DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Alien Quadrilogy Date 12/2!!!! Official (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/327766-alien-quadrilogy-date-12-2-official.html)

jdugger2 11-03-03 08:32 AM

Alien Quadrilogy Date 12/2!!!! Official

I know there are other posts about the set, but they're cluttered now with old rumors and speculations. We can start fresh with this or you can delete it if you like.

This was in USA Today:

"Get a box of 'Alien' films on DVD
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
The Alien invasion will go beyond theaters when a monstrous nine-disc Alien Quadrilogy box set arrives Dec. 2.
Over the weekend, Alien returned to theaters on 347 screens, bringing in a modest $1.04 million. The re-release was designed to draw attention to next month's DVD release of the original movie that made Sigourney Weaver a star in 1979, plus its three sequels.

The $99.98 set includes versions of the four Alien films not yet seen on home video:

•Alien can be watched in the original version or the new director's cut now playing in theaters.

• The 1986 sequel, Aliens, is available on DVD for the first time, with director James Cameron's special edition as well.

• Alien 3 (1992) has more than 30 minutes of new footage.

•Alien Resurrection (1997) has alternate opening and ending scenes.

Each movie also has its own accompanying disc of extras, and the ninth disc has a new interview with Alien director Ridley Scott. Scott and Weaver, who starred in all four films, also take part in a new commentary on the film.

One creature feature sure to pique fan interest: A multi-angle study of the "chest-buster scene," in which a hatched alien emerges from the stomach of Kane (John Hurt).

"Some of the background anecdotes and information about the shoot and setup — particularly (actress) Veronica Cartwright's reflection on the shock of getting soaked in jets of blood — are the type of thing that really sets DVD apart as an entertainment format," says Peter Staddon, senior vice president of marketing for Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

In total, the Alien Quadrilogy set has about 45 hours of previously unseen material. On Jan. 6, the films will be available individually on DVD for $26.98 each."

I hear specs are coming at around noon.

F For Fake 11-03-03 08:48 AM

Wow, thanks! Now I have a date to look forward to. Must start saving. This thing is a must-buy for me, but I'm sure many will be happy to hear that the films will be available individually.

Now the hunt for the best bargain is on...

Geofferson 11-03-03 08:50 AM

calendar marked!

marty888 11-03-03 08:51 AM

<b>"In total, the Alien Quadrilogy set has about 45 hours of previously unseen material."</b>

Note to self: <i>Cancel all plans for December</i>

45 hours??????

REL77 11-03-03 09:14 AM

Excellent.... Suprised to see them being released individually though, Box Set all the way for me

Rypro 525 11-03-03 09:16 AM

and also each movie will have seamless branching as well, not just number 1

PalmerJoss 11-03-03 09:17 AM

Jesus, it's 'bout damn time! I just hope I can afford it. If not, perhaps someone will be nice enough to buy it for me for Christmas. :thumbsup:

Bacon 11-03-03 10:19 AM

are these good blind buys? I've never even seen the origianl film.

Rypro 525 11-03-03 10:24 AM

go right ahead. if your lucky, maybe the original is playing at your local theater. 3 and 4 are questionable, some like em, some don't but 1 and 2 are def. classics.

lisadoris 11-03-03 10:42 AM

That's good news! If I start saving now I might be able to afford it since 12/2 is already a rather expensive day:

DS9 S7
Alias S2
Pirates of the Caribbean

talemyn 11-03-03 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
are these good blind buys? I've never even seen the origianl film.
You should be pretty safe . . . Aliens (the second one) is possibly the finest "alien-style" sci-fi movie ever made (Bill Paxton's character is priceless . . . almost ever line that comes out of his mouth is an instant "quotable quote"). The original Alien, is a sci-fi classic. The third and fourth movies are definitely the weak ones of the bunch, but I've heard that the re-edits improve the films (have not seen the "new" versions yet).

If you are worried, and can wait until January, then I would suggest at least picking up Alien and Aliens individually. You will not be sorry.

jdugger2 11-03-03 10:50 AM

DVDanswers.com has menu screenshots.

