Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD news like this worries me...

Old 12-01-03, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/442/442505p1.html

This worries me to a point at least. I did not spend hundreds and you hundreds or thousands of dollars on our DVD collections only to have them last but a few years.

If movie companies think we're gonna re-buy our collections all over again then they are on crack.

What's your opinion on this? I think people are JUST getting used to DVD's and saying goodbye to VHS on a bigger scale than 3 years ago.

New movies could be released using this blue laser stuff I guess, but I'm not gonna rebuy Indiana Jones, LOTR, Back to the Future, etc, etc. Sorry I ain't that rich, and I doubt many are.

Besides, all we're talking about here is holding more extras and featurettes really. The video/audio on DVD's is basically as good as it gets. 95% of people probably won't notice a difference with HD DVDs...

GRRRRRR!

Last edited by Masamune; 12-01-03 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're late.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=332824
Old 12-01-03, 10:21 PM

Thanks
Old 12-01-03, 10:27 PM

I'm not concerned about it yet.
Old 12-01-03, 11:40 PM
Banned

HD=
Old 12-02-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
HD=
Also, HD = $ (for those of us who probably will repurchase much of their current DVD collections)
Old 12-02-03, 08:01 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

dvds look horrible compared to HD, before you post do some reaserch and watch HD movies, I have over 400 movies on d-vhs tapes(yeah of course I want them on disc), and only about 200 dvd's I personally cannot wait for HD-DVD and will buy the first player avilable regardless of price.

and just because a better fromat comes out does not make your dvds obesolete or useless, or otherwise your dvds would have been useless 2 year ago because of D-VHS
Old 12-02-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 12-02-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that's the way it is in the tech world unfortunately. I have 600 laserdiscs which are stacked against my walls collecting dust. I've already replaced most of them with DVD, but since I don't want to bother trying to sell them for 1/10th of what I paid, I keep them for sentimental value. I look at all my DVD's now and guess I'll have to resign myself to the fact that they'll suffer the same fate. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my movies...
Old 12-02-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I have over 400 movies on d-vhs tapes(yeah of course I want them on disc),
I don’t know which is more shocking. The fact that there are THAT many movies on d-vhs, or that fact that someone actually paid $$$ for 400 of them!!!

Also, from the same article:

If you thought DVD was expensive when it launched, hold on to your wallet. Toshiba and NEC say AOD decks will run around $2,700, while the first Blu-ray player from Sony is on sale in Japan for around $4,000.
Does this look like your average housewife will buy this as a gift anytime soon? NOPE!

Personally I won’t touch this until players become in the $100 range, a significant amount of discs are available, HDDVD-Rs are available, and the encryption is cracked. At this point double layer DVDs are not even burnable at home.

Also, there’s no guarantee that everything on DVD today will be on HD-DVD. I’m sure Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and T2 will get HD-DVD releases, and I’m sure new releases will eventually be HD-DVD only, but who’s to say that things like Ghostbusters or Superman will EVER be out on HD-DVD??
Old 12-02-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why concern yourselves with this stuff... We all knew (or should have known) when we bought our movies that it was not an investment. If you are looking for an investment, save your money and put it into real estate or the stock market or some such thing... DVDs and any format that movies may be delivered on in the future are nothing but entertainment (and potentially education, etc. but certainly not investments)... much like books. Even though there may occasionally be a way to make a little bit of money on a particular title, NO ONE is going to get rich from buying and reselling DVDs (unless of course someone gives you a thousand legit copies of Salo). Anyway, in short, a lot of you guys worry too much. Sure HD-DVD will probably be a beautiful thing. I haven't seen it... I do however, have a 64 inch TV that my DVDs look great on today and I expect them to look at least as good on tomorrow's equipment. I will probably buy an HD-DVD (or AOD or whatever) player eventually if it catches on... (*cough*... SACD... *cough* *cough*), but whether I do or not, it doesn't worry me and shouldn't worry any of you. If anything, get excited about the possibilities of seeing movies in what promises to be an even more impressive format. I think that this quote from the above referenced article is important to keep in mind, also, and could prove to be true.

"There is a good case that DVD will be the mass market of choice for the vast majority of end users for the next ten years..."

And while I'm on a bit of a rant, let me add something slightly off topic (since I don't do these too often). Am I the only one that loved the idea of Audio on DVD but who has been disappointed with the way it was done? Firstly, I don't need (or want necessarily) an improvement in CD quality sound. I didn't even consider such an improvement as being part of the plan when the first talks about DVD-Audio started. I expected to have CD quality sound on a medium that could hold much more data... The reason to get excited about this? Box sets or the entire works of one artist could potentially fit on one disc. I guess I am the only one who finds CDs to be a bit tedious because of the limited play time... I don't want to have to be changing my disc every hour or so... I don't want to have to get a changer that I have to change my discs from the trunk in either. This is why I like MP3 CDs, but that is not 100 % perfect either... You can't buy a perfect CD-Audio quality MP3 CD that will have all of the songs the same bitrate and such, but it's 11 hours of music! Imagine the possibilities that exist for DVD-Audio if it were done right (in a way that appeals to people... that there are obvious benefits to... such as significantly longer play time on each disc). That is the type of "killer app" that gets new technology embraced. (anyone see how this ties into DVD? Not that I am saying we should use blue laser to expand existing quality into additional quantity, but that the benefits of the format had better be significant, easy to explain, and easy for the average consumer to understand... not to mention believable and worthwhile)

