CITY OF GOD in febuary!

Community
Search

CITY OF GOD in febuary!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City of God is truly a great film... As for it not living up to the hype??? Well that's the frist I've heard of that!!! I'll back Pro-B up on this one.

Despite it's great narrative, COG is technically a very impressive film also. Voth the cinematography and editing are very fresh and some of the best I've seen in years.
Old 01-28-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
I'm surprised and happy that the film has received 4 Oscar nominations. It really should have been nominated for Best Picture as well.

At the same time, I'm nervous.

I hope Miramax doesn't decide to delay the DVDs release just to capitalize on the Oscar nominations in order to sell more copies.

This is one of the longest Theatrical-to-DVD releases I've witnessed (for films in the DVD-era), and it was already delayed once.

Another delay and I'm going to go ballistic.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Old 01-28-04, 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
At this point I've waited so long, I can wait another month or two. I would not be surprised if they wait until after the Oscars. I was THRILLED to hear about the nominations. And the fact that it was nominated for director while "Seabiscuit" was nominated for picture and not director makes one wonder just how close CoG came to making the Best Picture cut.

Truly, this is my favorite film in years. In regards to the previous posts, it met the hype and surpassed it. I was profoundly moved and excited by the picture, the characters, the acting, and the way it was shot. Just a great, epic crime drama.
Old 01-28-04, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

There's no way Miramax is going to release on DVD any time soon. In an interview with Harvey Weinstein on salon.com today here's what he ahd to say about it:

"My staff said to me 10 different times, "Release it on video already! Get it out! Put it on TV! Do something!" And I and two other people in my company [acquisitions and distribution executives] who loved that movie more than life itself refused to do that. [Releasing a movie on video would make it harder for it to be a success at the box office, even after the attention an Oscar nomination could bring]. Today, we're rewarded. And we're gonna open next week in 200 theaters, and the week after that in 500."

Maybe in time for Xmas '04?
Old 01-28-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool, I'm hoping it shows up in Atlanta soon, I'd go see it again on the big screen.
Old 01-28-04, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't mind waiting longer if it could get a proper screen release. It was only here for about two weeks last time around. I'd love a chance to take a bunch of my friends to see it.
Old 01-28-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't think it came here at all.
Old 01-29-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The dvd just got delayed to June 8th

God, I hate Weinstein - if he would have gotten behind this film when it first hit the theaters, we wouldn't be having this problem now.

I saw this in the theaters in December of 2002 - the dvd should have been out more than 6 months ago, but no, there's money to be had because some dumb fat schmuck didn't see the opprotunity a year ago.
Old 01-29-04, 11:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by slop101
The dvd just got delayed to June 8th

God, I hate Weinstein - if he would have gotten behind this film when it first hit the theaters, we wouldn't be having this problem now.
Huh?

Weinstein bent over backwards to get the film to a 4.8 million gross - a nice sum for a limited release film, but not an art-house hit. He did the best he could.

The public had their chance and they didn't take it. I don't blame him at all for trying to milk a little more out of people who are armed with a more knowledge about the film due to the noms.

Personally, I still say that it isn't a picture for everybody, and doesn't stand a chance of breaking out.
Old 01-29-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I agree - that's why it doesn't need another theatrical release.

It needs a video release before the Oscars, as that's what will give the people who want to see it a chance to see it - more than another theatrical release, anyways.
Old 01-29-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When will we see City of Joy, though?
Old 01-29-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I agree - that's why it doesn't need another theatrical release.

It needs a video release before the Oscars, as that's what will give the people who want to see it a chance to see it - more than another theatrical release, anyways.
Exactly.

The exposure for this film is higher than it's ever been right now.
The opportunity for people to watch this film is extremely small given that it's getting another limited release and will no doubt be playing for a short time.

However, it would be available to ALOT more people if it were released in 3 weeks on DVD (as originally intended).

At least release the DVD the following Tuesday after the Oscars (March 2nd) with the banners/stickers advertising it's Oscar nominations. People will be most interested in this right after the Oscars.

What good is going to come from releasing it in June?
It's a foreign film, and most people will forget about it by the time June rolls around.

They have to strike while the iron is hot.

For a greedy company, they sure aren't thinking smart.

Last edited by Coral; 01-29-04 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was looking forward to seeing this film but I guess I have to wait until June.