The link:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...=s%3D1%26r%3D1

DonnachaOne 11-03-03 10:54 AM

Originally posted by jdugger2
DVDanswers.com has menu screenshots.

The link:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...=s%3D1%26r%3D1

That's region two... Norway...

Sessa17 11-03-03 11:06 AM

Re: Alien Quadrilogy Date 12/2!!!! Official

Originally posted by jdugger2
The 1986 sequel, Aliens, is available on DVD for the first time

Wasn't Aliens in the original box set?

chanster 11-03-03 11:11 AM

The theaterical cut of Aliens was not available.

RocShemp 11-03-03 11:19 AM

Originally posted by lisadoris
That's good news! If I start saving now I might be able to afford it since 12/2 is already a rather expensive day:

DS9 S7
Alias S2
Pirates of the Caribbean

I'm also getting Alias S2 and Pirates of the Caribbean. I was hoping this set'd arive a few months later cos I dodn't think I'll have the money in time. :(

Deckard-10 11-03-03 11:19 AM

It's about time! &nbsp :) &nbsp I was beginning to think this would never be released.

ckolchak 11-03-03 11:23 AM

WHOO HOOO! only 2 more months!

Thunderball 11-03-03 11:31 AM

2 more months? You didn't graduate high school did you?

Regardless, it's only a month away, where are the preorders? No one has it listed yet :(

GeoffK 11-03-03 11:45 AM

Here's the OFFICIAL Press Release

A L I E N
QUADRILOGY

BURSTING WITH 45 HOURS OF BONUS MATERIALS AND
NEVER-BEFORE-AVAILABLE VERSIONS OF EACH MOVIE,
THE DEFINITIVE 9-DISC SET LANDS ON
DECEMBER 2, 2003

Fox Home Entertainment Sets The DVD Bar With Ridley Scott,
James Cameron, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Original Film Editors,
Five FX Companies And More To Deliver The Ultimate Alien Collection

CENTURY CITY, Calif., – The Alien Quadrilogy is hatching! The ultimate nine-disc Alien DVD collection, loaded with never-before-available versions of each movie, plus a bonus disc, explodes on December 2, 2003 from Fox Home Entertainment. Featuring 45 hours of never-before-seen footage, the Alien Quadrilogy includes the original theatrical releases of each of the four films in the franchise plus alternate versions of each film and out-of-this-world bonus features including new director commentaries, original screen tests and production footage. A ground-breaking initiative from Fox Home Entertainment, the significant under-taking marks the first time a studio’s home entertainment division has finished a theatrical film (Alien3). Working closely with Directors Ridley Scott, James Cameron, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, original film editors, and teams from Fox Restoration, Fox Sound, Visual Effects houses, TCFHE and the DVD producer coordinated the restoration of original footage, reconstruction of original audio, new visual effects and foley work, and much more to allow fans to experience the Alien franchise as never before. The most highly anticipated box set of the year is set to infiltrate homes this holiday season with a suggested priced of $99.98 U.S./$139.98 Canada.

On January 6, 2004, the Alien singles DVD discs will land. The two-disc Collector’s Editions of Alien, Aliens, Alien3 and Alien Resurrection will be loaded with the never-before-available versions of each film, plus commentaries from the world-renowned directors, behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more for a SRP of $26.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada. Pre-book date for the singles is December 10, 2003. The Alien Quadrilogy bonus disc is exclusive to the box set.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

Presented in English 5.1 Dolby Digital (except for Alien and Alien Resurrection, which are also presented in English 5.1 DTS), French Dolby Surround (Canada only) and Spanish Dolby Surround (U.S. only) sound. All films are anamorphic widescreen with their original 2.35:1 aspect ratios (except for Aliens, which is presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio) and THX certified.

