Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

At the risk of looking stupid - how can you tell if a DVD is anamorphic?

At the risk of looking stupid - how can you tell if a DVD is anamorphic?

Old 10-06-03, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that would explain it. I never had heard of that feature before! The picture still looked like crap on my 57", so I figured it may have been something like this. Kind of odd that every other non-anamorphic DVD I have played so far in my malata displays as window-boxed.

Thanks for the info!

On a related note, has there been ANY indication that "The Thing" may be revisited as an anamorphic edition, either here or overseas?
Old 10-06-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Geminix
On a related note, has there been ANY indication that "The Thing" may be revisited as an anamorphic edition, either here or overseas?
Who knows what plans lurk in the heart of Universal? The Shadow know... oh wait, he probably doesn't.

Uni's done some anamorphic revisits of past cult classics (Scarface, Animal House) so I wouldn't be surprised if it came about in the future.

Funny I should mention The Shadow. That one isn't anamorphic either. In fact, it's full frame. Then Universal released a dts version!
... in full frame.

Old 10-06-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has been covered before in a previous thread. The Thing is definitively a non-anamorphic disc.
I just wanted to back up Josh on that. There was quite a fracas the first time we had a "my copy of The Thing is anamorphic!" post... I still have the second copy I bought sitting here doing nothing. We, meaning the DVDTalk community, definitely concluded what Josh said.

I know that doesn't help you much, Donnacha, but I wanted to help Josh stop it before it got out of hand.
Old 10-07-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I can tell because it doesn't look right on my TV...
Old 10-07-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Geminix
I popped my copy of The Thing in the other night, to see how it looked on my new 57" Widescreen Hitachi. I thought I had read it was not anamorphic, and a quick check of the box showed no signs of it, so I was just expecting to use my Malata's stretch feature to fill out my screen. Well, the movie came up, and it filled the width of my widescreen! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a sure sign that it is anamorphic?

My Malata was not zoomed in, nor was my TV. Everything was set as they usually are, and I popped in other DVDs to make sure.
When I got my Malata DVP-520 a few months ago, I was quite surprised to discover that it was “smart” enough to display many non-anamorphic discs in the correct ratio on my 16X9 TV, without having to use the zoom function or x, y scaling!

However, as near as I can tell, it’s somewhat of a DVD crapshoot, though most of my non-anamorphic discs, such as The Abyss, Armageddon, G.I. Jane, and Sister Act (just to name a few), are displayed correctly without any human intervention. A few other non-anamorphic discs, however (such as 2010, Sister Act 2 and The Black Hole) must be zoomed, as they are initially displayed with black bars on all sides.

I am not sure how the Malata knows to do this in the fist place, much less why it only knows to do it on select discs. In any case, I am thankful that it does, as it saves me the hassle of having to zoom-in on most of my non-anamorphic discs.
Old 10-07-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
This has been covered before in a previous thread. The Thing is definitively a non-anamorphic disc.

Malata DVD players have a feature built in which will scale some non-anamorphic discs to fill a widescreen display. The disc is still non-anamorphic.
I was fooled into thinking my R4 The Final Countdown was anamorphic before I learned this.
Old 10-07-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"How can you tell which ones it'll scale to fill?"

There's the million dollar question. How can one tell when a DVD is properly flagged as a letterboxed encoded disc? That is what needs to be done to tell the player that it can zoom the picture. The reason some letterboxed DVDs DO NOT display correctly is because some knucklehead decided to flag the DVD as a 4:3 when it clearly is not. This is the problem.
Old 10-08-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Exactly. The Malata reads the flags on the discs. If the disc is flagged to read "non-anamorphic letterbox", the Malata will scale it to fill a 16:9 display. But if the disc is just flagged as "4:3", the Malata thinks it's a full-frame transfer and will windowbox it instead.

There is no way to know in advance which way a specific disc is flagged.
Old 10-08-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Exactly. The Malata reads the flags on the discs. If the disc is flagged to read "non-anamorphic letterbox", the Malata will scale it to fill a 16:9 display. But if the disc is just flagged as "4:3", the Malata thinks it's a full-frame transfer and will windowbox it instead.

There is no way to know in advance which way a specific disc is flagged.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Here is the old thread in case anyone wants to read it...