Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars OT coming in 2004?? Hmm

Star Wars OT coming in 2004?? Hmm

Old 10-14-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for those who havent yet, heres the petition http://www.originaltrilogy.com/petition.cfm
Old 10-15-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hehe. Just thought I'd fuel this some more. I haven't seen this report on any of the other threads either:

Originally reported by Cinescape:
For the past month now the rumors have been flying hard and fast that an announcement concerning the release of the first trilogy of STAR WARS movies on DVD may be in the cards. Websites such as The Digital Bits have been reporting that there are rumblings Lucasfilm may (remember, that's a maybe) release EPISODES IV - VI on DVD sometime in the fourth quarter of 2004.

And now the day of the big announcement may have been revealed. According to a report published on the STAR WARS collectible website Yakface.com , an important event of some kind is being held on November 5 at The Precidio, the complex in San Francisco now owned by Lucasfilm. An exotic invititation in the form of a Darth Vader figure fixed atop a black acrylic block has been sent to businesses that have worked with Lucasfilm in the past.

The invite reads: "LORD VADER IS PLANNING A MAJOR ASSAULT. HE SUMMONS YOU TO SHARE HIS TOP SECRET BATTLE PLANS. WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2003, THE OFFICERS' CLUB, AT THE PRESIDIO, SAN FRANCISCO, CA. LIGHTSABERS AND BLASTERS MUST BE CHECKED AT THE DOOR. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU."

Is this the invite to a presentation announcing the classic STAR WARS films on DVD? And if so, will the films be only the SPECIAL EDITION versions and not the original released cuts?

We're still waiting for a TIE Fighter to arrive and drop off our invite...
One can hope...
Old 10-15-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*fingers crossed* for original theaterical releases on DVD with DTS sound!
Old 10-15-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts
I believe the invite is for a kickoff meeting for episode 3 licesees
Old 10-15-03, 03:16 PM
Retired

The maker of those games said it was false that they were coming to the X-box, so I'd guess the OT to DVD rumor is false as well. See the thread in Video game talk for a link.
Old 10-15-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So let's throw a little more wood on this fire . . . well not this fire, but one slightly to the left of it and back a few feet . . .

I was just talking to a customer service rep about an order that I had placed that included "The Commitments" DVD becuase I had missed that it was a FF only DVD. He mentioned that it was the only way that it had been released and that it was, actually, a fairly new re-release, so that it might not ever come out in WS . This led to a side discussion about re-releases, aspect ratios, formats, etc. in which he proved himself to be fairly knowledgable on all of those topics.

Now for the reason that you sat through the rest of this post . . .

He mentioned that "Star Wars fans are in for a suprise" when the original trilogy is released on DVD because the only version of Return of the Jedi that still exists is the SE. He said that even Lucas was suprised to find that an orignal version was nowhere to be found.

Maybe all of the clamoring for an "all Originals" release is for nought . . .

Anyone have any information to confirm or deny this?
Old 10-15-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys are all wrong. It's for the re-re-re-release of the VHS tapes.
Old 10-15-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Hehe. Just thought I'd fuel this some more. I haven't seen this report on any of the other threads either:

One can hope...
"A New Hope..."
Old 10-15-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GuessWho
I believe the invite is for a kickoff meeting for episode 3 licesees
Oh...
Well, I'm still hoping it's a little bit something more than that. It just seems like such an elaborate invitation and the wording of it does raise one's eyebrows...
Old 10-15-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That invitation may have been the dorkiest thing I have ever seen in my life.

To make this not so much of a crap, when is Ep. 3 gonna be release? Is it next year or 2005? Maybe he would release Eps. IV-IV because he needs more money to make the third film. Who knows? Nothing with Lucas Film surprises me anymore now that I've seen the "Lord Vader" invitation...
Old 10-15-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts
May '05
Old 10-15-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GuessWho
May '05
Tell me this is true. Where'd you get this?
Old 10-15-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*fingers crossed* for original theaterical releases on DVD with DTS sound!
You should know by now that Dolby Digitial is ALL your are going to see on any Lucasfilm. And, I am glad about this so more bits will be used for the video.

