Reload this Page >

Miike's Dead Or Alive Trilogy Boxset - 11/25/03

Old 10-10-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kino just announced this:

- November 25, 2003 -- Takashi Miike's DEAD OR ALIVE II and DEAD OR ALIVE III, and a DEAD OR ALIVE trilogy boxset.

That's all the info I have...
Old 10-10-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm... what to do. I have I & II from the UK, but it would be nice to have it in R1
Old 10-10-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard that the picture quality on the UK discs isn't that good. I thought Kino's Dead Or Alive transfer was pretty spot on, so I expect II and III won't be hack jobs either.
Old 10-10-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ehonauer
I've heard that the picture quality on the UK discs isn't that good. I thought Kino's Dead Or Alive transfer was pretty spot on, so I expect II and III won't be hack jobs either.
It is "OK", nothing to be impressed over and nothing to be floored by. I have not seen the R1 releases yet so I don't know, but generally I am very happy with Kino's releases. I think I will just replace my I and II with R1s
Old 10-10-03, 11:33 AM

I hadn't seen any other release of DOA, but I thought the Kino version looked kinda crappy. But then again I'd never seen a V-cinema movie before, I guess they're supposed to all look pretty crappy. That said, the UK versions must look terrible!

In any case, I'm glad I held off, and will pick the R1 box set up!
Old 10-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet news. This time I'm gonna pre-order them off the web, I had a hell of a time finding part one when it came out.
Old 11-27-03, 05:01 PM

So, to anyone who has it, do the 2nd and 3rd films have much in terms of extras or are they just bare bones?
Old 07-11-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DOA is non-anamorphic, unlike part 1 and 2,
supposedly they did not have an anamorphic master, since they shot it on DV and matted it. doesnt make much sense to me but....

otherwise it's OK. nothing special
Old 07-11-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So tell me,is this set worth purchasing blind?

I would love to see the original. But sadly the only version I could find for rental,was the butchured R rated version. So I skipped that.

Meanwhile Borders only has 2 & 3 for $30 each. No sign of part 1 at all...and then their is this box set. Since none are available for rental. I would love to check it out sometime.
Old 07-11-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
So tell me,is this set worth purchasing blind?
Really tough to say because all 3 films are different from each other. DOA1 is a good place to start if you've never seen a Takashi Miike film. And it's highly recommended to those who are in the mood to see something that's a bit more perverted and hyperactive than an early John Woo vehicle or a Ringo Lam film.

DOA2 (My personal favorite) is an acquired taste. Miike slows things down to tell an entirely different story this time around, but the result is unforgettable. Miike isn't best known for drama, but here you briefly get a taste of how good of a diverse director he can be.

DOA3 (Again, not picking up where it left off) is the one that I've seen the least amount of times and didn't quite care for. But if you're a fan of Blade Runner, you'll probably appreciate it more than I did as you'll notice a similarity between the Scott film and this.

As far as the A/V goes for this Kino trilogy, not sure. As of now, DOA2 is the only one I own (I wouldn't mind getting DOA1 somewhere down the road) and I had no complaints with the sound/picture on that one. I saw DOA3 on cable and wonder if the murky video-look of the movie fared better on DVD. DOA1 is the only disc that comes with a worthwhile extra, a brief Miike interview.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 07-11-04 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 10:21 PM

I'm waiting for DOA Ultimate myself.