Reload this Page >

Star Wars OT - September 2004! (merged)

Community
Search

Star Wars OT - September 2004! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE or not, I am excited that this is at least a step in the right direction.
Old 11-06-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
And if he he did, it would be every bit his right.

Good gravy! Will people just let the man make his movies!?!?

Talemyn, I agree that he should be allowed to make his movies how he wants, but why cant he let us have the originals as well. We grew up with them. He had no right to change em. That is like if somebody decided to fix up the Mona Lisa and give her a new nose.
Old 11-06-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by Deadman31
Talemyn, I agree that he should be allowed to make his movies how he wants, but why cant he let us have the originals as well. We grew up with them. He had no right to change em. That is like if somebody decided to fix up the Mona Lisa and give her a new nose.
How do we know that the Mona Lisa we know and love isn't the Special Edition Mona Lisa that Da Vinci finally decided on? Maybe the nose WAS different in the beginning.... or maybe her eyes were crossed?

Da Vinci had every right to do Mona Lisa as he seen fit. Like it or not, George Lucas has every right to do his movie as he sees fit.
Old 11-06-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TomOpus
How do we know that the Mona Lisa we know and love isn't the Special Edition Mona Lisa that Da Vinci finally decided on? Maybe the nose WAS different in the beginning.... or maybe her eyes were crossed?

Da Vinci had every right to do Mona Lisa as he seen fit. Like it or not, George Lucas has every right to do his movie as he sees fit.

Exactly right. He did it his way. Lucas did it his way, but he shouldnt just change his mind and leave the fans that made him who he is out to dry. Ill buy the SE's but I just want the originals as well.
Old 11-06-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

. . . and . . .I forsee a lot of people walking around with their noses cut off.
Nope. I have plenty of other things going on, I don't give a damn if I don't own these films. If Lucas wants to play games, then he can keep 'em.
Old 11-06-03, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus

Bad analogy since the Mona Lisa was not rereleased.
Old 11-06-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by porieux

but if it was re-released and called The Mona Hobag Lisa, what would you think?

Last edited by Deadman31; 11-06-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 07:38 PM

LOL
Old 11-06-03, 07:43 PM

At last! My dream!

I will watch the movies the way George wants me too, it's his vision, not mine.
Old 11-06-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the proper Han/Greedo scene is in there, I’d forgive not having the OT. Otherwise, bad Lucas, good bootlegs.
Old 11-06-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the theatrical versions ever hit DVD, they'll be included in the "30th anniversary definitive saga collection" they'll undoubtedly put out in 2007. It's just another way to bleed us fans of every last cent.
Old 11-06-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm happy.

I will get this regardless of editions, inserts, case type, and etc.

Only condition is good video and audio transfer.
Old 11-06-03, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter how you cut it this is great news! I will put serious money on the fact that the original versions will never be released on DVD. In every interview about the Trilogy Lucas brags about how happy he is with the New Version. And from the covers of the last VHS release (removing the SE title) it seems he has replaced the Originals with these New versions.

Oh well... I have my Laser Discs and can't wait for any version of these films to come out.
Old 11-06-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dazed
Its bound to be the 'not so' Special Editions.

Oh well, Im more interested in Lord of the Rings now anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Kal Jedi

Yes, so much so that you felt the need to crap on a STAR WARS thread.
That wasnt a thread crap (maybe just a thread fart ).

Im just waiting for the originals since those are the ones I love.

Empire and Jedi were not so bad Special Editions other than Luke's awful girly scream. I just dont need to see a bad CG Jabba ever again so maybe ill skip ANH and pick up the other 2.

Anyway, its a long way off and so who knows what will get released, maybe it will be a special special edition with luke scream now removed and Jabba actually replaced with some good CG
Old 11-06-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

weren't they going to fix that jabba from ANH?
Old 11-06-03, 08:22 PM

Happy to finally hear about these coming to DVD. I wonder if people will be camped out in front of Best Buy for weeks/months in anticipation? Starwoids is a fun documentary on the folks who camped out at the theatres.
Old 11-06-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by porieux
People in this forum seem to have a lot of trouble with hypothetical analogies . . .

Tom . . . I am one of those "we" who grew up with these films (I remember talking about Star Wars being in the theaters with one of my friends at his house when I was a little kid ), so I understand the sentimental attachment, but honestly, I don't think the changes make the movie all that different. Honestly, I like the SE's. The only thing that I wasn't real pleased with was the new Jabba scene in Ep. 4, but not because it shouldn't have been done . . . I think it was a good change . . . but I don't think that the technology was ready enough to make it at the time. They just weren't quite able to match him right with the original Jabba. I actually hope that is upgraded when they are released again.

