Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica - Purchase Decision On the Fence?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 11:48 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved BSG but I'm hesitant due to the price tag. Who else is on the fence?

Sadly, I must admit, I'm a sucker for gimicky packaging. Do you think Universal will make enough sets initially?

Old 10-14-03, 12:40 AM
Banned

I'm completely off the fence.

When I was a kid and this show first aired, I watched every week and loved it. However, seeing it now (catching an episode on Sci-Fi every now and then) at the age of 38, I have to ask myself, what was I thinking?

This show just does not hold up all these years later. Interesting idea, but the show was basically dreck (not to mention a rip-off of Star Wars).

I'm actually looking forward to the new Sci-Fi miniseries, to see what they do with the idea.
Old 10-14-03, 01:45 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by FranksAndBeans
I'm completely off the fence.

When I was a kid and this show first aired, I watched every week and loved it. However, seeing it now (catching an episode on Sci-Fi every now and then) at the age of 38, I have to ask myself, what was I thinking?

This show just does not hold up all these years later. Interesting idea, but the show was basically dreck (not to mention a rip-off of Star Wars).

I'm actually looking forward to the new Sci-Fi miniseries, to see what they do with the idea.
Counterpoint:

The guy is nuts, dont listen to him. I had the opprtunity to catch the whole run of episodes while interning at the local UHF station a handful of years back. And while the show indeed has it's flaws, the strength of the show carrys it along.

The Sci-Fi miniseries, however is turning out to be more and more of a train wreck every time I hear a behind the scenes preproduction story. I suspect that it's going to be Deep Hurting(TM) of the highest order.
Old 10-14-03, 01:57 AM

I'm buying it for the pure cheddar value of the set. What other DVD series can you buy that will give you something to play for guests and a DVD case that will be this cheesy.
Old 10-14-03, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SilverScreen
I'm buying it for the pure cheddar value of the set. What other DVD series can you buy that will give you something to play for guests
Yes, it would work quite well if you wanted to get rid of them.
Old 10-14-03, 02:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
And while the show indeed has it's flaws,
Old 10-14-03, 02:29 AM
Suspended

Gee, what can I say to such a witty and well thought out rebuttal? Clearly your logic and rapier like wit have struck down my feeble opinions. I've seen the light and will now go forth and burn my pre-orders in deference to your all-seeing, all knowing greatness.

Whatever, little man.
Old 10-14-03, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am getting mine that is for sure.
Old 10-14-03, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a sucker for gimicky packaging.
I'm also on the fence but I'm going the opposite way on this one. For right now I'm just going to rent them and potentially, if they ever come out w/ different packaging, I'll pick it up then. Although looking at the pic above it looks like the cylon head might be removable.
Old 10-14-03, 06:54 AM
Banned

Gee, what can I say to such a witty and well thought out rebuttal? Clearly your logic and rapier like wit have struck down my feeble opinions. I've seen the light and will now go forth and burn my pre-orders in deference to your all-seeing, all knowing greatness.

Whatever, little man.
Lighten up, Francis.

Old 10-14-03, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by nemein
I'm also on the fence but I'm going the opposite way on this one. For right now I'm just going to rent them and potentially, if they ever come out w/ different packaging, I'll pick it up then. Although looking at the pic above it looks like the cylon head might be removable.
Cylon head looks glued-on to me.

I'm holding back 'til I see the Best Buy sale circular next Sunday, just in case they have a better deal than the current pre-order prices (it's happened in the past). That's what I did when "Meaning of Life" came out.

The only thing worrying me is this is from Universal. If Best Buy has the best price, then I'll probably wait 'til the end of the week when, hopefully, some preliminary reviews will already be up.

Though I like the show, the "critics" in this group do have a point: it doesn't hold up well with a "modern" audience (i.e. today's kids). I tried playing my copy of the pilot for my eight year old niece. She was very bored and didn't even make it through the first half hour. I was her age when the show was originally on, and I was captivated from the start. There simply wasn't anything like it on TV. Now, you see more SFX in your average episode of Power Rangers.

