WBs Popular (season 1) to DVD

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe this news has come. I never thought it was possible as this show has virtually no following, was completely ignored while on the air, and was saturated from beginning to end with copywrited pop songs. Hope I'm not the only fan around here!

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/2004tv.html

Also making its DVD debut is "Popular", the one-hour dramedy that ran for two seasons (1999-2001) on the WB. The first season will street in July.

Kennedy High is the setting and the student body is separated into two classes: the popular and the unpopular. Leslie Bibb stars as Brooke McQueen, head cheerleader and most popular girl in school. Carly Pope is Sam McPherson, of the unpopular type. When their parents marry, the girls have to deal with each other in addition to a variety of high school issues.
Old 12-03-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be picking it up. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-03-03, 08:53 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Holy shiznit! I am so excited for this. One of the most underrated, clever shows!
Old 02-08-04, 03:56 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1084

Presenting the complete first season of Popular, a 6-disc DVD set from Buena Vista Home Entertainment and Touchstone Television. Who's hot? Who's not? The popular ones, the unpopular ones, the geeks; Kennedy High has them all, and they're squaring off against each other.

On the popular side there's Brooke McQueen, a Barbie doll prototype, the head cheerleader with Nicole her devilish best friend. Then there's her boyfriend, Josh Ford, star of the football team; Mary Cherry, the multi-millionaire Texan girl, and Sugar Daddy.

On the unpopular side, there's Sam McPherson, the girl who is always looking for justice; Harrison, the not-so-hot boy; Carmen Ferrara, the heavy girl with the warm heart and Lily, the confused girl with the boyish look.

Brooke and Sam, enemies by nature, have to deal with their parents' marriage and school problems. Bonus materials for Popular - Season 1 include Audio Commentaries, Outtakes, Behind-The-Scenes and Making-Of featurette, a "Where Are They Now?" retrospective, and more. Bonus materials are subject to change.

The 22 episodes from the first season are all here, including the season-ending show which mocked over a half-dozen "sweeps stunts" which are often seen during the "Sweeps" periods. That one will be a can't-miss! Look for this to hit home at a suggested retail price of $59.99, on July 20th. Stay tuned for cover art to be posted later on.
Old 02-08-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's awesome! I thought Popular was a great show, and Carly Pope gets in my book. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Old 02-08-04, 06:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I may have to get this one. I loved the first season of this show, but was disappointed with the uneven, often over-the-top second season. Still, I wish this show would've lasted a bit longer.
Old 02-08-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One my guilty pleasures...I guess i will be buying this
Old 02-09-04, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Jonny2k1
That's awesome! I thought Popular was a great show, and Carly Pope gets in my book. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Have you noticed how much she looks like Gina Gershon?
Old 02-09-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too cool! Loved this show, and was very sad to see it end. Wish the last ep aired wasn't such a cliffhanger - maybe we'll get some closure when they do season 2. Will definitely get the dvds.
Old 04-07-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Release date for Popular - Season 1 has been pushed back to September 21st.
Old 04-07-04, 08:31 PM

That sucksI can't wait for this one to come out.

Unless they already had something filmed I doubt there will be any added closure unless its just a script.
Old 04-07-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mary Cherry RULED!

Can't wait for this'n!
Old 06-09-04, 05:51 PM

Amazon has added the artwork for those who haven't seen it yet... http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

it's been floating around for a while now but I was hoping it was a fake because I hate how sloppy the chalkboard writing looks...
Old 06-09-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved this show and can't wait... i hate that they pushed teh date from july 22 til september 21st (thats too long)...

But Im curious, does anyone know which episodes are getting commentaires? I've been hearing the first two, the sleepover episode, the christmas episode, and the season finale, but the forum i read that on is only about 40% reliable.
Old 06-10-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show was awesome.

I cannot believe that fine ass bitch chick married Melissa Etheridge (sp)....if she wanted to marry someone why not say...the hottest woman alive: Catherine Bell?
Old 06-10-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved season one! Miss Glass, Sir! Mary Cherry was hilarious. Seems like the writers tried to be too serious in season two and failed.

