Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What is the best versin of Fist Of Legend available for a Region 1 Player?

Old 10-07-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm finally getting around to upgrading all of my old kung fu VHS/bootlegs, but I still don't want to get a Region free DVD player. So is what is the best version available of this classic Jet Lee flick for a region 1 DVD player. Or is there no such thing? Is the Tawain uncut Ritek release legit? There is a guy on ebay selling a ton of them for $15.00 It's advertised as having 5.1 DD sound, but I didn't even think Fist of Legend had 5.1 sound.

Last edited by Sessa17; 10-07-03 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There isn't a region 1 or region 0 version worth buying. The Ritek version is a piece of crap along with the Disney cut version. If your looking for a good picture with a lousy dub that's the one to get. That's why I'm keeping my LD version until there is one. The French R2 version is the only one that comes close but it doesn't have english subs.
Old 10-07-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mrhan
There isn't a region 1 or region 0 version worth buying.
That is what I'm afraid of. It's why I've never really made an effort to replace most of my hundreds & hundreds of kung fu VHSs. But no I've really got the itch to do so largely due to Kill Bill.

I should have rephrased the subject. Are there ANY good Region 1 releases of any kung fu movies (Besides Master of the Flying Guillotine which IMO is s superb release).
Old 10-07-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Although you don't have a region free player, you're in luck because the majority of HK DVDs of HK films are "region 0". The problem you might run into is that Disney has bullied alot of US sellers of HK discs into not offering HK versions of films that Disney owns the rights to (but there are some reputable HK online stores that can sell them to you). Also, alot of the HK discs are not anamorphic and are taken from less than pristine film prints, but they are very reasonably priced. Unfortunately, two of my favourites, the aforementioned Fist of Legend and Drunken Master II are examples of films that have yet to have a decent DVD release (ie. subtitled and correct aspect ratio).
Old 10-07-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Although you don't have a region free player, you're in luck because the majority of HK DVDs of HK films are "region 0".
Yeah, I basically am looking for a list of the "best" region 1 or Region 0 Kung fu/martial arts DVDs available. For instance, I dig the hell out of Hero & the Region 0 boxset is awesome. So does anyone know if there are any other good releases that can be played on a Region 1 DVD player?
Old 10-07-03, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a site with comparisons of the different versions floating around.Fist of Legend

If I had to make the choice I would go with the Buena Vista one since the video quality of the Ritek version isn't all that great and neither version have the original soundtrack.
Old 10-08-03, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd go for the vcd it's cheap and while it may not look as good as the region 1, at least it's no dubbed. or the laser if you can play it and track it down. you don't want to watch it dubbed in english or in madarin (the ritek is in mandarin, it's the taiwan release). unless you can read french then the french one might be cool, but then you need to be region free and pal.