[/rant]
Old 12-02-03, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I consider DVD to be just fine. I feel the same with CD's. As we get cleaner and cleaner sound, the law of diminishnig returns sets in dramatically. At what point do the human ears & eyes NOT detect improvement in a format??
Old 12-02-03, 10:37 AM
Banned

DVD is fine hence I will only replace approx. 15% of my collection. Hopefully it is adopted by everyone like DVD was and all the titles are released.
Old 12-02-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is possible that the HD-DVD could go the way of the Beta. I mean Beta was better than VHS in terms of quality, but failed because it was marketed poorly and no one bought it.
Old 12-02-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
At what point do the human ears & eyes NOT detect improvement in a format??
they are probably working on this as we speak. change your human eyes to robitic so you can see 10 times better than it is possible with your own eyes.
Old 12-02-03, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I don’t know which is more shocking. The fact that there are THAT many movies on d-vhs, or that fact that someone actually paid $$$ for 400 of them!!!
He recorded them. Lol.
Old 12-02-03, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
they are probably working on this as we speak. change your human eyes to robitic so you can see 10 times better than it is possible with your own eyes.
FASTER!
STRONGER!
BETTER!
Old 12-02-03, 02:42 PM

No use worrying about the inevitable...either you'll upgrade or you won't...simple as that.
Old 12-02-03, 03:05 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

class316, yeah I recorded them off tv, so I paid less for them than most people paid for there dvd's and alot better PQ.

HD-DVD WILL NOT go the way of BETA even though that was around for more than 20 years.

HD is the new standard in television recpetion, wether you like it or not, it will either be HD-DVD or another HD format, but dvd's days are number(to around 5 years )
Old 12-02-03, 04:06 PM

Another article.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0...w=wn_tophead_3
Old 12-02-03, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I have over 400 movies on d-vhs
you probably mean stuff you recorded yourself, right? I can only find info on just over 80 titles of prerecorded D-VHS tapes and I doubt that many fell through the cracks.
Old 12-02-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
I’m sure Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and T2 will get HD-DVD releases, and I’m sure new releases will eventually be HD-DVD only, but who’s to say that things like Ghostbusters or Superman will EVER be out on HD-DVD??
Oh come on, those are popular titles and will surely be available in HD eventually. Now, something like U.H.F. or My Dinner With Andre might not.

ChrisHicks, sometimes it helps to read the posts above before posting yourself. Sometimes your questions could already be answered.
Old 12-02-03, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
ChrisHicks, sometimes it helps to read the posts above before posting yourself. Sometimes your questions could already be answered.
that post wasn't there when I started typing my post. I got sidetracked for awhile and didn't submit my post and obviously that one just slipped right by me. oops.

edit to add: I just looked at the time diff. and I think I should finish my posts before I leave.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 12-02-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
Oh come on, those are popular titles and will surely be available in HD eventually. Now, something like U.H.F. or My Dinner With Andre might not.
umm....that's what I said.
Old 12-02-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
I consider DVD to be just fine. I feel the same with CD's. As we get cleaner and cleaner sound, the law of diminishnig returns sets in dramatically. At what point do the human ears & eyes NOT detect improvement in a format??
I feel the exact same way. With tape and LPs, you had your music getting eaten up, and degrading with each time you played the music, but with CD you finally had a perfect digitial recording of your music that would not degrade with time. And it sounds just fine. I understand there are other formats out there that sounded great and sound better (like the first time I hear DAT), but none of them will make me ever replace my collection of 1200 CDs. Never.

And with DVD, what did we have before? VHS that would degrade not only with each play, but I swear they degraded just sitting there on the shelf. Color drop outs, tape wrinkling when read by the heads of the VCR, the image at the top of the screen bending, tracking issues, and tapes breaking and getting eaten up are all things that made me never embrace VHS. I had very few movies on VHS, and I usually bought previously viewed because I never thought VHS was worth what they were charging for a brand new copy. I always wanted five inch discs that could hold movies long before DVD ever hit the stores, so when that format finally came along, I was more than happy to leave the world of VHS.

CDs and DVDs have been successful because the formats they replaced were inferior on many levels, not just in sound or picture quality. DAT, Audio DVD, HDDVD, all these formats will have a place, but with die hard audio/videofiles and serious collectors. However, as a mass market media, no, I don't think DVD will be replaced with anything for a long time. It's here to stay for the time being.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.