Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

An irrelevant post about region 1 vrs region 2 - bear with me!

Old 10-12-03, 10:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you may know - region 2 releases which are PAL run 4% faster than NTSC movies.

So did you know that...

if you watch one movie a day (averaging 2 hours in length) - over a life time you could save 2 months of your life by watching region 2 rather than region 1!

0.04 (speedup) x 120 mins = 4.8 mins a day saved by watching region 2

that is 1752 minutes a year.

taking a 50 year lifetime = 1752 x 50 = 87600 minutes saved

= 1460 hours

= 60.8 days

= 2 months!

Think about what you could be doing in those 2 months wasted watching region 1 films
Old 10-12-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, at least we know how you're using your two months...

"..and if you eat 1 less french fry each time you go to MacDonalds...."

"..and if you wear each pair of socks one more time before you throw them out..."

Old 10-12-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It only really comes to bear with TV boxsets. You can save about an hour just by watching an X-Files season in PAL rather than NTSC
Old 10-13-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never actually seen this in action. Does it affect the viewing experience, and why is there actually a speed-up in playback?

And while I'm at it...if I get a region-free DVD player, will I need to get ANYTHING else to watch PAL discs, or will it all be covered in the region free deck? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-03, 02:25 AM
Banned

This is either the dumbest or most brilliant post I've ever read regarding DVDs.
Old 10-13-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by reubs82
I've never actually seen this in action. Does it affect the viewing experience, and why is there actually a speed-up in playback?

And while I'm at it...if I get a region-free DVD player, will I need to get ANYTHING else to watch PAL discs, or will it all be covered in the region free deck? Thanks in advance.
There's a difference in the frame rate between PAL and NTSC which makes PAL run a little faster. You probably wouldn't notice it visually, although there are people who complain they can hear it, as the music is slightly higher pitched. Usually that only applies to material you are already highly familiar with. I've never noticed it.

As long as the region free player converts PAL to NTSC, you should be good to go.
Old 10-13-03, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
As long as the region free player converts PAL to NTSC, you should be good to go. [/B]
Not necessarily. If he's in the US, the player not only needs to be region-free, but needs to have a built-in digital converter that can take the PAL signal and oconvert it to an NTSC signal that his US television can display.

Some (not all) players that say they're NTSC/PAL only output NTSC or PAL signals in their native system, which would only be useful for the small handful of US viewers who have a multi-system TV (you can't just go in and buy such a TV at Wal-Mart).

Be sure your player not only plays NTSC/PAL but also has a built-in digital converter. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a stand-alone converter.