Last edited by DavidH; 10-15-03 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 08:27 PM

yea thats gonna kick some a ss

but cmon david, u should know better! its gonna be in 1080 i hdtv reso!!

ooo myy gooodd
Old 10-15-03, 09:08 PM

He mentioned that "Star Wars fans are in for a suprise" when the original trilogy is released on DVD because the only version of Return of the Jedi that still exists is the SE. He said that even Lucas was suprised to find that an orignal version was nowhere to be found.
While I have no real way to "confirm or deny" this, I think that he (the guy) is wrong or quoting some sort of "urban legend" that often float around retailers, distributors, etc. When I worked in the mall years ago, a rep told the manager at Suncoast that Lucas had ordered all prints of the Original Trilogy to be burned and that he would supposedly prosecute and theater/individual that kept any prints?!?!? Those kind of rumors always circulate. I would be stunned (and I mean STUNNED) if that were true. No way in the world would all original cuts/masters/whatever of Return of the Jedi disapppear. I knows that when he went to do the SE's, Star Wars (Ep4) was supposedly in pretty bad shape. LucasFilm (or whoever) went on to scan each frame into the computer. From there, they created the SE's. If they scanned them all in the computers, unless they accidentally/purposely deleted the files(which I doubt) then the Originals exist somewhere in some server farm on the Ranch or something like that... Just my two cents. . . Hmm, any hackers want to try to have some fun!!

Zack
Old 10-15-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Lucas is responsible for spreading this rumor that the original elements/prints no longer exist to get the fans off his back to release the OT on DVD.

There is NO way Lucas does not have all of the original elements. I don't buy this for a second.

Regarding Star Wars on DVD next year, I'm starting to think it will be the SE versions we saw on VHS and laser disc. Then, after Episode III, we'll get the "final" versions.

I want to see the OT as much as anyone, but I will be the first person in line to buy the SE versions.
Old 10-15-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
One would hope somebody at Fox had the foresight to set aside their own copies of the unaltered versions.
Old 10-15-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
One would hope somebody at Fox had the foresight to set aside their own copies of the unaltered versions.
Well, the point that ZackR made about the shape of the originals is what gave a little more credibility to the possibility that it was true (in my mind). It was stated pretty plainly in the interviews at the beginning of the Episode 4 SE, that if they hadn't done the restoration work in the process of creating the SE's, there was a pretty good chance that, soon after, the originals would be in too bad a shape to be usable at all. If that is the case, at 5-10 years later (not sure when the work began), it could be that the originals are useless now.

But the point about the digital copies from the transfers is also a good one. It would be pretty silly to dump that if they had them all stored on a bunch of drives somewhere.
Old 10-16-03, 12:06 AM

How would the original version not be available when they spent all the time reconditioning the prints and reviving it for the SE editions? That rumor doesn't make a lick of sense.

Last edited by dunno260; 10-16-03 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DavidH

Regarding Star Wars on DVD next year, I'm starting to think it will be the SE versions we saw on VHS and laser disc. Then, after Episode III, we'll get the "final" versions.

If that is the case, then Lucas has already lost many of his sales, as the "import" DVDs of the SEs are good quality as to not necessitate buying new DVDs of these when they come out, unless the original cuts are on a second disc.

Personally, I don't think the SEs should ever see the light of day on DVD, at least officially. Aside from the fact that everybody who really wants them can find them if they know where to look, they are more imperfect than the OT original cuts that Lucas is still trying to fix after all these years. Greedo shooting first aside, the whole Jabba scene reinserted in there needs some serious work, and we all know the special effects were not touched up the way Lucas wanted them to be (and if they can remove those blocky boxes from around the ships in space, I will be happy with that). The SEs from 97 look more like test reels for what was to come, and I consider them like demos of better versions to come. And would anybody really raise such an uproar if those versions never came out officially on DVD if Lucas puts out the final special editions?

And here's to hoping he fixes his wrongs: Han shoots first again, and there is no extened song sequence in ROTJ. Aside from that, and he does need to fix the Jabba scene, I had no problems at all with any of his changes.
Old 10-16-03, 05:33 AM

I got tired of waiting, I just burned my own DVD's from my Definitive Laserdisc collection. Since Lucas refuses to allow people to see the non-special editions any longer, this was the only true alternative. At least for me.
Old 11-05-03, 10:28 PM

Original Trilogy on DVD - September 2004
Old 11-05-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I'm sold.

Oh wait.
Old 11-05-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is palace typing this from his laptop at the Lucas party ala The Comic Book Store Guy?
Old 11-06-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. Maybe I should buy a DVDR just to record my copy to DVD and sell a bunch on Ebay. Probably pay for the machine the first week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.