DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Help with TWO TOWERS: EE sticker.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/330775-help-two-towers-ee-sticker.html)

Masamune 11-18-03 07:09 PM

Help with TWO TOWERS: EE sticker....

GRRRRRRR!!!

I hate these darn things. I know that if I don't pull it off right, I am gonna get sticker crap all over the case and also part of the sticker not coming off right leaving white sticky things on it.

The sticker I am referring to is the one that is on the back and goes to the top of the case. It has all the DVD details on it.

I am afraid to take off the sticker and I am asking for your advice on how to do it. I don't know what to do. Don't say "take it off VERY slowly..." because that doesn't always work.

HELP!!! =p

PS. Yes I am anal. =-p

bis22 11-18-03 07:23 PM

Hmm, my copy didn't have any adhesive on it...

TomOpus 11-18-03 07:24 PM

Mine didn't either.... it just kinda fell away once I took the shrinkwrap off.

Masamune 11-18-03 07:26 PM

Well, mine does.

So....HELP!!!

=p

B.S.Preston,ESQ 11-18-03 07:35 PM

no sticky residue here either. :)

Masamune 11-18-03 07:36 PM

OK quit the "no residue" replies. =p

Just help me, LOL =p

cultshock 11-18-03 07:40 PM

Any sticker residue can be safely and easily removed with a bit of lighter fluid. It shouldn't damage the cardboard as long as you don't put alot on it at once and wipe off the excess fairly quickly. I've even used it to remove stickers from magazine covers with no problems.

Get Me Coffee 11-18-03 07:49 PM

I like to use scotch tape to remove the sticker goo. It works great!

Masamune 11-18-03 08:02 PM

Yeah, and what about the white left over sticker?

Masamune 11-18-03 08:29 PM

Someone told me to try a blow dryer?

freshticles 11-18-03 08:33 PM

i got the box set...tried very hard to pull off the sticker carefully and slowly and big chunk ripped away...im about to take it back...what a bunch of bullshit...the adhesive is in two giant strips running from the top of the box to the bottom

tenaciousdave 11-18-03 08:50 PM

A blow dryer/heat gun will work well. A heat gun is the preferred method. You can go to a Blockbuster/Hollywood/Gamestop or anywhere that has a shrinkwrap machine. They will probably help you out, maybe even do it for you.

DonnachaOne 11-18-03 08:52 PM

Lighter fluid or "Goo Gone".

Both work very well for getting sticky residue off DVD cases. Dab some on a cloth, and wipe off.

Just make sure you take the sticker off very GINGERLY. Slowly doesn't always work; carefully always does.

Y'know Evan, this thread reminds of this post! :)

Masamune 11-18-03 08:55 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Lighter fluid or "Goo Gone".

Both work very well for getting sticky residue off DVD cases. Dab some on a cloth, and wipe off.

Just make sure you take the sticker off very GINGERLY. Slowly doesn't always work; carefully always does.

Y'know Evan, this thread reminds of this post! :)

Yeah, it sadly proves how many problems I have with DVDs these days. =p

They make the stickers TOO sticky.

Masamune 11-18-03 08:56 PM

I'm about ready to try the blow dryer, just wondering HOW hot to get it. I dont wanna melt the box. LOL

danwiz 11-18-03 09:00 PM

I believe that this is the same issue as addressed by DANE, just a bit further down the page!
The threadid is [here]

Masamune 11-18-03 09:02 PM

Yeah, I saw that before. Not much help =/

freshticles 11-18-03 09:03 PM

i just tried a blow drier...got the adhesive on the back...went to the side...the glue looks likeits been applied with a glue stick...its all the way across the side...and WONT MELT OFF...the box and the label have ripped in about ten different places and i havent even gotten half way.....this is now my second one...does anybody have the email address for new line dvd..???

Masamune 11-18-03 09:05 PM

Jeez. Thanks for the warning on the blow dryer.

I hate you New Line...

freshticles 11-18-03 09:10 PM

ive already wasted about two hours of my day on this thing and wonmt waste anymore...im taking it back, getting my money back and not even bothering to buy it again...not the reg edition, not the extended edition....bullshit bullshit bullshit....especially since i got a shitload of attitude from future shop the first time i brought the ****ing thing back..but i still need that email address

Masamune 11-18-03 09:16 PM

How did you use the blow dryer anyways?

How long did you "warm it"? Tell me what you did exactly if you dont mind.

Squirrel God 11-18-03 09:43 PM

Folks,

Seems the Canadian R1 has the paper stuck onto the box. The US R1 doesn't?

Anyway, whatever the case, I have the Canadian R1 and had the same problem. Nothing seemed to get the paper and glue residue off.

But I got it off in the end! :banana:

All you need to do is get a Q-Tip, put the tip in your mouth and wet it with saliva. Then gently rub over the paper and glue residue. Wet the Q-Tip again and rub (remember, do it gently - it will take time, but you don't want to damage the box!). Keep doing this and after you've gone through a few Q-Tips, it will all have come off cleanly :)

Masamune 11-18-03 09:52 PM

I don't have that much saliva =p

Any other ideas? =p

Masamune 11-18-03 09:52 PM

PS....Blow dryer dont work.

Squirrel God 11-18-03 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Masamune
I don't have that much saliva =p

Any other ideas? =p

Yeah you do ;) Trust me, it's the only thing that works. Takes about 5-10 mins.

Oh and just in case you're misunderstanding me - you gotta carefully peel the paper off FIRST, THEN remove whatever residue is left.