. Fear and Loathing on the other hand I did buy with a questionable attitude since I pretty much knew what it was about. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
Old 12-05-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I admit, when I'm buying blind buys, I'll typically choose the one that looks more "enriching".
Old 12-05-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by whynotsmile
I really was bored to death by Casablanca, but I saw it with horrible viewing conditions. I was in a school desk, the tv was small and far away and it was on crappy vhs. And its hard to care about nazi's when you gotta make a doo during the last 25 minutes.

But I bought the SE dvd anyway.Even if i still don't like it, its a historical film and i'll enjoy keeping it in my library as wella s watching the extras. I look foward to watching it again sometime.
Were you in my class or something? That's exactly what it was like for me when we watched the movie in class last year. The teacher would just show classic movies for no real reason and this was one of them. Of course, I was near the back of the class and the TV was one of those TV/VCR combos. I didn't get much out of it because of those things and because most of the class wasn't making it hard to pay any attention.

I ended up buying it just because it sounded like quite a stacked DVD and I thought things would be different under different viewing conditions. Still haven't watched it, though. Heh.

As for Citizen Kane, I saw the movie in the aforementioned class and really liked it. I was probably the only one who actually liked it or paid real attention to it all the way through, but I was able to appreciate all of its innovative aspects, as well as the influence it's had on pop culture since. The DVD is loaded, too, and when it was part of a 2-for-$25 BB special, I quickly grabbed it.
Old 12-06-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You people are all insane. I buy plenty of movies that I haven't seen - PLENTY - but always because they have a certain reputation. And I, for one, have yet to come upon a movie with a great reputation that I haven't at least found interesting and worthwhile. For someone to be bored by "Casablanca" or "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"... I just can't imagine.

But man, I LOVE movies. And I LOVE the feeling of buying a "blind buy" and then watching it months later... and loving it! IT's like seeing a movie in the theater and being blown away... But you already own it!

Why won't you ever own Shawshank? Waiting for the SE? Doesn't sound like it.....
Old 12-06-03, 04:54 PM
Defunct Account

Re: Ever buy a DVD cuz u feel you should like it cuz u "have such good taste" in films?

Originally posted by sicklerice
I for one am frequently tempted to buy stuff that I know I'll hate, just because I know that I "should" enjoy such fine films....
I have never bought a film that "I know I'll hate." What's the point? I have bought some blind buys that I thought I'd like that turned out to be stinkers, and I've bought movies that my wife wants that I know I won't be watching, but that's as close as I've ever come.

Why would you buy something you didn't like? Who would you be trying to impress?

-Videophile
Old 12-06-03, 05:13 PM
Banned

Not really...I buy a movie if I like it or looks interesting or has a director or cast member I enjoy watching...
Old 12-06-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought Whale Rider and was bored to tears. I found merit in the quality of the production and performances, but I kept waiting for something interesting to happen.

There are two blind buys that absolutely disgusted me after I finished watching them: Phantasm and The Eye.
Old 12-07-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah.
I just watched Sahara (Bogart) last night that i got from CH.
i wanted to watch it so i could sell it off and clear off the shelf space, but i ended up loving the movie and now i'm undecided if i want to get rid of it or not.
and unlike 'blind buying' choices at the movie theater, if the dvd turns out to not tickle my fancy, i can always unload it and recoup a little of what i outlaid.

when you are talking about "classic films" and films that have and maintain a reputation of quality among film buffs and scholars, the odds are you can easily sell it off if you don't 'get it'.
Grand Illusion
Diary Of A Chambermaid
That Obscure Object Of Desire
are a few films that have film school cachet but that personally didn't make me want to watch again anytime soon (although i have been thinking of Grand Illusion more and more with the passage of time- someday i will probably pick it up again).

i just blind ordered the Fassbinder BRD trilogy based on a few raves, the premise of the films, and the packaging.
who knows...i could hate 'em,
but i'm looking forward to checking them out.

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-07-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-07-03, 03:48 AM

buying a dvd just to look like you have good taste is extremely dumb. I buy what I feel I will like or like already.
Old 12-07-03, 08:09 AM

I buy what I like and that's it. &nbsp No amount of user reviews, AFI top 100's or anything else will make buy something that I don't like.
Old 12-07-03, 09:20 AM

90% of people who took a bad film class in HS or as a college Freshman end up watching Casablanca on a VCR cart.
Old 12-07-03, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Rat Faced Killa
buying a dvd just to look like you have good taste is extremely dumb. I buy what I feel I will like or like already.
It's not to "look" like you have good taste. The idea is that many people try to convince themselves about their good taste.

I'm still trying convince myself that I should want to see IKIRU.

I'm sure it's every bit the masterpiece that others think it is. Deep down, I just don't think it's a sicklerice-kinda-film.
Old 12-07-03, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by sicklerice
It's not to "look" like you have good taste. The idea is that many people try to convince themselves about their good taste.
oh. but isnt that equally as foolish?
Old 12-07-03, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Rat Faced Killa
oh. but isnt that equally as foolish?
I think trying to convince others is alot more stupid.
Old 12-07-03, 11:39 AM
Banned

yeah i bot da orphic trilogee cuz i wanted 2 look smart but it wuz 1 of thee worst film i have ever scene so i sold it
Old 12-07-03, 02:42 PM
Cool New Member

Orgazmo
Old 12-07-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely not. In some people's mind I probably have terrible taste in movies (about 40% are "comedies). I watch mostly mainstream movies and don't like artsy stuff or most foreign films. I don't really care what others think of my collection. I watch and buy what I like.

I did buy some titles (blind buys) of films that were well liked by people here (i.e. Sweet Hereafter) that after seeing I thought were boring and quickly sold. But I bought them thinking I'd like them.