I guess today's kids are a little spoiled on wall-to-wall SFX in place of a story.
Old 10-14-03, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Lighten up, Francis.

Hey I'm not the one being insulting and getting in other people's grill about other peoples opinions. But hey, if that's how you want it, fine with me. You are plain out and out wrong about the show, and clearly you have no taste.

And I can post happy dancing little gifs all day long too. Doesnt change the fact that you're being a jerk.
Old 10-14-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Now, you see more SFX in your average episode of Power Rangers.

I guess today's kids are a little spoiled on wall-to-wall SFX in place of a story.
Good point! I'm also on the fence with this. It's right up there with wanting to buy Doogie Howser, MD just for nostalgia's sake.
Old 10-14-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you actually watch the show again, or just catch a few random minutes of one of the bad 'cowboy' episodes?

Because, if you actually watched the show, you would probably see that El-Kabong is correct.

The show certainly has flaws -- mainly because of the rushed production near the middle of the run. But the ideas, characters, storyline (one of the first attempts at a major story 'arc' in American TV), and effects more than make up for it.

The show is not perfect, not by a long shot. But if you are going to call it 'drek', I'd like some more substance to back up the claim.

And, honestly, a rip-off of Star Wars? Please... Obviously, the effects are similar, and the show was made to cater to the Star Wars crowd, but it isn't even close to a rip-off.
Old 10-14-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will buy only if I get a big bonus check from work.
Old 10-14-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I was on the fence until Universal's latest batch of sh#$ty QA and forced trailers pushed me right off the fence. If this was released by Fox or Warner Bros. I'd buy right away, but given that it's Universal, I'll wait until I hear how many defects their "QA" (if it exists) did not catch.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but it's just so ridiculous that a studio still handles DVD product the way they do.
Old 10-14-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And I can post happy dancing little gifs all day long too. Doesnt change the fact that you're being a jerk.

You guys are tearing each other apart over BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, of all things?

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 10-14-03 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the fence....then fell off the fence and came up with a dozen or so ass splinters. I'll pick it up. young punks may not dig the show....they needed to be there....but were still pre-diapers. the older folk who dont like it now...thats cool. I grew up with the show....this set is mine.
Old 10-14-03, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Well With STL at Amazon got it shipped for $75 a bit Pricey but it's kind of a niche program. THe box is Neat but I'm wondering how I can display it.
Old 10-14-03, 03:53 PM

Although looking at the pic above it looks like the cylon head might be removable.
It will be...and just in time for halloween
Old 10-14-03, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Naw, it doesnt look like the head comes off:

Old 10-14-03, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then I'm definately not getting it until they ditch the package...
Old 10-14-03, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Then I'm definately not getting it until they ditch the package...
Why is the package such a deal breaker for everyone? You dont like the big Cylon head - fine, take the discs out of the Cylon head and store the inside package on the shelf. Sell the head on E-bay for 20 bucks and TA-DA! no more Cylon head AND the series just dropped to 60 bucks.

I cant imagine that I'm the only one out here who has thought of that. . . .
Old 10-14-03, 07:26 PM

I'd much rather watch this than a lot of new Sci-Fi series that are on TV right now ..I'll buy this For sure
Old 10-14-03, 07:57 PM
Banned

Hey I'm not the one being insulting and getting in other people's grill about other peoples opinions. But hey, if that's how you want it, fine with me. You are plain out and out wrong about the show, and clearly you have no taste.

Read back thru the messages, I've done NO SUCH THING!

I gave my opinion about the SHOW. YOU are the one who has gotten personal and directed PERSONAL insults at people. (I've seen people suspended for less!)

YOU, my friend, (and EVERYONE can see it), are the ONLY one who is hurling personal insults.

But I do have to wonder, getting worked up and hurling personal insults over a TV SHOW???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.