Anyway, I guess I also sympathize with Lucas a little. I'm a bit of an artist myself and there are three things that I think are applicable from my experiences to what Lucas must be feeling:

1) I have never cared what other people thought of my work when it came to it being "good enough". As far as I am concerned, my peices are done when I am happy with them . . . even if I put them down for a while. I think Lucas feels the same way.

2) Little is as annoying in creating art as working on a peice, getting a initial version done, noticing an opportunity to improve it later, and then having people, who have seen it in the interim state say, "Why did you change it? I thought it was good the way it was before." Lucas must be going through this now.

3) I remember on my first personal website, I was in college and all I had to make graphics was a demo version of PaintShopPro. There was one particular image that I wanted to make, but I just couldn't get it quite right using that program, so I settled with the best that I could do with what I had. Years later, I purchased Photoshop and found that I now had the capability to do the image the way I had originally wanted to. I didn't hesitate for a second to go back and fix the image. I don't think I even have a copy of the old version any more. Similarly, Lucas has made it very clear that he had things that he wanted to do earlier during the initial releases that he was unable to do because of time, money, and technological constraints. Because of that, I don't consider the differences in the films to be Lucas changing the films . . . I consider them to be Lucas completing the films.

I can't wait for the OT to be released, and for the sake of the rest of you, I hope you get your theatrical release with it, but, really, I don't imagine that I would ever watch it. And, quite honestly, I don't think that Lucas really wants people to watch the movies that way either. I think he thinks of them as incomplete and inferior first drafts.
Old 11-06-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by CaseyB
Happy to finally hear about these coming to DVD. I wonder if people will be camped out in front of Best Buy for weeks/months in anticipation? Starwoids is a fun documentary on the folks who camped out at the theatres.
I hope not, I don't think I could control myself walking into work to see SW fans camped outfront.
Old 11-06-03, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

"pray for seamless branching people."

Somehow I feel that with Lucas we will never see an option like that.

Actually the only thing I really can't stand about the SEs is Greedo shooting first.

*off topic* I am glad to see the Alien Quadrilogy will come with seamless branching!

That is how all added content should be handled on DVD IMO.

Last edited by MattSVT; 11-06-03 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 08:48 PM

I forsee a lot of people walking around with their noses cut off.
Not me. I've got the original versions on LD and will stick with those if Lucas doesn't include them on the DVDs next year.

And BTW, as much as I dislike some of the changes in ANH, the SE for Empire drives me nutz. I hate the way he butchered the last 10 minutes with the inclusion of Vader returning to the Star Destroyer. Bring back "Bring my shuttle"!!!

Also, quit saying they're "his movies". Last I checked, Lucas didn't direct Empire or Jedi. I realize he owns the rights to the films, but that doesn't make him the sole creative force(no pun intended) behind them.
Old 11-06-03, 09:33 PM

If I've waited this long, I'll probably just hold out for a box set of all 6 movies.
Old 11-06-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Doughboy
Also, quit saying they're "his movies". Last I checked, Lucas didn't direct Empire or Jedi.
Yeah . . . I'm sure he locked himself away in library at Skywalker Ranch while Kershner and Marquand were working and said, "Have fun . . . give me a shout when you're done!" He's pretty well known for being a hands off kind of guy.

I can't imagine anyone seriously believing that any of the Star Wars movies are anything but Lucas'.
Old 11-06-03, 09:59 PM

...but honestly, I don't think the changes make the movie all that different. Honestly, I like the SE's.
And there are plenty of people who think chopping off 30% of the picture from the sides doesn't change the movie all that much, either.
I can't imagine anyone seriously believing that any of the Star Wars movies are anything but Lucas'.
Man, there's nothing I love like the Executive Producer's Cuts of my favorite movies.
Old 11-06-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by (does it matter?)
I will watch the movies the way George wants me too, it's his vision, not mine.
You and George are real tight, yes?

My guess is that George wants us to see them in the theater with THX sound. Therefore, nobody has any right viewing them anywhere else.

I'll be watching them on a 19" Daewoo with mono sound. That's sure to piss him off.
Old 11-06-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Third Jake
...but honestly, I don't think the changes make the movie all that different. Honestly, I like the SE's.
And there are plenty of people who think chopping off 30% of the picture from the sides doesn't change the movie all that much, either.
Man, there's nothing I love like the Executive Producer's Cuts of my favorite movies.
Are you calling me a J6P?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.