DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Strong DVD sales may bring new episodes of Family Guy! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/330857-strong-dvd-sales-may-bring-new-episodes-family-guy.html)

RobCA 11-19-03 08:54 AM

Strong DVD sales may bring new episodes of Family Guy!

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

When Gord Lacey created TVShowsOnDVD just over 2 years ago, one of his goals was to help get Family Guy put onto DVD...a sentiment I shared with him completely! Now, seven months after seeing this dream realized with the first of two Family Guy DVD releases, we are now seeing a new phenomenon that neither of us anticipated: the idea that TV-on-DVD releases might actually get this cancelled show renewed once more!

In a stunning new USA Today article by Gary Levin, it is reported that 'Family Guy' may return, based on the very strong sales of the series on DVD. We encourage you to read the article in its entirety, by clicking on that link. However, here are the related portions from it:

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

...A decision to restart the show suggests a reversal from the old TV business model, in which a network hit predicts a profit windfall in syndication. This time, the promise of DVD and syndication gold could justify a show's return even if low network ratings didn't.

Again, this is some stunning and very wonderful news! We thank Michael DeGraw for letting us know about the article. Although there had been some discussion of a straight-to-DVD Family Guy feature as a result of the interest in the show on DVD, we had no inkling whatsoever that it might actually lead to a revival of the weekly broadcasts! While the article correctly points out that this revival is an easier feat for an animated show, since "it can simply be drawn back into existence", the fact that this move is being considered at all demonstrates the power of DVD sales of TV Shows. We're delighted here, and we hope that all of you are, too.
I just discovered this brilliant, truly hilarious show recently, and after devouring the two DVD sets, new episodes would be awesome! I really hope this happens.

Rob

muggins 11-19-03 08:58 AM

I would love to see this!

I'm one of those who never watched it on Fox, but in the past month or so I have become addicted to it on Adult Swim.

Geofferson 11-19-03 09:00 AM

Awesome news - I'd love to see it happen as well!

Canis Firebrand 11-19-03 09:02 AM

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.
This is the part of the article I disagree with.
It didn't air before its times, Fox all but killed it with they way they (didn't) promote it, moved it, didn't air it, etc.

But it is very good news indeed.

uNCSUcks 11-19-03 09:04 AM

:thumbsup:

Adam Tyner 11-19-03 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Vryce
Fox all but killed it with they way they (didn't) promote it, moved it, didn't air it, etc.
...though Fox did stick with it long enough to produce 50 episodes -- if Fox was dead-set against the series, it wouldn't have lasted a full season. Also, I can't see any of the major networks other than Fox greenlighting the series in the first place.

steebo777 11-19-03 09:16 AM

So glad to hear this news :thumbsup:

malkmuz 11-19-03 09:56 AM

awesome news, even though i live in the woods and don't get fox. :hump:

glasschicken 11-19-03 09:56 AM

I was so sad when they took it off the air. I was also sad when I finished the last episode on Volume 2. If we get new episodes it'd be so freakin' sweet! Is the straight to dvd movie still in the works (from a previous thead)?

Bandit03 11-19-03 10:18 AM

Excellent news. This was a great show, hope it turns out to be true.

PixyJunket 11-19-03 10:20 AM

[class316]
Let's hope they don't censor the new episodes!
[/class316]

cruzness 11-19-03 10:22 AM

sweet my wife and I catch this on cartoon network all the time

duy37 11-19-03 10:29 AM

that's so freakin sweet!

fumanstan 11-19-03 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
...though Fox did stick with it long enough to produce 50 episodes -- if Fox was dead-set against the series, it wouldn't have lasted a full season. Also, I can't see any of the major networks other than Fox greenlighting the series in the first place.
I agree, Family Guy seemed like one of those shows that people loved but never really set out to watch week in and week out.

EPKJ 11-19-03 12:19 PM

Well, I did my part. I bought both Family Guy sets. I hope they do make new episodes.

Londo 11-19-03 12:48 PM

Wow... this bodes hope for several other animated series that have been kicking ratings booty on CN that start with an "F" (Futurama?).

Pity that the premise dosen't work that well with live shows.. I mean you would have to get the cast back together, rebuild the sets, get all the props/costumes .....

Kinda like that other "F" show is doing right now :) :) :) (4-hour miniseries my butt... more things are in store for this..)

vice86 11-19-03 12:52 PM

Yeah...only seen a few eps on FOX...never really got home in time to watch it...but watch it all the time on Adult Swim...I'm glad they moved it back to 11:30...so now I can watch Seinfeld at 11 and FG at 1130!!!

Upper pylon 3 11-19-03 01:01 PM

[Quagmire] Owe right [/Quagmire]

Red Dog 11-19-03 01:25 PM

Don't watch Family Guy, but it would nice if this happened to Futurama.

shizawn 11-19-03 02:04 PM

Great news if this happens!

ZKButler 11-19-03 02:22 PM

This was one wonderful discovery for me. All because of the dvd release. The show is very funny. Good for it! A great example of word of mouth success.

teddydogg 11-19-03 03:38 PM

What the deuce is taking them so long! I want new Family Guy and I want it now!!!

PJsig08 11-19-03 04:13 PM

Honestly, this is a phenomenon, thanks obviously to the DVD format. I've bought both sets (blindly) and enjoyed them immensely. I've lent them out to about 10-15 people and each have become Family Guy fanatics since.

This show has a huge following now, even bigger than before. FOX would be absolutely retarded not to bring this show back in one form or another.

Snowmaker 11-19-03 04:44 PM

GREAT NEWS!!

http://www.newcomicreviews.com/album..._the_world.gif

edytwinky 11-19-03 05:02 PM

More episodes and a movie?

:thumbsup: