Community
Search

I watched a full frame movie tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched Creepshow, and I put the DVD on the widescreen side at first, but noticed they seemed to cut off the comic book panels during the transition scenes, so I flipped the DVD over to check out the full frame side only to find out the widescreen version was the full frame version with black bars put on the top and bottoms. The framing on the full frame side wasn't perfect, but what is up with this movie? Is it just a bad transfer or was it matted like that in the theater as well? (And for the record, I am a widescreen fan.)
Old 10-31-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
many movies shot in 1:85 are like this. For the most part, the widescreen version is the prefered version.
Old 10-31-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
many movies shot in 1:85 are like this. For the most part, the widescreen version is the prefered version.
I normally agree, but when they have the comic book panels at the end and beginning of each sequence, matted version cuts off the words (when I first noticed) so it wasn't like dead space being cut off on the tops and bottoms. There is still a but of cropping on the full frame version, thus the reason I am wondering about the transfer quality of the movie here.
Old 11-01-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
I normally agree, but when they have the comic book panels at the end and beginning of each sequence, matted version cuts off the words (when I first noticed) so it wasn't like dead space being cut off on the tops and bottoms. There is still a but of cropping on the full frame version, thus the reason I am wondering about the transfer quality of the movie here.
It's fairly likely that they purposely drew comic book panels that could be fully displayed at 4x3 in order to make full frame transfers (for video & TV) easier to create.

DJ
Old 11-01-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first step is admitting you have a problem...
Old 11-01-03, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually the fullframe version is a zoomed in version of a fullframe image.

At least that is how it appeared to myself. A great example would be the sequence with Ed Harris dancing & he swings one hand over his head,waving his fingers.

On the widescreen version,his hand is completely cropped out. On the fullframe version,it is the same thing. Only it is worse looking,since the WS image has been zoomed in.

Yet I recall seeing the film many times both on video(early vhs release) & tv & his hand was always visible!

Yet the WS version is the better version of the two to view on the dvd,unless a true unmatted version were released.

Romero's films for the most part are all shot fullframed & matted to 1:85 for theaters. They do not look that great matted for the most part from the few I have a seen.

That is why he choise to release Martin unmatted only on dvd. If you see that film. Just try to imagine it with the image cropped,since 99% of the film is shot all upclose!
Old 11-01-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker

Romero's films for the most part are all shot fullframed & matted to 1:85 for theaters. They do not look that great matted for the most part from the few I have a seen.

That is why he choise to release Martin unmatted only on dvd. If you see that film. Just try to imagine it with the image cropped,since 99% of the film is shot all upclose!

Always wondered why Martin wasn't released widescreen on DVD - thanks for the info.
Old 11-01-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Actually the fullframe version is a zoomed in version of a fullframe image.

At least that is how it appeared to myself. A great example would be the sequence with Ed Harris dancing & he swings one hand over his head,waving his fingers.

On the widescreen version,his hand is completely cropped out. On the fullframe version,it is the same thing. Only it is worse looking,since the WS image has been zoomed in.

Yet I recall seeing the film many times both on video(early vhs release) & tv & his hand was always visible!

See, that's what I am talking about. I think there are some serious framing issues with this DVD that make the BTTF framing issues minor in comparison. I will appreciate the current version we have on DVD, but I am hoping somebody re-releases this at some point in the future with a better transfer (and correctly framed!)
Old 11-01-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the back to school dvd (from what I hear) is all ****ed up. the "widescreen" version even cuts up the credits as well, where some of them are not visible, and many heads get chopped off. So on that dvd, the full frame would be the way to go and hopefully mgm re releases that movie in its propper oar.
Old 11-01-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you go blind if you watch a move in full frame instead of widescreen?
Old 11-01-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LBPound
I thought you go blind if you watch a move in full frame instead of widescreen?
guess all of us kubrick fans get to go blind then.
Old 11-03-03, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sick bastard! Full frame? What were you thinking?!?

Hey, man, I like a good open matte version sometimes. On the Kingpin (1996) disc you see more of Vanessa Angel in the full frame version.