Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Rankin/Bass Return of the King accurate portrayal? (no spoilers please)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please dont put any spoilers in this if you can help it, but I was just curious if the Rankin/Bass animated version of Return of the King is an accurate version of what happens in the book. I saw it many times as a child and only some of it is still in memory. I'm worried that what little bit I remember may have spoiled too much of the upcoming film for me. Any thoughts? Again, please try not to put any spoilers as I've never read the Return of the King. If you do please use the hightlighting option.
Old 09-29-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's accurate in that it contains the general gist of it, but there's A LOT left out.

The Hobbit, on the other hand, is an exceptional adaptation.
Old 09-29-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stay FAR away from the R/B Return Of The King--at least until you see Peter Jackson's version.

Agreed with tor_greg though--The Hobbit is charming as long as you don't demand it conform to the LOTR films.
Old 09-30-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was coming in here to give an answer, but tor_greg sums it up quickly and accurately.
Old 09-30-03, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
and if you notice on the DVD cover of the ROTK, it looks like Smaug is resurrected for this adaptation and is displayed on the upper left hand side of the DVD.
Old 09-30-03, 02:15 PM

I don't remember Smaug being in the animated ROTK, but they did change the ending slightly.
Old 09-30-03, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Gourmet Artist
I don't remember Smaug being in the animated ROTK, but they did change the ending slightly.
he's not, he just makes an appearence on the DVD cover, go figure?

Old 09-30-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's an awful cover newly commissioned by WB Home Video, but to be fair, it could be one of the Nazgûl's winged steeds.
Old 09-30-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Did they ever fix the audio on the HObbit DVD? The dvd was missing the "whhooopp" sound made when bilbo put on the ring, also missing other sounds like the spinning spiders scene
Old 09-30-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
I'm sorry, I just can't consider any movie serious that has the voice of Casey Kasem and has the orcs break into song.
Old 09-30-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dstrauss
I'm sorry, I just can't consider any movie serious that has the voice of Casey Kasem and has the orcs break into song.
Hey man! Much as I despise the movie in many respects, "Where There's A Whip There's A Way" is a stone-cold classic!!!
Old 09-30-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dstrauss
Aw, c'mon now . . . without Casey Kasem, we would have no Shaggy . . .

Can't help with the singing orcs though . . . although there was a singing bush in The Three Amigos . . . does that help?  
Old 09-30-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I have to say about this is... don't let this be your first exposure to The Return Of The King. Wait until the movie or better yet read the books.
Old 11-15-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
New Release?

I was actually thinking of picking this up to go with my copies of The Hobbit and the animated LOTR, but I just saw on tlavideo.com that they're taking PREORDERS for this, with a release date of 2/3/04. Check it out: http://www.tlavideo.com/templates/ca...sn=1&id=199374

Is Warner pushing out a new release, or is tlavideo just out to lunch?
Old 11-15-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoiler:
Frodo of the nine fingers... and the ring of DOOM!
Old 11-15-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the cover painting is REEDICYOULOSS!

Who are the two dwarves peeking around the horse. And why the heck is Frodo even ON a horse? A white horse no less - possibly shadowfax? If so, why is he wearing a saddle and other raiment?!

AND SINCE WHEN DO HOBBITS WEAR LITTLE SANDALS!

And why is Frodo holding up a glowing sword anyway? He doesnt even... well, never mind. I don't want to ruin anything.

And why are there TWO Minis Tiriths? And why are all the knights wearing full body armor including full face shields? Gondorians wear helms with wings of the sea birds.

AND WHY DOES THE RING OF POWER LOOK LIKE A KRISPY KREME, BEFORE IT HAS BEEN FRIED?!
Old 11-15-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pasolini
the cover painting is REEDICYOULOSS!

Who are the two dwarves peeking around the horse. And why the heck is Frodo even ON a horse? A white horse no less - possibly shadowfax? If so, why is he wearing a saddle and other raiment?!

AND SINCE WHEN DO HOBBITS WEAR LITTLE SANDALS!

And why is Frodo holding up a glowing sword anyway? He doesnt even... well, never mind. I don't want to ruin anything.

And why are there TWO Minis Tiriths? And why are all the knights wearing full body armor including full face shields? Gondorians wear helms with wings of the sea birds.

AND WHY DOES THE RING OF POWER LOOK LIKE A KRISPY KREME, BEFORE IT HAS BEEN FRIED?!
You're absolutely right on all accounts except maybe one . . . I think that the "sandal" that you see is just the stirrup for the horse. Apart from that, very odd indeed.
Old 11-15-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: New Release?

Originally posted by kenbuzz
I was actually thinking of picking this up to go with my copies of The Hobbit and the animated LOTR, but I just saw on tlavideo.com that they're taking PREORDERS for this, with a release date of 2/3/04. Check it out: http://www.tlavideo.com/templates/ca...sn=1&id=199374

Is Warner pushing out a new release, or is tlavideo just out to lunch?
I'd go with a price drop, but I thought it's been about that price since it came out. I think there was some issue with the menus being wrong or something though, so maybe they fixed that.

Maybe'll they fix the sound FX in The Hobbit while they're at it. Anyone picked this up lately?
Old 11-15-03, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
You mean the menus being the same for ROTK as it was for Bakshi's LOTR? That problem? Lol.

I do like The Hobbit very much. The Road Leads Ever On is a great song, and you have to give them credit for putting music to Tolkien's words.
Old 11-15-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like "The Greatest Adventure" in the Hobbit...
Old 11-16-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eric F

I do like The Hobbit very much. The Road Leads Ever On is a great song, and you have to give them credit for putting music to Tolkien's words.
i might pick the hobbit up just to hear how they handle the music.

The llittle snippet of the song in Jackson's FOTR is nice, but I always wondered how the rest of the lyrics of the song could possibly fit into the tune that H. Shore wrote - esp. since he brings in that cutesy irish flute/whistle that is overused in millions of movies for shorthand to communicate 'this is a lovely, whistful, folksy, rural, idyllic setting that will soon be overcome by misfortune'.
Old 11-16-03, 06:14 AM

Hey man! Much as I despise the movie in many respects, "Where There's A Whip There's A Way" is a stone-cold classic!!!
Here Here !

I think you've got your answer from the previous posts. I own it only because I'm a completest and I love this song.

I love R/B's "Hobbit" but "The Return of the King" isn't even worth watching imo.
Old 11-16-03, 09:35 AM

Talking about music, i always felt the music for Bakshi's Lord of the Rings was the best aspect of that film. I own both the vinyl and CD version of the soundtrack and have to say I think it is one of the most overlooked film scores. Leonard Rosenthal's score is grandiose, powerful and far superior to Howard Shore's IMO.