I think it's cool Tammy Lynn Michaels married a rock and roll chick!!
Old 06-10-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this show something like Freaks & Geeks theme-wise? Looking it up on TVTome, I seem to get that impression. If so, I may have to check this out.
Old 06-10-04, 12:20 PM

Surprising, great news! I liked both seasons, but was always disappointed that they never resolved the season-ending cliffhanger.
Old 06-10-04, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by matome
Is this show something like Freaks & Geeks theme-wise? Looking it up on TVTome, I seem to get that impression. If so, I may have to check this out.
Both take place in HS... and I haven't seen much of F&G but I get the impression there's not a whole lot in common... Popular was campy, unrealistic, mean-spirited, and the 'unpopular' characters were usually more awful and unreasonable than the 'popular' characters. The show also shifted gears pretty often, from drama with a little bit of comedy to comedy with a little bit of drama, flip flopping between episodes with no warning. Not to say it was a bad show- it's my favorite TV show ever- but I think it appeals to certain tastes and you have to be willing to laugh with or at it a good portion of the time. By the last episode of season 1 the show had finally gone all-out camp (including a musical number and a teacher being eaten alive by starved cats) but according to a cast member the WB HATED the camp stuff and the last episode especially (it only ever aired one time) and insisted it go back and be something like Dawson's Creek, leading to the bad dramatic decisions for season 2.
Old 06-11-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really dug this show & Zoe, Duncan, Jack & Jane when they were on. Definitely got dissappointed by there cancellation. Not too sure if I'll pick Popular up or not though. Depends on the price and what mood I'm in. Plus, I think 21 Jump Street is coming out on the same day, so that gets first pick for me.
Old 06-11-04, 07:49 PM

Not to sound ungreatful but I'm so not looking forward to all the musical changes that are destined to be taking place here. Everyone says that about shows but this one especially relied on the pop music that got played, and season 2 had a number of episodes that involved lip-synching from the cast and even an episode that revolved around the 80's hit "True", so I don't know how they'll get around all that.

I found a lot of great songs on this show, like "Inside" by Moby and "Smile" by Olive. Oh and the entire Dido "No Angel" album.
Old 06-11-04, 08:26 PM

Not to sound ungreatful but I'm so not looking forward to all the musical changes that are destined to be taking place here. Everyone says that about shows but this one especially relied on the pop music that got played, and season 2 had a number of episodes that involved lip-synching from the cast and even an episode that revolved around the 80's hit "True", so I don't know how they'll get around all that.
I actually heard that Buena Vista has gotten most of the music cleared if not all. But the bad news is that the set might go from $59.99 to $64.99 due to the extra $$ with the music.
Old 06-11-04, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by critterdvd
I actually heard that Buena Vista has gotten most of the music cleared if not all. But the bad news is that the set might go from $59.99 to $64.99 due to the extra $$ with the music.
I HOPE that is true, and goes with what I was saying about this show in particular suffering with music changes... I'd pay any amount extra for that...
Where are you hearing anything about this set, even rumors?
Old 06-12-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by critterdvd
If it's priced anywhere near that, I definitely will not be picking this up.

I don't even want to get started about the extra money for the music rights bs.
Old 06-13-04, 01:05 AM

If it's priced anywhere near that, I definitely will not be picking this up.
The $64.99 is the MSRP, It will probably be like $43.99 at most stores (or cheaper).

I've read about the music rights in an issue of Entertainment Weekly about 5/6 weeks ago actually... they had an article about how alot TV-shows-on-DVD have to either a) change the music for a cheaper price or b) raise the prices to incorporate the original music. Popular was just noted towards the middle, but the article used Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Freeks and Geeks, Smallville, and Gilmore Girls as examples. The article also said the the eventual release of "The O.C. Season 1" will either be in the $70 (msrp) range, or suffer ALOT of music changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.