DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Help selecting documentaries (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/332953-help-selecting-documentaries.html)

h8red 12-01-03 05:17 AM

Help selecting documentaries

I was hoping you guys could help me out. My wife likes what I would call "weird" documentaries. What she really likes is watching documentaries of eccentric people. This is a list of what she has now:

American Movie - her all-time favorite
The farmers wife (VHS)
Crumb
Starting.com
Manor House
Grey Gardens
Brother's Keeper
Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control

I would like some reccomendations of something else to get her for Christmas that fits into this eccentric documentary genre

Thanks

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-01-03 07:02 AM

Cinemania

Mammal 12-01-03 07:06 AM

She might like "American Pimp," which is out on DVD. I doubt you have many pimps in Appleton, and pimps are a bit eccentric. Possibly... "Gizmo!"... There's "Vernon, Florida," if you could find it somewhere.

h8red 12-01-03 07:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. While browsing Cinemania, there was another suggestion on the page called West 47th Street and that looks like a pretty good match as well

Josh-da-man 12-01-03 07:13 AM

"No Maps for these Territories" - It's basically a 90-minute interview with science fiction author William Gibson.

I wouldn't exactly consider Gibson to be eccentric in the traditional sense, but he's pretty much out of the mainstream.

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-01-03 07:36 AM

If you're looking for other documentaries not yet available on DVD such as West 47th Street I'd also recommend Gates of Heaven.

Pointyskull 12-01-03 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
"No Maps for these Territories" - It's basically a 90-minute interview with science fiction author William Gibson.

I second No Maps...

Watched it last night, and it is most certainly a non-mainstream title. Enjoyably off center.

Another recommendation:
Sick
Doesn't get much weirder than that.....

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-01-03 07:52 AM

Another one just came to me:

Eyes of Tammy Faye.

Hendrik 12-01-03 11:15 AM

* Bananas Is My Business

* Weird Weekends (R2/PAL)

. . . :o . . .

HistoryProf 12-01-03 11:26 AM

A few of my Favorites - all are just mesmerizingly wierd at times....

A must: Hell House

Keep the River On Your Right

General Idi Amin Dada

Stevie

Quatermass 12-01-03 01:04 PM

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A Leuchter, Jr

The Thin Blue Line

Both by Erroll Morris

Hendrik 12-01-03 01:08 PM

* Starwoids

. . . :o . . .

Quatermass 12-01-03 01:08 PM

Not 100% REAL documentaries, but worth seeing:

Six Days in Roswell

Trekkies

CaseyB 12-01-03 06:21 PM

GG Allin's "Hated"
Beyond The Mat
Trekkies

Enjoy! :)

lcnickell 12-01-03 09:25 PM

i agree HELL HOUSE is really good- must see..

Devils Playground-- About Amish Teens is great

GG allins hated might be a little too much, but great film.

HAnds on a Hard Body is a great DVD

Thor 12-02-03 03:29 AM

If she liked GREY GARDENS, there's always SALESMAN by the same directors (the Maysles brothers).

THE BACKYARD, a just released docu about backyard wrestling, has gotten mostly positive notices, although one person I know had severe issues with it.

And if she liked AMERICAN MOVIE, there's always HOME MOVIE by the same director, Chris Smith. Or, in the film making vein, I understand MULE SKINNER BLUES treads similar ground.

And HANDS ON A HARD BODY - recommended.

h8red 12-02-03 05:13 AM

Thanks a lot guys. You gave me a bunch of films to look at that I never would have discovered otherwise. I appreciate your help. I have to do a little reading on each and decide. I'm hoping to pick up 2-3 of these for Christmas, now comes the hard part of deciding which ones. I'll keep you updated

the hatter 12-04-03 10:50 PM

my best fiend. great documentary about the bizarre relationship between klaus kinski and werner herzog.

cokeguy 12-04-03 11:31 PM

Originally posted by the hatter
my best fiend. great documentary about the bizarre relationship between klaus kinski and werner herzog.
I DON'T second this unless you are a fan of one of them. I just found it utterly boring.

Also, Hell House is quite overrated. Not bad by any means, but certainly not as good as it is made out to be.

Salesman is amazing and gets a huge recommendation, though it doesn't really seem along the lines of what you are looking for.

Have you thought about possibly getting her some mockumentaries? I recommend Zelig and This is Spinal Tap and give a slightly lesser recommendation to Take the Money and Run. They are all about eccentric people.

Dan

Jazzbutcher 12-05-03 07:47 AM

Salesman
Into the Arms of Strangers
paradise Lost
hearts and Minds
One Day in September
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Atomic Cafe--This is great!!!
Iceman-Confessions of a serial killer

Not on DVD:
The Ten Year Lunch -won the Oscar, still not available :(
Hoop Dreams-Robbed of an Oscar, still not available :(

jfoobar 12-05-03 09:42 AM

I do believe that Waco: Rules of Engagement comes out on DVD pretty soon.

Geminix 12-05-03 10:16 AM

West 47th Street is available on dvd for $49 here.

boston george 12-05-03 10:21 AM

Originally posted by brizz
A few of my Favorites - all are just mesmerizingly wierd at times....

A must: Hell House

Keep the River On Your Right

General Idi Amin Dada

Stevie

I second the Idi Amin one. What a wack job.

h8red 12-05-03 07:33 PM

I ended up picking:

Hell House
Keep the River on your Right
Home Movie
Stevie

a few more than what I was going to get but with DDD'd sale who can go wrong. I really do appreciate all your help, I will be using this thread in the future to pick out others.

Thanks Gemenix. I think I will eventually pick up that title. I didn't think it was available on DVD. I wanted to get that as well as Vernon, Florida but Vernon, Florida is OOP as far as I know and not on DVD. Also a little cost prohibitive right now

Dan

CaseyB 12-05-03 08:30 PM

I appreciate this thread too. I'm writing down most of the recommendations. I might have to make a 3rd order at DDD. :)