Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

R.E.M. Greatest Hits Music Videos DVD

Old 10-28-03, 04:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was the release of R.E.M.'s greatest hits on cd entitled "In Time: The Best of R.E.M." I was under the impression as a companion release that a dvd entitled, "In View: The Best of R.E.M." was to be released at the same time. I didn't see it in stores and have been mostly unable to find it on the internet through big companies (amazon, best buy, buy, ect.) Does anyone have any details about this dvd music video collection? Thanks
Old 10-28-03, 04:27 PM

I just picked this up from Best Buy (It was under the Music DVD section). Price was $19.99.

Amazon Listing

Basically you get 16 Videos, 6 Bonus videos, and 3 live performances.

Haven't had a chance to pop it in the player yet, though.
Old 10-28-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When someone watches this can you please post if it has the live performance of the last song they performed at the last show of the Green tour. It was on an earlier VHS of theirs (can't remember which, and I don't feel like digging through my VHSs to find it).

Thanks.
Old 10-30-03, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Their DVD called "Parallel" had a lot of the same videos.

It's nice to have all of the WB work in one place, though. I'll probably pick this bad boy up.
Old 10-30-03, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Oh, dang. It's in a jewel box and doesn't have the awesome "Crush with Eyeliner" video.

Hmm... I don't know, now.

It is only $13.99 at Amazon, though.
Old 10-30-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Oh, dang. It's in a jewel box and doesn't have the awesome "Crush with Eyeliner" video.

Hmm... I don't know, now.

And stupidly, it isn't on the Spike Jonze Collection DVD that was also released 10/28.
Old 10-30-03, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Yeah, that's too bad. It is on the "Parallels" video, though. I'm pretty sure this was released on DVD. I was kinda hoping there'd be a Soopa-Humongus R.E.M. DVD Video Collection, which is why I haven't upgraded from the VHS yet, but I guess this one will fall slightly short.

Still, for $14 it's a pretty decent collection.

I'm a little confused as to why it's being placed in the "Music" rather than DVD section of most stores, though, and why it's in a jewel case (that probably answers that one, actually - it looks like a CD, so they place it with the CDs) instead of a keep case.

Old 10-30-03, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its actually available in both a CD jewel box and a snapper case. I bought the snapper version because it fits in with my other music DVDs.
Old 10-30-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was kinda hoping there'd be a Soopa-Humongus R.E.M. DVD Video Collection
Yep... me too. I think I'll keep waiting for a while.
Old 10-30-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
Yep... me too. I think I'll keep waiting for a while.
Problem with that, and I know this has happened for a few bands is that different record labels/ownership of the videos so it can get to be a pain in the ass for everyone involved to work out a deal to allow all the videos on a disc. I know that this is something that has hindered Poster Children from putting out a DVD of their videos (sadly).

But, of course Dead Milkmen were able to do it so in that sense everyone should be able to.
Old 10-30-03, 01:35 PM
Suspended

It's not a matter of rights, since the same company is putting this out (Warner) that put out their albums since 1988 and previous video collections.

The new collection seems to be mirroring the new Best Of CD - nothing more. There are other singles from that period that had excellent videos, but you won't see them on this set, which is unfortunate.
Old 10-30-03, 03:03 PM

DeepDiscountCD.com has the limited edition CD and the DVD for about $28 shipped. Special offer if you buy both at once.
Old 11-17-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked this up at Borders over the weekend, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Alot of these videos I've never seen (as I don't watch MTV or VH1), so it's great to see them for the first time. I've been an REM fan since I took my parents tape of Green (yeah, it was that long ago) right after it came out.

I was in Athens for four years and never once saw any of the guys from the band, although I stomached The Grit one time simply on the off chance that I'd see Stipe. No such luck. Oh, well, so it goes...but this is a pretty good set, and I'm glad I picked it up. THanks for all the previous info...I need an HT set-up so I can hear these things in DTS, too!
Old 11-18-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by reubs82

I was in Athens for four years and never once saw any of the guys from the band, although I stomached The Grit one time simply on the off chance that I'd see Stipe. No such luck. Oh, well, so it goes...
What a coincidence! I've lived just outside of Detroit all my life and I've never seen Eminem or Kid Rock. What the hell is going on!?!

JK
Old 11-18-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if you're serious or not here, but the members of REM are still very prominent in the Athens community, and I had friends who could give a rip about REM see Stipe, Mills, or Buck in random places (Home Depot, for example). And, if you've never been to Athens it's a bit smaller than Detroit therefore increasing the possibility of seeing hometown faces.

But if you weren't being sarcastic, disregard all of that.