ALIEN

The original 1979 theatrical version of Alien and the 2003 Director’s cut
An introduction by Director Ridley Scott, Dan O’Bannon, Sigourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt and more
Brand new commentary by Ridley Scott and the technical crew
Nine brand new documentaries: “Star Beast” – On developing the Alien story; “The Visualists” – the direction and design of the film; “Truckers In Space” – Casting the movie; “Fear Of The Unknown” – Behind the scenes at Shepperton Studios in 1978; “The Darkest Reaches” – Developing the Nostromo and Alien planet; “The Eight Passenger” – Creating the Alien; “Future Tense” – Focusing on the music and editing of Alien; “Outward Bound” – Peering into the film’s visual effects; “A Nightmare Fulfilled” – Reaction to the film’s opening
A Multi-Angle Scene Study on the Chestburster sequence with optional commentary by
Ridley Scott and the production team
Sigourney Weaver’s original screen test with optional commentary by Ridley Scott
Seven deleted scenes with a deleted footage marker and deleted scene index
The first draft of the screenplay by Dan O’Bannon
Ridleygrams – Original thumbnails and sketches by Ridley Scott
Storyboard Archives
The Art of Alien including a cast portrait gallery, production gallery, the sets of Alien, H.R. Giger’s Workshop, continuity polaroids and VFX gallery
The original theatrical posters and stills from the premiere

ALIENS

The original theatrical version - available for the first time ever on DVD - and James Cameron’s special edition version of Aliens
An introduction by Director James Cameron
Brand new commentary by James Cameron, Michael Biehn, Jenette Goldstein, Carrie Henn,
Terry Henn, Lance Henriksen, Gale Anne Hurd, Pat McClung, Bill Paxton, Dennis Skotak,
Robert Skotak and Stan Winston
James Cameron original treatment
Nine brand new featurettes: “57 Years Later” - Continuing the saga; “Building Better Worlds” - From concept to construction; “Preparing For Battle” - Casting and characterization; “This Time It’s War” – A look back at Pinewood Studios, 1985; “The Risk Always Lives” - Weapons and action; “Bug Hunt” – Creature design; “Beauty And The Bitch” – Power Loader vs. Queen Alien; “Two Orphans” – Revisiting Sigourney Weaver And Carrie Henn; and “Aliens Unleashed” – Reaction to the film
The Art of Aliens including conceptual art portfolio, cast portraits, production gallery, continuity polaroids, Stan Winston’s workshop, VFX gallery and premiere stills
Deleted footage marker and deleted scene index
Multi-angle videomatics with optional commentary by Miniature Effect Supervisor, Pat McClung
An Easter Egg

ALIEN 3

The original theatrical version and a restored pre-release version with more than 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage
Brand new commentary by Cinematographer Alex Thompson, Editor Terry Rawlings, VFX Designers Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr., Visual Effects Producer Richard Edlund, and actors Paul McGann and Lance Henriksen
11 new featurettes: “Development” – Concluding the story; “Tales Of The Wooden Planet” – Vincent Ward’s vision; “Pre-Production III” – The making of Alien 3; “Xeno-Erotic” –
H.R. Giger’s redesign of the Alien creature; “Production: Part One, Part Two, and Part Three” – Behind-the-scenes on the production of the movie; “Adaptive Organism” – Creature design; “Optical Fury” – Visual effects; “Music, Editing And Sound”; and “Post-Mortem” – A reaction to the film
E.E.V. Bio-Scan – A multi-angle vignette with optional commentary by Alex Gillis
The Art of Alien 3 including conceptual art portfolio, production gallery, and visual effects
Furnace construction time lapse
Storyboard archives

ALIEN RESURRECTION

The original theatrical version and an extended cut with alternate opening and ending sequences
An introduction by Director Jean Pierre Jeunet
Brand new commentary by Director Jean Pierre Jeunet, Herve Schneid, Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr., Pitof, Sylvain Despretz, Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Leland Orser
First draft of the screenplay by Joss Whedon
11 new featurettes: “From The Ashes” – Reviving the story; “French Twist” – Direction and design; “Under The Skin” – Casting and characters; “Death From Below” – Underwater photography; “In The Zone” – Basketball scene; “Unnatural Mutation” – Creature design, “Genetic Mutation” – Creature design; “Genetic Composition” – A listen to the music; “Virtual Alien” – Computer generated imagery; “A Matter Of Scale” – Miniature photography; and “Critical Junction” – A reaction to the film
Multi-angel rehearsal footage
A Mike Carro photo gallery, a conceptual art gallery, VFX gallery, a promotional photo archive and continuity polaroids
Storyboard archives
An Easter Egg

