Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Myra Breckenridge is coming to Fox DVD on March 9th 2004 !!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called Fox Home Entertainment yesterday. I asked if it was true that they were releasing the DVD of Myra Breckenridge, the controversial 1970 movie, starring Raquel Welch, John Huston, Rex Reed and which marked the return to the screen after 27 years of Mae West. The spokesman said yes and that the official release date of the Myra B DVD will be March 9th 2004.

Director Mike Sarne has put together a making of documentary about the movie, and it will be interesting to see what 2004 audiences will make of the much derided cult movie. You will either love or loathe it!
Old 10-29-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I never saw the film when it was released (too young for R-rated movies) but I did catch the photos when they were in Playboy. Not sure what to make of it now....
Old 10-29-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Will Ms. Breckenridge come with an insert?

Oh wait, that's kind of a spoiler...
Old 10-29-03, 04:36 PM

I believe Roger Herren may have come with an insert! Wonder whatever happened to him after the movie came out? The first on screen male rape by a male to female transexual - no wonder Fox was innundated with complaints at the time the movie was seen as quite shocking!
Old 10-29-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TomOpus
I never saw the film when it was released (too young for R-rated movies) but I did catch the photos when they were in Playboy. Not sure what to make of it now....

The film was X rated when it opened in 1971
Old 10-29-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

saw the film uncut on a boot a few yrs ago.
i would easily fall into the later category Muir.
i'm happy for you, as you seem to be a fan of the film, but i have to wonder just how badly something like Mary Tyler Moore can sell, that they would abandon any plans for future seasons, yet they will put time and resources into releasing a film like this which i would expect to have considerably more limited appeal.
thats curious to me.
Old 10-29-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to an official announcement!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=284856
Old 10-29-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by salamander2
The film was X rated when it opened in 1971
Oh, duh.... that's right. I think the smoke has clouded my memory.
Old 10-29-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is great news. Does anyone know what version the Fox Movie Channel airs?

I saw the last 30 minutes of it last year when it aired in widescreen. Strange film that will be interesting to see the entire thing of.

Yet I hope the original uncut X rated version is released & not the edited R rated version. Though from what little I saw on FMC. The film could easily pass with an R uncut today. Then again,if Beyond the Valley of the Dolls can't get an R uncut today,that does'nt bode well for this film. Damn MPAA!!!
Old 10-30-03, 01:50 AM

Aging Divas Movie Obsession!

Originally posted by marty888
Looking forward to an official announcement!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=284856
Yes, I confess the movie has been somewhat of a long time obsession!! Still there could be worse obsessions! I'm a a collector of all kinds of movies, classic musicals and dramas,Film Noir,Hammer Horror & Universal Monster movies (wonder if we'll have to wait for the release of the computer generated effects spectacular Van Helsing in the summer of 2004, before Universal re-releases all the classics again?) Disney /Warner Bros/MGM classic animation, and films with comebacks of aging divas :- here are three such movies

Just A Gigolo 1978 with Marlene Dietrich,David Bowie. Maybe the inclusion of Bowie would make a DVD release a possibility?

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane 1962 with Bette Davis/Joan Crawford. This title must surely qualify for a Special Edition with a Making Of documentary?

These Old Broads TV Movie 2002 Joan Collins,Liz Taylor,Debbie Reynolds etc Living in England I have never seen this one but it sounds a curiosity, probably dreadful (!),did any forum readers see it?

Last edited by Muir Hewitt; 10-30-03 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the uncut version on videotape (letterboxed) and by contemporary standards (American Pie, Porky's, etc.) the film is pretty tame...I'm sure it drove everybody nuts upon it's intial release, but now it's just bawdy. The Mae West/cowboy joke is the best, though.
Old 10-30-03, 11:56 AM

The movie was Tom Selleck's first appearance in the movies - he is the first "stud" Mae West eyes up!!
Old 12-18-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From DVDFile:
Rounding out Fox's latest announcements is a March 9th debut for The Raquel Welch Collection, a box set of her most beloved (and campy) classics: Bandolero!, Mother Jugs & Speed, One Million Years B.C., and what is widely considered to be one of the worst movies of all time, the infamous Myra Breckinridge. Each is newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen and stereo, and all include the "Raquel Welch Theatre" trailer assortment, and Myra Breckinridge also includes two audio commentaries with director Michael Sarne and the other with Welch, the AMC Backstory featurette and additional teaser trailers and TV spots. Retail is $14.95 a pop for each of the individual titles, and $49.95 for the box set, which will also include the Welch spy thriller Fathom, which is already available.
Pretty impressive specs for Myra B! I wonder if they considered making it a Fox Studio Classics title. At only $14.95 SRP, I just may have to pick that one up.

Rob
Old 12-18-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-18-03, 01:14 PM

Awsome news. I will be picking this up!

Hmmmm I wonder if the other Welch movies would be worth checking out? She is too damn gorgeous,yummy!
Old 12-20-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDTimes has the cover art for this, and the other titles in the Raquel Welch collection:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6329

Rob
Old 12-20-03, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Aging Divas Movie Obsession!

Originally posted by Muir Hewitt

Just A Gigolo 1978 with Marlene Dietrich,David Bowie. Maybe the inclusion of Bowie would make a DVD release a possibility?

I have been waiting for the longest time for this film to come out on DVD. Who owns the rights to it?
Old 12-20-03, 03:35 PM

Awww I am glad they kept that lovely image for the Myra cover
Old 12-20-03, 05:21 PM

It looks like one of the stills Terry O'Neill took whilst working on the movie set. He's recently published a book of his photographs entitled Celebrity. He says Mae was always asking him for the transparencies he'd taken of her, then perusing the pix for any blemishes then keeping the best shots herself and returning the duds. This does not seem to make sense but that's the story he printed in his book! There is a nice image he took of her as the Statue of Liberty, or as some wag said once the Statue of Libido!!