DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Once Upon a Time in Mexico- January 20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/326610-once-upon-time-mexico-january-20-a.html)

pro-bassoonist 10-28-03 08:50 AM

Once Upon a Time in Mexico- January 20

January shapes up to be a very nice month indeed. From dvdtimes.com:

"Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment have scheduled the Region 1 DVD release of Once Upon a Time in Mexico for 20th January 2004 with a retail price of $28.95. Unfortunately that is the extent of the information we have so far but you can expect more details to come in over the next two weeks. "

:D looking forward to this one (and please use the cool poster art for the cover).

REL77 10-28-03 08:55 AM

I cant wait for this, I skipped it in the theater and was dying to see it. I hope its loaded

matome 10-28-03 08:57 AM

I hope my wallet will be able to take the post-Holiday hit that these January releases are going to inflict!

Rogue588 10-28-03 08:58 AM

GREAT news! :up:

Geofferson 10-28-03 09:07 AM

Looking forward to this one!

PalmerJoss 10-28-03 09:24 AM

I'm sure we can at least expect a documentary and a Robert Rodriguez commentary. Hopefully another "10 minute film school" installment too--I've always enjoyed those.

BlackBeauty92 10-28-03 11:11 AM

i'm waiting for the SuperBit...

steebo777 10-28-03 01:38 PM

Add it to the wishlist. Maybe I should tell everyone to wait to buy my presents until the end of January so I don't have to buy all the movies myself :D

Kinyo 10-28-03 02:03 PM

I think I'll wait for the Superbit too.

Josh H 10-28-03 02:21 PM

I'm unsure on this one.

I liked it ok, but at the same time was hugely dissappointed as I didn't think it was in the same league as the first two.

Red Dog 10-28-03 02:25 PM

What was the word of mouth on this one? I just watched El Mariachi and Desparado for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I liked them and watched the preview for OUATIM that was on the DVDs.

Josh H 10-28-03 02:32 PM

Word of mouth was more or less mixed.

Personally, I didn't think this one was near as good as the first two, which I love.

There's an asinine political plot, way too many characters, the mariachi almost seems like a sub character, and most of all it just seemed to take itself too seriously at times and lacked the sense of "fun" that made desperado great.

Some of the action is way over the top and fake, even for this series as well.

But, as bad as that sounds, it was still decent with a great performance by Depp (though his character is pretty pointless, I'd rather have him out and more focus on the mariachi).

There was a fairly lengthy thread in Movie talk you could dig up to get some more opinions on it as well.

airic43 10-28-03 02:38 PM

Can't wait to get this!

Red Dog 10-28-03 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Word of mouth was more or less mixed.

Personally, I didn't think this one was near as good as the first two, which I love.

There's an asinine political plot, way too many characters, the mariachi almost seems like a sub character, and most of all it just seemed to take itself too seriously at times and lacked the sense of "fun" that made desperado great.

Some of the action is way over the top and fake, even for this series as well.

But, as bad as that sounds, it was still decent with a great performance by Depp (though his character is pretty pointless, I'd rather have him out and more focus on the mariachi).

There was a fairly lengthy thread in Movie talk you could dig up to get some more opinions on it as well.

Well the only remaining question is....does Salma Hayek get naked? :)

Josh H 10-28-03 03:01 PM

Nope, and she's only in the movie for five minutes tops.

Red Dog 10-28-03 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Nope, and she's only in the movie for five minutes tops.

That's rather disappointing. This might be a rental.

cultshock 10-28-03 03:16 PM

I'll be picking it up. Hopefully it will have a Rodriguez commentary track, because thats always worth the price of admission right there.

Josh Z 11-02-03 01:59 PM

I'm with the other Josh on this. Movie was a huge let-down.

Jackskeleton 11-02-03 02:19 PM

I enjoyed it for Depps character over everything else. I'll be buying it. :)

gerrythedon 11-03-03 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I enjoyed it for Depps character over everything else. I'll be buying it. :)
Same here... btw, It's Johnny FK'n Depp! :)

Rypro 525 11-03-03 08:02 AM

any cover art?

eldragun 11-03-03 09:53 AM

I heard this movie was shot in HD just like attack of the clones, can anyone confirm this?

aam1 11-03-03 10:41 AM

IMDB can

DonnachaOne 11-03-03 11:00 AM

Originally posted by eldragun
I heard this movie was shot in HD just like attack of the clones, can anyone confirm this?
A search would have told you; yes, it was shot with Hi-def cameras. They were newer Sony cameras, a bit more advanced than the ones AOTC had (and streets ahead of 28 Days Later's! :)).

End result? Well, depends where you went, really. DLP theaters had, apparently, vibrant, beautiful color and rich contrast. However, film projections depended on the print - some were very good, while many people saw washed-out prints.

Pants 11-03-03 07:28 PM

#1 disapointment of the year for me.

I love El Mariachi and Desperado is one of the most fun time, over the top movies ever. Once Upon a Time in Mexico has nothing to recomend it. The direction is muddled, the action sloppy, the music stinks (bring back Los Lobos!!!), the plot isn't worth following, the script is too talky, every part is a cameo. It just stunk on ice. I do not recomend it and I'm a huge Rodreguez/Mariachi fan. I own both previous films, would recomend them to anyone, and I won't even be renting this one.

P.S. the 35mm print I saw looked dreadful