BONUS DISC

A brand new Q&A with Ridley Scott
“Experience in Terror” – A promotional featurette from 1979
“Alien Evolution” – Channel 4 U.K. exclusive documentary on Alien
A complete laser disc archive of Alien and Aliens
Original theatrical trailers and TV spots from all four films
“Aliens In The Basement” – Inside the Bob Burns ALIEN Collection
Dark Horse cover gallery – Anthology of 11 issues of the ALIEN comics
DVD-ROM feature – Script to screen comparisons

SYNOPSES

ALIEN

Alien is the first movie of one of the most popular sagas in science fiction history, and introduces Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, the iron-willed woman destined to battle the galaxy's ultimate creature. The terror begins when the crew of a spaceship investigates a transmission from a desolate planet, and discovers a life form that is perfectly evolved to annihilate mankind. One be one, each crew member is slain until only Ripley is left, leading to an explosive conclusion that sets the stage for its stunning sequel, Aliens.

SYNOPSES (cont’d)

ALIENS

In this action-packed sequel to Alien, Sigourney Weaver returns as Ripley, the only survivor from mankind's first encounter with the monstrous Alien. Her account of the Alien and the fate of her crew are received with skepticism - until the mysterious disappearance of colonists on LV-426 leads her to join a team of high-tech colonial marines sent in to investigate.

ALIEN 3

Lt. Ripley (Weaver) is the lone survivor when her crippled spaceship crash lands on Fiorina 161, a bleak wasteland inhabited by former inmates of the planet’s maximum security prison. Ripley’s fears that an Alien was aboard her craft are confirmed when the mutilated bodies of ex-cons begin to mount. Without weapons or modern technology of any kind, Ripley must lead the men into battle against the terrifying creature. And soon she discovers a horrifying fact about her link with the Alien, a realization that may compel Ripley to try destroying not only the horrific creature but herself as well.

ALIEN RESURRECTION

Ellen Ripley (Weaver) died fighting the perfect predator. Two hundred years and eight horrific experiments later she's back. A group of scientists has cloned her-along with the alien queen inside her - hoping to breed the ultimate weapon. But the resurrected Ripley is full of surprises for her "creators," as are the aliens they've imprisoned. And soon, a lot more than "all hell" breaks loose. To combat the creatures, Ripley must team up with a band of smugglers, including a mechanic named Call (Winona Ryder), who holds more than a few surprises of her own.

A recognized industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is the marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS and DVD as well as video acquisitions and original productions for the U.S. and Canada. Each year the Company introduces hundreds of new and newly repackaged products, which it services to more than 70,000 retail outlets – from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce – throughout North America. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is a unit of Fox Filmed Entertainment, a Fox Entertainment Group company.

jkester 11-03-03 11:49 AM

any pics of the r1 set yet?

gutwrencher 11-03-03 11:57 AM

Originally posted by F For Fake

Now the hunt for the best bargain is on...

whoever can get me the box by 10am, that morning....WINS!:D

if Walmart has it at midnight...I'd even pay a little extra. it's hard work being a dvd whore.

stanl2 11-03-03 12:00 PM

usa today

Yes, the warehouse "BJ's Journal" said Dec 16. See this DVD Talk thread

But, USA Today on Nov 3 says Dec 2.

And, finally, Amazon lists it without a price (as of 1:00 PM eastern on Nov 3) as Dec 2.

Kaffe_02 11-03-03 12:05 PM

Sweet I cant wait to get this set. It sounds awesome

Comfort Eagle 11-03-03 12:20 PM

Hmm, im really torn on if I want the box set or just the individual releases of Alien and Aliens. Im not big fans of the last two, but I will probably end up getting the box set just because it is so damn cool and complete.